Settling in with a new Anglican church

Hello to everyone!

I am new to a new ACNA church--the church was started last month. I come to this Anglican church, feeling both at home and on an adventure. My spiritual path, as my screen name suggests, is one that has led me in and out of several congregations, traditions, and, of course, spiritual growth through solitude. Some of my church traditions include Baptist, Wesleyan, Pentecostal, and Episcopal.

In the past I have filled my spiritual hours with the study of theology and Biblical interpretation. Now, my spirituality is almost exclusively devoted to praying the Divine Office, reading Scripture, and attending services at the new Anglican church in my community. I also have interests in backyard astronomy, nature, hiking, and bird watching.

The Bible translations I frequently use these days include the following (in order of personal preference).

[LIST=1]
*]Jerusalem Bible (JB) (1966)
*]New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) (1989)
*]King James Version, Cambridge University Press (KJV) (1990, 1995)
*]New International Version (NIV) (1984)
[/LIST]

I consider my spiritual bent to be contemplative. An Episcopal priest once told me that the church has never known what to do with contemplatives, except to provide monasteries for their unique spirituality. Well, I am married with two children and three grand children--so, a monastery is not an avenue open to me.

If you want to put a current label on me, how about Anglican Contemplative or Scottish Monk.

No, I do not live in Scotland. My ancestors left Edinburgh in 1723 A.D. and settled in Appalachia for seven generations--pretty much all of those years in the same hollow. Appalachia is a mountainous region where many Scotch/Irish folk migrated, My parents left Appalachia during the 1940s and migrated to a small town in the Midwest. After a business career, I retired and began making several trips a year to the sacred places of my Appalachian roots--the trips feel so good, my heart and soul sing out in praise to God in the midst of the Southern Highland mountains and numerous Scottish relatives.

I am glad to be in a new Anglican church and look forward to participating in this Anglican forum. I have much to learn, many questions to ask, and a few ideas to share.

...Scottish Monk

The night is clear. No porch lights or street lights invade the corner where I sit at my telescope . . . considering God's heavens and the work of his fingers.

[quote="Scottish_Monk, post:1, topic:285950"]
Hello to everyone!

I am new to a new ACNA church--the church was started last month. I come to this Anglican church, feeling both at home and on an adventure. My spiritual path, as my screen name suggests, is one that has led me in and out of several congregations, traditions, and, of course, spiritual growth through solitude. Some of my church traditions include Baptist, Wesleyan, Pentecostal, and Episcopal.

In the past I have filled my spiritual hours with the study of theology and Biblical interpretation. Now, my spirituality is almost exclusively devoted to praying the Divine Office, reading Scripture, and attending services at the new Anglican church in my community. I also have interests in backyard astronomy, nature, hiking, and bird watching.

The Bible translations I frequently use these days include the following (in order of personal preference).

[LIST=1]
*]Jerusalem Bible (JB) (1966)
*]New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) (1989)
*]King James Version, Cambridge University Press (KJV) (1990, 1995)
*]New International Version (NIV) (1984)
[/LIST]

I consider my spiritual bent to be contemplative. An Episcopal priest once told me that the church has never known what to do with contemplatives, except to provide monasteries for their unique spirituality. Well, I am married with two children and three grand children--so, a monastery is not an avenue open to me.

If you want to put a current label on me, how about Anglican Contemplative or Scottish Monk.

No, I do not live in Scotland. My ancestors left Edinburgh in 1723 A.D. and settled in Appalachia for seven generations--pretty much all of those years in the same hollow. Appalachia is a mountainous region where many Scotch/Irish folk migrated, My parents left Appalachia during the 1940s and migrated to a small town in the Midwest. After a business career, I retired and began making several trips a year to the sacred places of my Appalachian roots--the trips feel so good, my heart and soul sing out in praise to God in the midst of the Southern Highland mountains and numerous Scottish relatives.

I am glad to be in a new Anglican church and look forward to participating in this Anglican forum. I have much to learn, many questions to ask, and a few ideas to share.

...Scottish Monk

The night is clear. No porch lights or street lights invade the corner where I sit at my telescope . . . considering God's heavens and the work of his fingers.

[/quote]

Interesting intro.

But, as an Anglican myself, I'd have to point out that this is in no sense an Anglican forum.

It just seems like that, sometimes.

GKC

maybe you posting here on Catholic Answers is a sign…:slight_smile:

runs and hides:blush:

I was just speaking of schismatic "anglicans" on another thead.

Curious to fing this here just after.

find

[quote="andrewstx, post:4, topic:285950"]
I was just speaking of schismatic "anglicans" on another thead.

Curious to find this here just after.

[/quote]

andrewstx...

I had not thought of the new Anglican church in my community as "schismatic anglican," but I guess there is some truth to that phrase. However,the phrase I hear is "church renewal." Last week at Bible study at the new Anglican church, there were more people from the local Episcopal parish than any other church. Some of the folks still remaining with the Episcopal parish may think of our little group as schismatic, or something worse. :o

...Scottish Monk

It's a shame there is no social forums for Anglicans/Episcopalians.

[quote="bauerice, post:7, topic:285950"]
It's a shame there is no social forums for Anglicans/Episcopalians.

[/quote]

Try the following two forums:

forums.anglican.net

and

www.christianforums.com//f368/ subforum name is Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic

...Scottish Monk

[quote="Scottish_Monk, post:8, topic:285950"]
Try the following two forums:

forums.anglican.net

and

www.christianforums.com//f368/ subforum name is Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic

...Scottish Monk

[/quote]

Thanks, I know what I'll be checking out tomorrow.

As a new ACNA member, you might find this interesting.

reporter.lcms.org/pages/rpage.asp?NavID=20018

Welcome to CAF.
Jon

JonNC...

Thank you for the link to the Dialogue Report (2010-2012) of the Anglican Church in North America and The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.

...Scottish Monk

[quote="Scottish_Monk, post:6, topic:285950"]
andrewstx...

I had not thought of the new Anglican church in my community as "schismatic anglican," but I guess there is some truth to that phrase. However,the phrase I hear is "church renewal." Last week at Bible study at the new Anglican church, there were more people from the local Episcopal parish than any other church. Some of the folks still remaining with the Episcopal parish may think of our little group as schismatic, or something worse. :o

...Scottish Monk

[/quote]

No, I don't think any Episcopalian would think of you as worse than schismatic.

On the other hand, in Catholic ecclesiology schismatic is pretty bad. . . .

But on the other hand, again, arguably we are all schismatics (certainly all non-Roman Western Christians are, and at least three of the four unquestionably apostolic communions are. . . . )

Edwin

Contarini...

Thank you for your comments.

Scottish Monk

I used to belong to TEC before the schisms began, but even my ex-parish considered going into schism over the new (at that time) prayer book. Monk did you used to be in the diocese of Springfield Il. noticed you are in the midwest.

I was in Springfield at the time, but I was Catholic monk.

[quote="Scottish_Monk, post:6, topic:285950"]

However,the phrase I hear is "church renewal."

[/quote]

Just be careful there. Martin Luther thought that was all he was doing too.... It seems to be a hazardous undertaking.

We get some excellent Anglican input here. I've learned much from users GKC and Contarini especially.

as did John Wesley:)

[quote="manualman, post:15, topic:285950"]
Just be careful there. Martin Luther thought that was all he was doing too.... It seems to be a hazardous undertaking.

We get some excellent Anglican input here. I've learned much from users GKC and Contarini especially.

[/quote]

I've learned form Contarini, too.

GKC

[quote="andrewstx, post:14, topic:285950"]
I used to belong to TEC before the schisms began, but even my ex-parish considered going into schism over the new (at that time) prayer book. Monk did you used to be in the diocese of Springfield Il. noticed you are in the midwest.

I was in Springfield at the time, but I was Catholic monk.

[/quote]

andrewstx...

No, I was in the diocese of Lexington, Kentucky.

Were you cloistered as a Catholic monk?

...Scottish Monk

manualman…

Thank you for your comments.

…Scottish Monk

No I was in an active congregation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.