seventh day adventists argue about some matters

hi im a roman catholic. the seventh day adventists argue with me about a lot of things.i feel ashamed that i dont know.i realy need answers to these questions.

1. they argue that we should not pray for departed souls,they say that its God’s wish, its God’s soul he will do what ever he wants…

2. they argue over us catholics believing strongly in the rosary prayer, our devotion to mother mary, they even want to know the origin of the rosary, y r we so devoted to it,they argue that there is nothing about the rosary in the bible. why should we say it.

i told them that the prayer hail mary is taken from the bible…but they keep askin who told us to say it ten times??

1. the prayers we say…they argue the prayers we say is all by heart…we dont say our prayers from our mind…

i have not lost my faith hearing these things…but i would really like to give them answers and shut them up. the way they talk and argue with me as though my religion is fake and made up…

i really need your help here…

The Bible tells us to pray for the dead, but it’s probably not in their Bible. You have to use to complete Bible to find it. Remind them that if they aren’t using the Catholic Bible, they aren’t using a complete Bible.

We pray for the dead who are enduring purgation. Those in Heaven don’t need prayers, obviously. Those who are in Hell can’t be helped by our prayers. Those in purgatory, though, can be helped by prayers. Remind them (they probably don’t know) that souls in purgatory are being cleansed. They will enter Heaven, not Hell.

You already pointed out that the Hail Mary and the Our Father are biblical prayers. What more do they need to know?

Ask them if they think it is wrong to repeat passages from the Bible? (The Hail Mary)

Ask them where the Bible tells us not to recite these passages. If it is not anti-biblical, what right do they have to deny its validity?

Also, ask them what it is about the number 10 that they have a problem with.

Hand them instructions on “saying” the rosary. I think most non-Catholics have no idea that this is a meditative prayer and not a mindless repetition of the same prayer for repetition’s sake. They seem to think that the duration (the number of repetitions) is what the prayer is about.

Catholics pray is all kinds of ways. We have memorized prayer, like the Lord’s Prayer. Funny how so many non-Catholic Christians chide Catholics for our prayers, yet themselves say the Lord’s Prayer from memory.

Non-Catholic Christians make the mistake of thinking that Catholics, because we have a plethora of memorized prayers to choose from, that that is the limit of our prayer life.

How ignorant of them to assume such a thing. How narrow-minded.

Your mind has to be incredibly prejudiced against Catholicism to assume that because there are a lot of prayers written down, those are the only prayers Catholics say. And “say”. Prayer takes so many, many forms. To limit prayer to spoken (or thought) words is ludicrous.

It sounds like their prayer life could use a little boost. When you give them the rosary instruction booklet (it costs less than a dollar), also give them a rosary (you can find inexpensive rosaries for about a dollar.) Consider this expense part of your tithe. It’s money well-spent.

I assume that you know these people fairly well. It sounds like they are being very rude. If you are uncomfortable with their accusations, tell them that this is your religion, and you will not tolerate their denouncing it. You don’t owe them an explanation. If they want to know more, and they can’t be polite in their questioning, point them to the Catechism of the Catholic Faith. Also, “Why Do Catholics Do That” is a good book to introduce some common Catholic things.

If they’re not interested in the questions to bother looking at these books, they’re only asking the questions to try to prove to you that your faith is wrong. They probably think they’ve found an easy target.

You could bring your copy of the CCC with you. When they ask a question, tell them to look it up. That should take the wind out of their sails. There’s no fun in getting the answer if you can’t, in the process, belittle a Catholic’s faith. :wink:

Welcome to CAF, andre. Besides this Forum, Catholic Answers offers many excellent resources addressing the teaching of the Catholic Church. If you go to “Faith” at the top of the page you will find a library and ThisRock magazine articles available. You can search there for a particular topic. Also check out this website:

diesdomini.com/index.html

SDAs were plaguing us - and at one point said after Jesus comes again, there will still be an earth with people dwelling on it. They used the Our Father "They will be done on earth as it is in heaven’ - a far stretch. I replied, ‘No, it’s death, judgement, heaven or hell’ and that’s the end of it…everyone goes ‘someplace’ .
At any rate, my husband, a recent convert, at the last of his RCIA education, greeted them and I was astounded! They were so tired of his Bible based rebuttals, they left (after about an hour) and now drop by only every other month or so. It’s true, converts do seem to know more than cradle Catholics.

hello thank you so very much for your reply.

i would like to ask u a few more questions if u dont mind.
you told me that The Bible tells us to pray for the dead,
could u plz tell me the chapter and verse were i can find it. because i’m very much sure they will be asking me that question.

and about the rosary they want to kno who made the way we say the rosary?? about the Lord’s prayer they argue that jesus himself said to say it…

yes u are correct the people are really colse to me. i am studying in another city away from my family. i live with my uncle who married a 7th adventist. she and her family keep arguing with me.

and there is another question i’d like to ask u, it is mentioned in the bible that we should not worship false idols,we should not make any replica of anything in heaven,I’m an selfish God and i will punish those who worship idols. this is wat the bible says.

but we catholics have made statues of all saints,mother mary, we go to grottos etc. are we doing anything wrong here?? my mom told me that the statues are only to put our attention in our prayers…

i hope i’m not annoying you with my questions…

thank you so much for your help

Andre

Not everything that Catholics practice is in the Bible. The Rosary is not in the Bible. The first half of Hail Mary is in the Bible, but not the second half. Catholics do not worship statues. Your mother is right - listen to your mother. Sounds like you need more Catholic education - get a catechism book or take a class!

Andre,

We do not ‘worship false idols’ in statues - they are mere representative images of those saints, martyrs’, the BVM etc.,to whom we pray to INTERCEDE for us with the Lord in granting our prayers, requests.
We offer prayers of praise to the BVM as the Mother of God-any power she has (such as apparations in Fatima, Guadalupe etc.) are given her by God -

The Ten Commandments and the Bible refer to Idols as ‘false gods’ (thou shalt not put FALSE GODS before me - in other words our God is the only God to whom we should pray; and the SDA chooses to ALWAYS call refer to icons/statues as idols. This has been going on for decades, even with repeated explanation to them - so just ignore them and their weird and sometimes freaky interpretation of THEIR bible (which is NOT our bible). .

You should nicely tell the SDA who is plauging you with contradictions that she is welcome to her beliefs, that they are not yours and you are not interested in hearing any more. Then read, read, read your Catechism and Bible.

God Bless you in your efforts.

You can find it in Maccabees in the old Testament as well ia this is a practise carried from the Jewish faith.

and about the rosary they want to kno who made the way we say the rosary?? about the Lord’s prayer they argue that jesus himself said to say it…

This link can give you a good back ground on the Rosary

rosaries4u.com/history.html

yes u are correct the people are really colse to me. i am studying in another city away from my family. i live with my uncle who married a 7th adventist. she and her family keep arguing with me.

Tell they and her that you are willing to discuss the faith and answer thier question but you will not listen to abusive attacks.

and there is another question i’d like to ask u, it is mentioned in the bible that we should not worship false idols,we should not make any replica of anything in heaven,I’m an selfish God and i will punish those who worship idols. this is wat the bible says.

but we catholics have made statues of all saints,mother mary, we go to grottos etc. are we doing anything wrong here?? my mom told me that the statues are only to put our attention in our prayers…

No we are not disobeying God with have Status of the Saints. as we do not worship them. If you look at Exodus were God gave the Commandments not to make graven images (false gods and idols) you will see that when that God also had them creat the image of angles to go on the Ark of the covenant. The stus of the Angels and Saints in Catholic Churches are ther to help focus on how this that person devoted theirselves to God and to help us reflet on it to do so in our own lives as well.
i hope i’m not annoying you with my questions…

thank you all so much for helping me out.
God Bless you

Andre

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.