Seventh-day Adventist's Sabbath and Catholic's Sunday

Seventh-day Adventists claim that the Sabbath, not Sunday, is the Lord’s day and cite Mark 2:28 as proof. But is this accurate?

Read Mark 2:23 through Mark 3:6. Then read Matthew 12:1-14 for an account of the same events. Jesus and His disciples, by going through the field picking wheat on the sabbath were breaking the commandments of God regarding the observance of the sabbath, and not some made up burdensome traditions of the Pharisees, as SDAs like to assert (see Ex.16:29, Ex.20:10, Ex.31:14-15, 35:1-3, Lev.23:1-3, Num.15:32-36). I ask SDAs why they feel free to disregard these very clear commandments of God regarding Sabbath observance?

Did Jesus teach that these commandments will change or go away?

Notice what Jesus tells the Pharisees in Matt.12:3-8. They are treating Him as one who is profaning the Temple and the Sabbath. But Jesus points out two things.

1.That He is greater than the temple, which was the center of the world of the Jewish religion, but later to be destroyed.

1. That He is greater than the sabbath because He is even Lord of the sabbath. After the resurrection of Jesus, the Sabbath, like the Temple, was no longer binding for Christians because it was, as Paul points out in Col.2:16-17, a shadow of the Reality who is Jesus Christ.

Now, we know that the temple was immediately profaned when Christ, upon the cross proclaimed, “it is finished”, and the veil that separated the holy place from the most holy place in the temple was torn in two. Some 40 years later the Temple was destroyed completely and the Jews no longer have access to use it to this day.

But what about the sabbath? And what about Sunday? What does the Bible show to support that this change from Sabbath to Sunday, was not made by man, or by the Catholic Church centuries after the resurrection, but by Jesus Christ Himself, and accepted and taught by His Apostles?

Does the Holy Bible support that this change from Sabbath to Sunday was made by Jesus Christ Himself? Let’s see what the Bible says about Jesus and the first day of the week.

1. *Jesus rose on the first day of the week and appeared to the women (Matthew chapters 27-28, Mark chapter 16, Luke chapter 24, John chapter 20)

2. *On the evening of that first day of the week, the day of the resurrection, Jesus appears to His disciples, confirms to them that He is risen in a real body, breathes on them and gives them the Holy Spirit for the first time, and gives them the authority to forgive sins or retain sins (John 20:19-23). *Thomas was not there.

3. Eight days later, which is the next first day of the week, Sunday, Jesus meets with the disciples again now that Thomas is there (John 20:24-29) and Thomas has his belief confirmed.

4. *50 days after the resurrection on the day of Pentecost, (which was the first day of the week, Sunday) when the Apostles were all gathered in one place, and a great crowd was with them, Jesus who was then ascended to heaven sent the Holy Spirit with great signs and great power and the Church officially began with 3,000 people being baptized (Acts chapter 2). *And after they were baptized the believers dedicated themselves to the apostles teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread (which is communion that Jesus instituted at the last supper), and the prayers (Acts 2:37-42).

5. *Acts 20:7-12 recounts the event of Paul meeting with believers on the first day of the week, Sunday, to break bread (which is communion that Jesus instituted at the last supper).

So, what do we conclude from the Bible?

1. *That after the resurrection, Jesus established the routine of meeting with His disciples on the first day of the week.

2. *That this weekly meeting on the first day of the week was where God poured out His Holy Spirit in abundance on the crowd gathered and began the work of His Church (Pentecost). *And that those who believed and were baptized, dedicated themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, the breaking of bread, or communion, and to the prayers.

3. *That this weekly meeting on the first day of the week was in regular occurrence when Paul met with believers in Acts 20, for the sole purpose of breaking bread, or celebrating communion.

And it was from the resurrection forward that the believers in Jesus Christ regularly met on Sunday, and that the Apostles and their successors referred to Sunday as the Lord’s Day.

Now, SDAs say that the sabbath was still in full effect for the followers of Jesus Christ after the resurrection, and that it is the sabbath, not Sunday, which is called the Lord’s Day. *So I have some questions for SDAs, and I would like your responses to be from the Bible and the Bible alone…not Ellen White, not youtube videos, or anything else…but from the Bible and the Bible alone as I just showed you above regarding Sunday.

1. *Where in the Biblical record after the resurrection do we find Jesus entering a synagogue on the sabbath, as was His custom before the crucifixion?

2. *Where in the Biblical record after the resurrection do we find Jesus meeting with His disciples, or anyone else for that matter, on the sabbath?

3. *Where in the Biblical record after the resurrection, do we find believers in Jesus Christ meeting on the sabbath to break bread, i.e., participate in communion as instituted and commanded by Jesus Christ to His disciples at the last supper?

4. *Where in the Biblical record after, or even before, the resurrection, do we find Jesus or His disciples and apostles teaching anything anywhere that the choice between worshipping God on the Sabbath or worshipping God on Sunday will be the final and ultimate test of mankind in salvation history, determining whether or not they receive the seal of God (which SDAs believe is Sabbath keeping) or the mark of the beast (which SDAs believe is worshipping God on Sunday), thereby determining whether a person enters eternal life or eternal damnation?

God bless all!!!

Just to supplement the topic, we can also remember that the writers of the four gospels, and the tellers of the oral stories that preceded them, chose episodes that would be relevant for their listeners or readers. Obviously the core events of Christ’s life are inherently important for any Christians, but when it comes to teachings and miracles and the smaller controversies of Christ’s life we can see a reflection of the issues relevant to later Christians in what true words and events they chose to include and what emphasis they placed upon them.

For example, in his earthly ministry Christ never seriously challenged Jewish dietary laws, but since this was a major controversy in later decades we see a wealth of episodes recounted that are often only remotely related to the subject but which are squeezed (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of course) for as much relevance to the later controversy as possible. An example would be Mark 7: 1-22. Here we see a minor controversy between the Pharisees and Jesus about the disciples eating with unwashed hands. In the course of it Jesus makes a general statement that what enters a man does not defile, but what comes out of him, from his heart, that is what defiles. Here Mark inserts a declaration that “Thus he declared all foods clean.”

This is, incidentally, good evidence that the gospel writers did not feel free to make up stories to tell the spiritual truths they wished to impart, but felt bound to accurately represent the real words and actions of Jesus Christ. Otherwise why address the subject in such a roundabout way, with the important interpretation given by Mark in his own voice rather than in the words of Jesus? But more relevant to this discussion, it demonstrates this concept of drawing from true stories of Jesus in order to address more recent controversies that had arisen within the Church or between the Church and the non-Christian Jews.

I would propose that the many accounts of Christ breaking, if only in minor ways, the Pharisees’ interpretation of the Sabbath rest, and his declaring himself the “lord of the Sabbath”, are likely another example of this. From the level of attention given to it, it seems likely that the subject of the Sabbath was controversial either within the Church or between Christians and non-Christian Jews at the time the gospels were written. Furthermore it is apparent that the gospel writers were on the side of change, implying through tangentially related episodes that the Church has authority to make changes regarding this subject in general.

I guess they are just 1 step away from being in full conformity with the 1st Century Judaizers that St. Paul and St. Peter had to deal with. (Requiring to circumcise converts :D)

When you do not have the light of the Church that Jesus founded to guide and only have your own intelect to decide what is true all kind of heresies tend to sprout.
It is the fruit of Sola Scriptura.

Peace :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for this! I really needed this! Do you mind if I use this? :smiley: :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

For Pete’s sake, does it really matter. Seems mighty petty to me. We have to celebrate the Lord’s Day some day, any day is fine with me. The Catholic Church has always chosen Sunday because it is the first day of the week and Tradition tells us that Christ Rose from the Dead on the First day of the week. So our Sunday is a commeration of Christ’s Resurrection. ( CCC, para 2174,2175 )

Linus2nd

Hi CrispSnowflake,

No, I do not mind at all if you this…in fact I encourage that you use it and pass it on to any and all whom you know that have connections and interactions with SDAs, and with SDAs who try to convert you or family or friends.

God bless all!!!

Hi Linus2nd,

No it really does not matter for those who trust in Jesus Christ and live in Him, and worship God in Spirit and in Truth.

But SDAs are the fastest grown protestant denomination in the world, particularly in Catholic countries. Their rapid growth is based on a message of anti-Catholicism and a very convincing message put together based on the writings of Ellen G. White, with cherry-picked Bible verses to support the Ellen G. White Story.

I share this for Christians to use when dealing with SDAs.

But what I really hope for is to hear SDAs answer the last 5 questions in my post above…if they can.

God bless all!!!

Hi JerryZ,

No they are not just 1 step away from the 1st century Judaizers…they are leading the way in the 21st century.

God bless all!!!

[quote=chero23]This is great stuff, I remember asking my gf why did Paul celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday (I believe it was in acts chapter 20 not sure) her response was bc he had to travel the next day. I told her, come on now, he could of done it on Saturday and keep the whole sabbath tradition.

I am going through a set of struggles with her. Every time we read the bible and something pops up like, God will be with those who only keep the commandments she states write that verse down its important. So I asked her, ok you guys accept contraception, the Bible which is Gods word states that one must be open to kids. Plus contraception has known side effects of causing strokes, mental problems, and pulmonary embolisms which cause death, which goes against thou shall not kill commandment. She responds but we keep the sabbath. Then I tell her you believe that Mary had more children when the bible states otherwise. Her response once again was, we keep the sabbath. I told her, your like those denominations who preach the once saved always saved fiasco.

But I’m working on 100 different things that as we Catholics we believe in from the 7 sacraments, to Mary, the rosary, the mass, the saints, all the topics that their is to defend ourselves.

Good job on this
[/quote]

Hi chero23,

Not only do they accept contraception, they also accept abortion and allow them to be performed in their hospitals.

Here is a link to the SDA official website and their official guidance on abortion…take note of paragraph 4) from the beginning of the document.

SDA official policy and guidance on abortion

Pray for them.

God bless all!!!

I was telling my gf that her only defense is the argument of the sabbath which is wrong on the terms for us Christians. I have slowly showed her stuff that they teach that go against scripture like contraception, Mary’ s virginity, the importance of the Eucharist, and now abortion.

Her only defense when she is cornered is well we keep the sabbath. What they don’t understand is that when Jesus passed his authority to the church he gave it with infallibility, and free of error. Their church teaches a lot of errors and is leading ppl to wrong.

The SDA’s are trying to convert me, haha. (No lie) Thank you! :smiley: :slight_smile:

I’ve been getting unsolicited SDA books in my mail box. It is weird. It is a little disconcerting. One of the books is called THE GREAT CONTROVERSY and it looks like a 700 page diatribe against catholicism. So, I reckon, SDA folk must be engaging in a evangelism program in my locale.

PS: I’ve tossed out a number of the books they’ve left. I will toss out the rest after browsing them.

The books will no doubt speak of the Sabbath being stolen by the Pope but that’s not the main thing going on here…
…What the SDA’s will push for is getting accross their “Arian” teachings.
…Such as the real God would have eternally annihilated Christ had He sinned.

Hi CrispSnowflake,

If you meet with them, just be sure to read the verse before and after the cherry-picked verses they will present to you to try and get you to believe the Ellen G. White Story. My prayers are with you. If you have any questions or need any additional help in dealing with them please let me know and I will do what I can.

God bless all!!!

Ok several points. 1, I remember my gf stating the Sunday was changed by Constantine and the pope. I did my investigation and was able to find the edict of Milan.have that handy. He edict allowed Christians to celebrate publicly not privately. When I showed my gf from a non catholic biased report about, and it stated that the early Christians celebrated on Sunday and not Saturday she was shocked bc that’s how she was taught.

1. What do you mean by Arian teachings? How do they teach that about god annihilating Christ had he sinned?

There are some quotes from official SDA sources below in the links…
…SDA’s say that Christ was subject to change and was “mutable”.
…They do not say this about The Father.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10669162&postcount=88

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10660695&postcount=80

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10660695&postcount=80

They also believe that Christ could have sinned and failed in His plan to redeem mankind from sin.

God bless all!!!

You know what is so sad they think bc they worship on Saturdays that they are saved. But on 2 moral issues, contraception and abortion they have it so wrong. When I read your link about their Position on abortion I thought about this verse.
Deut. 30:19
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live

I guess our SDA brothers and sisters did not take this verse into consideration when they took their stance on contraception and abortion.

Hi chero23,

And equally sad is that they think because everyone else worships God on Sunday, they are doomed to hell.

There is a very small minority of pro-life SDAs who try to right this wrong in their denomination. I tried in the early 1990s, but was ignored, as are most pro-life SDAs today. I think it is very important for us who respect the sanctify of life to pray the Rosary for these pro-life SDAs and their efforts.

Interesting that you quote Deut.30:19. There is man who is leading the way in pro-life efforts in the SDA denomination who quotes this verse often. It is almost his motto. He authored the best, if not the only, book on the truth of the abortion issue in the SDA denomination. It is a very interesting and enlightening read! Here is a link to that book:

From Pro-life to Pro-choice: The Dramatic Shift in Seventh-day Adventist’s Attitudes Towards Abortion

If anything…as the SDA denomination ages…it is moving farther and farther away from God and His commandments, rather closer and closer to them.

Please pray for SDAs.

God bless all!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.