Seventh Day Adventists & Soul Sleep

Calling all Seventh Day Adventists:

Defend your position on Soul Sleep please.

I understand that you believe that the soul and body are inseparable. And when you die, you soul goes to sleep until the second coming of the Lord. The soul does not go directly to God for judgement. So where does the soul reside until Christ’s second coming?

I think you answered your own question :slight_smile: The soul and body are inseperable. Upon death we cease to be a soul, but become as were were before God created us, that is, a mixture of Carbon, Silicon, and other elements which compose dust. As it says in Genesis 2:7, “And God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into His nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul”. When we die, “then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit (breath) shall return to God who gave it” Ecclesiastes 12:7. We cease to be a soul upon death. We did not exist before God created us. He formed us and breathed His breath of life into us. When we die, our body goes back to the dust, and God’s breath of life returns to Him, and it is as though we never existed.

At the Ressurrection, Jesus will call forth the dead, as He did Lazarus. Lazarus was dead four days, he had already began to decompose. When Jesus said, “Lazarus, come forth” He put Lazarus back together. The righteous dead and living will hear Jesus’ voice at the first ressurrection and come forth to eternal life. The wicked dead are raised for judgement a thousand years later. Then the wicked are cast into the lake of fire, which is the same as the pre-ressurrection state of the dead. As Jude tells us, Sodom and Gommorha are currently suffering the vengance of eternal fire (Jude 1:7).

God Bless!

-Servus

Some Scriptures to consider are Psalm 13:3, Isaiah 38:18-19. Job 7:21, Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, Psalm 22:29, Ezekiel 18:4, 1 Thess. 4:13-15, 1 Tim. 6:16

In attempting to define “soul” according to the breadth of Biblical usages for the Hebrew “nephesh” or Greek “psyche,” Adventists fail to isolate a single theological concept of the “soul.” Many do not consider the soul an entity in any way distinguishable from the body. An animate body is a “soul” (cf. Gen 2:7, and thus the “soul” is dissolved at death); alternatively, “soul” may refer to the animation itself (1 Kings 17:22, where the “soul” [life] is lost at death). Either of this usages demonstrate the impropriety of alleging that Adventists believe in “soul sleep” (psychopannychia).

By contrast, Adventists are certain as to what a soul is NOT: the immaterial essence of man that consciously survives physical death. Adventist theology excludes the notion of conscious thought in death, as the intellectual capacity of man (exclusively constituted in his material nervous activity) has been dissolved.

The Adventist did not answer the other question. Where are the souls of those that have died if they are neither in hell nor in heaven.

LIMBO?

…getting answer

You have answered your own question again. Their souls are with their bodies - waiting for the resurrection.

Peace…

So if you get blown to smitherans by an IUD, is your soul in a million pieces or if you get eaten by shark and get crapped out and mixed in the ocean, you soul is everywhere?

Two simple questions for SDA brothers,

Revelation 6:9-11

9When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” 11Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed.

How did those people get into heaven under God’s altar?

Ephesians 4:7-13

7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why it says:
** “When he ascended on high,
he led captives in his train **
and gave gifts to men.” 9(What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions[c]? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Who were the captives in Jesus’ train, and where did they go?

I heard an Adventist pastor once say that when you die you exist only in the mind of God.

Thats probably as close as Adventists will get to comfort at a funeral.

What they actually beleive is that a human is a living being (soul) and that when death comes, that being ceases to exist. There is no existence in death. Only when the resurrection occurs will that person ‘live’ again. Death is total unconsciousness. The wicked will be totally obliterated and have no existence of any kind whatsoever after their disposal in the Lake of fire.

They seem to ignore this clear teaching of St. Paul:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8
"Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- for we walk by faith, not by sight-- we are of good courage, I say... and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."

He clearly says we can be ‘absent from the body’. Therefore, we are not an inseperable body+breath= ‘living soul’ which has no existence after life ceases.

Philippians 1:21-24
"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I don’t know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake."

The adventist idea that we are unconscious until we have a body again in the resurrection is not biblical.

If St. Paul knew he would not be conscious again until the second comming, why would he desire to ‘depart and be with Christ’? An early death will not hasten the second comming, and how could unconsciousness be ‘better’ than remaining and completing his work?

MarysRoses

10 Commandments, graven images

Bravo! very good rebuttal!

Mary, I’d hate to “steal” your post so, can you do me a favor and just reprinted that post over on this thread? This guy, Carl, is an SDA and he really needs to read this awesome post!!!

done on Mary’s behalf

Thanks, Joey!! I couldn’t figure out how to quote a post on a different thread, if you understand what I’m saying.

If souls sleep, can they snore too?

Multitasking! Multiple Windows open!
LOL!

:rotfl:

It must be so much more depressing for an SDA when someone dies. To think I simply cease to exist at death is not a good feeling.

bookmark

?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.