Seven Sorrows Rosary

Do you pray the Rosary of the 7 Sorrows? If so, what are your feelings about it? Do any of you say it in place of the regular rosary or just pray it alongside the regular rosary?

Sometimes pray that one and also the Franciscian Crown Rosary.
Paul

I just learned about it a few days ago, and I was just about to make a post asking about it! I have never prayed it, but I’m really wanting to do it sometime soon. Of the four sets of mysteries for the regular rosary, the Sorrowful ones are my favorites (that sounds odd, I think?) so I think meditating on Mary’s sorrows will be a good way for me to pray. And since I’ve heard there’s an indulgence attached to it, I’m determined to pray it! Can’t have too many of those. :smiley:

An AMAZING article on the Seven Sorrows of Mary, for a fuller and deeper comprehension. :slight_smile: THANK YOU 7rosario for originally posting this link :thumbsup:

On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors

Instructions for the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows marysprayersrosaries.com/sevensorrows.asp

Note: to the best of my imperfect knowledge, the Mother of the Word in the apparitions at Kibeho, Rwanda where she prophesied a “river of blood” if repentance, conversion, and prayer did not happen asked us to pray the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows, the Most Holy Rosary, and join the Legion of Mary.

Another awesome chaplet:
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Another awesome litany:
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

Other powerful Mary and Jesus instruments:
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Divine Mercy in My Soul: St. Mary Faustina’s Diary saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

St. Paul, St. Francis of Assisi, St. John of the Cross, St. Edith Stein, St. Josephine Bakhita, St. Teresa of Avila, may you pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary to pray to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for us!! :thumbsup:

May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary grant us the graces that we desperately need, particularly an overflowing amount of love and mercy and wisdom!! May the LOVE and MERCY of the Sacred Heart of Jesus be known, glorified, believed, adored, loved, venerated, and praised forever and ever, by all souls, in all creation!! May the WONDERS of the Immaculate Heart of Mary be known, loved, believed, venerated, and respected by all souls, in all places, in all time!! AMEN!! AMEN!! AMEN!!

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I have this Rosary and I used to pray it three times a week (Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday), as directed by a very holy priest. Unfortunately, now I am out of practice doing that (my rosary broke and I need to get it fixed…). It is very beautiful, though. I love praying it because it gives me more time to meditate on Christ’s Passion and Mary’s Sorrows. It’s very, very beautiful. I cannot recommend it enough.

I take it the priest was from Miles Christi.

It was! It’s a wonderful devotion they are spreading. :slight_smile:

God bless!

I would love to get started on this devotion..but I'm getting confused of which instructions (too many versions on the web) I should be using. Is there an 'official' instruction as such?

God bless you all!!

[quote="tchtax, post:8, topic:136723"]
I would love to get started on this devotion..but I'm getting confused of which instructions (too many versions on the web) I should be using. Is there an 'official' instruction as such?

God bless you all!!

[/quote]

I recommend this version. kibeho.org/en/spirituality.php
kibeho.org/assets/pdf/therosary.pdf
It is an approved version based on an approved private revelation.

I want to pray it regularly (the sorrowful mysteries are my favorite also) but it requires a special rosary and all the ones I have found online are very expensive, like $20 or more! I don't have a lot of money right now. I have tried praying it using knotted string, but it's ... not the same as beads.

I say the Seven Sorrows Rosary twice a week, Tuesday and Friday. On Friday I say it at Eucharistic Adoration.

My question is I have a hard time meditating on the first mystery. Why was it so painful for Mary? I know for myself if someone told me when my son was being baptized that a sword would pierce me, I'm not sure how I would react but I'm not sure it would cause me sorrow. :confused:

Can someone elaborate on this?

Thank you.

I think that is because this is when Mary realized what will happen to Jesus.

[quote="Monica4316, post:12, topic:136723"]
I think that is because this is when Mary realized what will happen to Jesus.

[/quote]

She as a woman was taught about the sufferings of the Messiah? If so, then why were so many Jews focused on a temporal king?

Lk 2: 22-35

22 And when the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23 (as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male that opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord”) 24 and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the Lord, “a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.” 25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27 And inspired by the Spirit he came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law, 28 he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, 29 “*Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word; 30 for mine eyes have seen thy salvation 31 which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples, 32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to thy people Israel.” *33 And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him; 34 and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against 35 (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.”

Maybe reading the Biblical text will help?

[quote="reginacaeli, post:14, topic:136723"]
Lk 2: 22-35

22 And when the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23 (as it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every male that opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord") 24 and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons." 25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ. 27 And inspired by the Spirit he came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law, 28 he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, 29 "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word; 30 for mine eyes have seen thy salvation 31 which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples, 32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to thy people Israel." *33 And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him; 34 and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against 35 (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed*."

Maybe reading the Biblical text will help?

[/quote]

Thanks but I tried that and it doesn't really help. I also have read the description on Immaculée Ilibagiza's website (can't fiind it now). It was very descriptive. I was made aware of the Seven Sorrows Rosary while reading about Our Lady of Kibeho.

Hi. I’m so glad I found this post. I just found out about this too and feel like I found it for a reason. My older sister is still struggling with breast cancer and I am overwhelmed with life. I feel that going to Mother Mary and being reminded of how she struggled and is strong will help me through this.

[quote="eli1118, post:16, topic:136723"]
Hi. I'm so glad I found this post. I just found out about this too and feel like I found it for a reason. My older sister is still struggling with breast cancer and I am overwhelmed with life. I feel that going to Mother Mary and being reminded of how she struggled and is strong will help me through this.

[/quote]

^ This is a lot like my experience with the seven sorrows rosary, too. When I made my first rosary (I have yet to actually buy one. All my rosaries and chaplets are made by me.) I looked up the idea of chaplets, because our school had a divine mercy chaplet on Fridays anybody could go to, and then I found this one. It's a great help in tough times, in my experience.

Hello, everyone!

I have been looking for information about how to pray the dolorosary. Is it the same as the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows? Can anyone fill me in on these things. They are all new to me. Thanks so much! Blessings!

If you get a chance, read of the seven sorrows in ‘Glories of Mary’ by St. Alphonsus De Liguori. It has a deep insight to the revelation that Mary had when the words of St. Simeon were spoken to her. It was at this point that She fully realized the depths of Christ’s suffering, both inwardly (He was called demon possessed, glutton and drunkard, a sorcerer, a blasphemer) and outwardly. She was also made keenly aware of the fact that she would be at the foot of the cross but without the chance to console her son in his most painful hour. It’s during this mystery that she began her ‘dry’ martyrdom and spent the next 33 years suffering with Jesus. She told either St. Gertrude or St. Brigette that everytime she was doing some task with Jesus, she was freshly reminded of His sufferings and death.

How interesting you posted this today. On Friday, I had a discussion with my pastor about various questions I had on the Faith. I told him my difficulties in understanding the sorrow of Our Blessed Mother with Simeon’s prophesy as well as the question of how much education on the Torah did young Jewish women have during that time. He said that we have to remember that Mary by being the Holy Spirit’s spouse received supernatural graces that allowed her to know what Jesus would endure for us. It sounds like that my pastor was using St Alphonsus’ info to share with me. I’ll have to ask him if that was his source.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.