Seventh-day Adventists to decide whether women can become clergy

Here’s something from today’s Washington Post about a vote by the Seventh-day Adventists this coming Wednesday on the question of ordaining women:

Tens of thousands of Seventh-day Adventists are meeting this week to face an issue as divisive as any in the Protestant group’s 152-year history: Does the Bible allow women to be ordained as clergy?

The question has special complexity for Adventists, who to this day revere one of their founders who saw visions — a writer named Ellen White — a woman described in documents from her lifetime as “ordained.”

Discussions about what it means to be ordained, what the Bible says about women’s leadership, what to do with women’s spiritual gifts and whether different regions of the 18-million-member faith can disagree culminate in a vote Wednesday. The vote is considered not only the main event of the July 2-11 General Conference, a meeting Adventists have only once every five years, but to some potentially schismatic.

Western Adventists say the ban on female leaders is holding back their ability to function in this culture, while proponents of the status quo say they read scripture as banning women from overseeing men.

Adventists also are expected to reaffirm two of their fundamental beliefs: that the world was created in literally six days, before God rested, and that marriage is between a man and a woman. These votes, which are not expected to be seriously contested, reflect a recent push by Adventist leadership to keep the faith firmly on orthodox grounds, experts said.

washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/07/05/seventh-day-adventists-to-decide-whether-women-can-become-clergy/

I’m shocked, shocked to find that protestants are being protestant.

Wow!!
I hope they vote YES!

Because, to quote Pope Francis:

“Women should be promoted,” said Pope Francis…“more weight and more authority must be given to women. When we men are dealing with a problem, we arrive at a conclusion, but if we deal with the same problem along with women, the conclusion could be different… richer, stronger, more intuitive.
We have not yet understood in depth what things the feminine genius can give us, that woman can give to society and also to us."

:thumbsup:

Yep, women clergy always seems to be a prerequisite to openly gay Clergy when I look at the way things progress in liberal Protest-ant land.

Mary.

:confused::confused: I’m afraid that’s totally missing the mark. It’s a fact that the Holy Father is firmly against the ordination of women into the hierarchy (deacons, priests and bishops).

time.com/3729904/francis-women/

Despite his talk of expanded roles for women in the Church, Francis is still firmly against ordaining women as priests or, for that matter, as clergy of any kind. He has even rejected the idea of reviving an older tradition of lay cardinals that would include women. (A lay cardinal is a nonclerical member of the College of Cardinals.) The proposal has drawn influential support from the likes of Lucetta Scaraffia, a historian and columnist for the Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano, but Francis has unambiguously shot it down. Francis’s clearest statement on the ordination issue came during an airborne press conference in July 2013, when he was returning from Rio de Janeiro. “The Church has spoken and says no. . . . That door is closed,” he said.

The pontiff’s rejection of female clergy is so unwavering that critics have accused him of having a blind spot on women’s issues. Jon O’Brien of the liberal dissent group Catholics for Choice, an organization that defies orthodoxy by supporting abortion rights, said in 2013 that the pope’s message seems to be “Women can wait while he takes care of more important issues.” In October 2013 a progressive priests’ group in Ireland leveled a similar charge when Francis signed off on the excommunication of Australian Fr. Greg Reynolds, in part for his advocacy of women’s ordination.

In May 2014 an advocacy group called Women’s Ordination Worldwide held a rally and press conference in Rome to complain that Francis’s reforming stance on other matters isn’t matched by his position on women’s issues. “It’s true that Pope Francis is portraying a new image of the Church being open to all and that he is trying to shake off the judgments and restrictions of the past,” said activist Miriam Duignan in Rome. “But despite this openness . . . Francis holds fast to the old party line that says, ‘Women in priesthood is not open to discussion. It is reserved for men alone. Women are not welcome.’ How long do women have to wait to be considered equal and worthy of receiving the same welcome by the official Church as men?”

Interesting how some can take something the Holy Father said and turn it into whatever they want it to mean. You couldn’t be farther from the truth. God Bless, Memaw

Simply another protestant example of attempting to “re-define” the Deposit of Faith…
…Same sex Marriage will probably be on their agenda shortly as well.

I will be watching the outcome on Wednesday. Will the Jehovah Witnesses be next?

Indeed. If the SDA ordination is to do with promotion to a position of power, rather than about being permanently Sacramentally altered to fulfill a specific Sacramental role, then there is no reason it should not be offered to women.

Actually, they can do what they want, they don’t have the TRUE Sacrament of Ordination anyway. God Bless, Memaw

Contrarywise, I am glad we agree.

For sure Memaw:thumbsup:

:clapping:

Game, set and match.

I already know a woman who is a pastor of an SDA church…

That seems to be a very valid point you just made! Excellent point!

Not at all! While I do know a woman pastor in the SDA you will never find that they will be joining the ranks of some of the mainline liberal denominations who will find themselves in that position.

God bless!!

Rita

They already have them ( female Pastors in SDA )?

Not surprising. Everybody wants to have a go at what the Holy Father says to fit their agenda. His words have been twisted and turned, and taken out of context every time by the opponents of the Catholic Church. :shrug:

It’s confusing to me. Wikipedia says the following:

The ordained clergy of the Adventist church are known as ministers or pastors. Ministers are neither elected nor employed by the local churches, but instead are appointed by the local Conferences, which assign them responsibility over a single church or group of churches. Ordination is a formal recognition bestowed upon pastors and elders after usually a number of years of service. In most parts of the world, women may not be given the title “ordained”, although some are employed in ministry, and may be “commissioned” or “ordained-commissioned”.[57] However, beginning in 2012, some unions adopted policies of allowing member conferences to ordain without regard to gender.

It also says the following:

Although the church has no written policy forbidding the ordination of women, it has traditionally ordained only men. In recent years the ordination of women has been the subject of heated debate, especially in North America and Europe. In the Adventist church, candidates for ordination are chosen by local conferences (which usually administer about 50-150 local congregations) and approved by unions (which serve about 6-12 conferences). The world headquarters—the General Conference—says that the GC has the right to set the worldwide qualifications for ordination, including gender requirements. GC leaders have never taken the position that ordination of women is contrary to the Bible, but they have insisted that no one ordain women until it is acceptable to all parts of the world church.[58]

So, it seems that this General Conference vote is to actually create a written policy, either a “yes you can ordain women” or “no you can’t ordain women.” Currently, it seems that most of the church does not, but there isn’t an actual rule that says you can’t.

I lived in Berrien Springs, MI where they have a big university (Andrews). The University church does have a female pastor there. I interacted with her on many occasions - as a friend and as a person with whom I could find out what the SDA’s were all about. Contrary to many other denomination opinions SDA’s are not a cult, they do not worship their prophet Ellen G. White but wholly use the Bible as a guide against what EG White wrote.

I digressed there a bit but, yes, my friend was a pastor their. I moved away a few years ago so I’ve lost touch.

Blessings,

Rita

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.