Seventh-day sabbath

I’m in a dialogue with a Seventh Day Adventist on another website
(found here)

This person insists that we are bound to observe the Sabbath instead of Sunday. When I pointed out Colossians 2:16 to show that we are not bound to observe the Sabbath (and instead can observe Sunday), this person tried to make the following distinction:

But the Sabbath (festivals) were not the same as the creation Sabbath (day of worship),

Apparently this person is trying to say while we are not bound to observe the Jewish festival of the Sabbath, we are still bound to worship on the Sabbath. (I’m not real clear on the distinction trying to be made.).

I asked where this person found such a distinction in the text, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever encountered this objection before and how they answered it.

Hello,
This question has been adrressed at CAF multiple times before. I recommend searching on SDA and sabbath and you will find many threads on this topic. Also try searching “Resources and SDA.” Feel free to PM me as well.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Thanks for the advice. I’ve tried to do some searching on SDA threads, but I don’t know of any thread that address this particular interpretation of Colossiansw 2:16, though.

I’ve often wondered if it matters to SDA’s that Pope Gregory chopped 10 days off the calendar*, thus forever changing the days of the week. If they wish to follow the original Sabbath, it seems they should be using the old calendar.

(*He decreed that the day after October 4, 1582 would be October 15, 1582. His calendar is still used today.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.