Severe depression. Can't keep doing this

I could really use prayers guys. I’m worn down with some things that are happening in my life right now. I can’t pray, I can’t read Scripture. (I used to not be able to go a day without it.) I can’t talk about the faith or apologetics anymore. I have no energy. I’m just…done.

I feel so alone. There’s this constant darkness gnawing at me. It’s been there in the back of my mind for almost a year now, but it’s finally beaten me, I think. I can be happy for a little, but as soon as I’m not doing something, it comes back. Sometimes even harder than before. There’s something that’s always telling me I’m useless and nothing I say or do matters. That nobody cares or wants me around. I can’t explain where these thoughts are coming from. I’m tired of them, but no matter how hard I pray, they’re always there. Always. I’m sick of it.

My faith feels so brittle. I’m tired of suffering. I’m tired of my life. I need something to change. I can’t keep doing this. Something is going to snap pretty soon. I already feel it. It’s scaring me. I’m turning into a person I don’t like.

Anyways, I would really appreciate prayers.

Thanks.

Dear Robyn, I’ll be praying for you. You have hit bottom, and I’ll pray real hard. If you have some kind of support line in your area, please call them. Talking to someone might reallyhelp. God bless and bless you.

Prayers offered for u, Robyn. :gopray:

I pray for your recovery. I am in a similar situation, my wife is on hospice care…she is 52 years old, that and my baseline melancholy. I struggled with how to deal with my immense depression for over two years. Finally resorted to medication. Thank God, the cloud is lifting. I hope you find a solution to your suffering:o

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to her assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

:frowning:

Robyn p, I have enjoyed many of your posts, I hope you don’t mind if I share with you the following that I believe will help you greatly in these times.

Jesus to St. Faustina -
There is more merit to one hour of meditation on My sorrowful Passion than there is to a whole year of flagellation that draws blood; the contemplation of My painful wounds is of great profit to you, and it brings Me great joy. (Diary, 369)

It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength. (Diary, 654)

St Thomas Aquinas -
"The Passion of Christ is sufficient to serve as a guide and model for our entire life. For all those who wish to lead a perfect life, they need do nothing more than to despise what Christ despised on the Cross, and to accept what Christ accepted. On the Cross, we find the example of every virtue.”

I believe these two books will help greatly in this regard -

The Passion -
loveandmercy.org/Eng-TP-Reg.pdf
(Roman Catholic Imprimatur)

The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Anne Catherine Emmerich-
jesus-passion.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm
(Roman Catholic Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat)

Were Christ to live, teach, and perform miracles for thirty-three years longer, it would not suffice for all He accomplished during His Passion.

I hope this has helped and I will pray for you.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Praying fir you to be able to rise above the darkness and restore your faith.

Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

While there is praying happening for you, practice the presence of God yourself - do it in spite of the feelings. What to do?

With everything you do, all day long, before you do it, Stop and say, “Jesus, I am doing this as a gift to you”. Then do what you were going to do. “Father, this is for you”, then do it. All day long, everyday.

You don’t have to feel like it or somehow feel God near, but in reality he is near and is listening when he hears his name. All day long, tell him that the next thing you do is for him - speak it “into thin air” because that is what it feels like sometimes, since our bodies and minds cannot sense spiritual reality, just like at Mass we see “The Body and Blood” on the altar, but we cannot sense with our senses the living soul and divinity of Jesus present.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Praying for you

I’m praying for you, Robyn.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Praying to St. Dymphna for your intentions.

Dear friend,

I am new to this site, but have been Catholic for about two years now. I understand depression. Understand that the closer you get to God doesn’t mean the devil will stop making you feel certain things, we all struggle with that daily, even priests. So please just accept that <3 but the more you pray, the stronger you will get in your faith & your relationship with God, & those thoughts won’t move you so much anymore.

Don’t quite. Please…it’s not worth it to lose faith. You’ll just hit rock bottom even worse. I lost faith many times & didn’t learn my lesson until I had my son three weeks ago, then I realized my son was a gift from God & I can’t afford to lose faith any more. Also understand that God understands your pain b/c you have you have to remember, God did send his only son (whom he loved dearly) to die on the cross for our sins. Even God gets sad b/c of what he sees on this earth, which his intention was to create perfect love, not sin. Plus He just understands your pain, He’s the one who created you. He’s gonna know how his beautiful creation feels. :slight_smile:

Please remember you’re beautiful & God created you for a reason. He really did. This might sound cliche but read your bible. Read Proverbs everyday, The book even says itself you will have more of a clear mind & sound mind. The more you immerse yourself in God’s love, the more peaceful you will feel. Remember, God is everything positive: Love, peace, trust, hope, faith, light, gentle…he is still a righteous Lord & you should still fear Him, but not the way you fear a murderer or a threatening person, but the fear knowing God is God, & he will always be God…but God is Love. Period <3

Start a journal. Write to God all the darkness you feel inside, cry to him, just go on & on about what’s not right to get these feelings out. Even if it doesn’t make sense & looks like blah blah blah, well God cares :slight_smile: . Praise God everyday by saying the Gloria, it’s a very powerful prayer & will help your relationship with God grow. always praise God everyday. He loves you more than you could ever imagine. And He wants you to know that.

Now, I’m not perfect. I know what depression is. I know it too well, but always keep God in your heart, he will keep you from falling apart, I promise you.

Please know He’s here & He’s listening to your prayers. I cannot tell you how many times I feel as if God doesn’t listen but he does. Believe believe believe. God knows how you feel and all of your thoughts, but He wants to hear your prayers to Him. He wants to hear you.

Also, go to confession if you haven’t already this week. Some sins can drag on us like millions of horses attached to us.

And something else not spiritual, but can also create some type of change is, rearrange your furniture or start a new hobby: poetry, painting, singing, sowing, photography & so on. There is always at least one hobby that brings someone joy to the heart.

I could say a lot more but I just want to be simple: OH! That’s another thing…keep things simple, don’t beat yourself up about everything, keep your home clean, start a new routine…don’t let the depression stop you from LIVING, no matter how powerful it is.

I will pray for you my dear. But also pray for yourself. Keep your head up, b/c you’re here for a reason, but don’t try too hard looking for that reason if you are, just live for God. Fake it until you make it. Yes, like someone else said on here: be fore you do something say Lord I’m doing this for you. I agree. There is always someone there to listen to you, give them a call <3 God Bless you :slight_smile: Breathe…just breathe <3

i also too suffer from great bouts of depression that you describe,sense my brain injury several years ago. You feel the emptyness an especially the darkness, Please Do Not Give UP, your faith will save you,I pray that you have the right support system to counter the works of the devil.Also it took a really long time for me too quite feeling like that, but when the Holy spirit come back to you an it will by my own witness, you will feel better, there is no doctor no medication, please believe me I have experienced really bad things an thoughts form medications. I learned not too pity myself have a sense of humor because theres always someone else that has it worse. God works in msterious ways right? not for me.stand strong be accountable to GOD, try not too beat yourself to a pulp been there done that an we shall all pray that you see the lightness that surrounds GOD;);):wink: hope this helps its really hard what you are going through, I pray for your strong faith an the peace that come with God.

Dear Lord! This person has all the symptoms of depression and she was able to express these symptoms to us. Praise to you Lord! She has been suffering so, as you know! she cannot bear it anymore! She didn’t say but may have also thought about taking her own life. She doesn’t want to be thinking like this, its not her true heart. You know this Lord. She is sick. So we are begging you dear Lord, please give her enough energy to get to a counselor or psychiatrist who can treat her illness. Help arrange everything so she can go today. Help her not give up even if it takes some time to get the right medication or the correct person to help her. Bless her each morning as she gets outside for some light and a walk, no matter how much she feels like she can’t do it. If she can’t sleep well at night enlighten the doctor to give the right medicine. Lord you know as soon as it is humanly possible she will again joyfully be talking to you and listening to you as she reads your Word faithfully. You haven’t left her we know, but she is feeling so, so low. So graciously hear us Lord as we pray!

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

Robyn p:
Been praying for you in and out all day long. Please call the suicide hot line (even if you don’t feel that far gone) because they can tell you where to get help for depression. One respondent wrote in he tried medication. That may help you. It helped me enormously after 35 years of chronic depression. But you must get some direction first! Please call the hotline.

God bless you a thousand times! :wink: :byzsoc:

Robyn, I posted a while ago about my battle with clinical depression. I have had it most of
my life. I have had 3 suicide attempts. With one of them, I was treated by a very very
wonderful Psychiatrist who was also Catholic. He asked me WHY I wanted to die and I
told him it was because I had nothing to live for. He told me that was NOT true. I was a child
of Jesus and Jesus wanted me happy and he was going to make me happy. Then I spent 4
months in a psych unit getting rid of all the alcohol I drank and rehabilitating myself.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Look around you. Life is beautiful. Death is final and suicide is
the cowards way of ending depression. YOU ARE NOT A COWARD. YOU ARE A FIGHTER.
Stop this nonsence. Get up and get going. I am praying for you.:thumbsup:

Dearest Robyn-

Depression is a serious and insidious disease that debilitates so many people. I’ve suffered with it for most of my life and it has caused so much harm to me, to my children, to my relationships, etc. I had incessant thoughts regarding my worth as a person, how I never could do anything “right”, etc. which drove me to the brink. Like you, I was tired and all I wanted was peace…

I did not see any future or hope until I was “forced”, by a serious suicide attempt, to finally seek the help I so desperately needed. For many years, I prayed to God for a miracle, for an end to the pain and despair, all the while ignoring His most prosaic of miracles…the doctors and therapists who ultimately were instrumental in literally saving my life. These were God’s great miracle for me…

I spent 2+ years in therapy, to address my skewed thinking which was caused by the chemical imbalance in my brain, and I will probably need to take anti-depressant medication for the rest of my life, but I am truly alive today and ever so grateful to God for His miracle to me.

I truly know how hard it is, but please keep striving! Even If there are financial constraints, access to therapy and medication are still possibilities…Try contacting Catholic social services in your area to see what’s available.

I will lift you up in my prayers and ask St. Dymphna and St. Michael the Archangel to intercede on your behalf.

Good Saint Dymphna, great wonder-worker in every affliction of mind and body, I humbly implore your powerful intercession with Jesus through Mary, the Health of the Sick, in Robyn’s present need. Saint Dymphna, martyr of purity, patroness of those who suffer with nervous and mental afflictions, beloved child of Jesus and Mary, pray to Them for me and obtain my request. Amen

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls. Amen

:gopray2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.