Seventh day Adventist Church

Who are they? What are their beliefs ? Are they Christian ? How do they view the Catholic Church?

They hate the Catholic Church and their “prophetess” Ellen G. White, has a metric boatload of lies and other propaganda in their favorite book. The Great Controversy (or whatever other deceptive name they also publish in under…). Nasty customers…

I would not presume to say whether they are Christian or not, but they purport themselves to be.:shrug:

These links from CA’s apologists should help fill you in.

It ain’t a pretty picture, so be prepared.

[LIST]
*] Why do Catholics worship on Sunday?
*] Who started the Seventh-Day Adventists?
*] How do I talk with a Seventh-Day Adventist?
*] Can you recommend resources on Seventh-Day Adventism?
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*] Seventh-day Adventism
*]What about the Seventh-day Adventist claim that the sabbath shouldn’t have been changed to Sunday?
*] Sabbath or Sunday?
[/LIST]

You might also want to look over this fairly current thread. Former SDA Thinking of converting to Catholic

They believe the Catholic Church is the Anti-Christ and the Pope as the false prophet. They also think that anyone who worships on Sunday rather than Saturday has the mark of the beast. I find this interesting that this one scripture is often said to refer to the Catholic Church because of the forbidding of marrying and abstaining from meat on Fridays for lent and praying to saints but fits the Seventh Day Adventist so well.
1 Timothy 4:1-4

1But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;

The SDA likes to follow the OT more than other Christian sects. They like to follow Moses’ Law
Such as what is considered clean to eat and what is not for example.
They also believe the angel Micheal is the same as Jesus.
They are also taught to be weary of other teachings not approved by their church or their founder’s writings.

(Yes I know the Catholic church does not teach that they must abstain or pray to saints and forbidding to marry only applies to those who dedicate themselves. The “abstaining” I understand is nothing more than just a fast. I am just saying that the same scripture that many people use against Catholics fits better to the SDA)

There is a lot of information about them in the Essential Catholic Survival Guide, a Catholic Answers production. Yes, they are true Christians via their belief in the trinity and their trinitarian baptism. We actually share quite a few beliefs with them, but their reliance on the “visions” of an allegedly brain-damaged, mercury poisoned “prophetess” is seriously flawed.

I don’t think they understand the 8th Commandment! God Bless, Memaw

Just one more of The Great Heresies

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.