Sex and marriage

Hi everyone!!
I am looking for information on sex and marriage in the Catholic church. I know there is a whole theology behind it, but if you all could give me some general information I would appreciate it. I am looking for guidance on the holiness of sex and it’s beauty and being open to children. Thank you!

Great question! What you're talking about is JPII's Theology of the Body.

Check out Holy Sex by Dr Greg Popcak and Good News about Sex and Marriage by Christopher West.

Learning about ToB changed my life and marriage for the better forever.

M

I used to teach a Theology of the Body class in our parish.

A couple of starter points.

[LIST]
*]God created sex. It is, therefore, very good, when used in the way He intended.
*]Our physical design (organs, cells, immunology even) is complementary to the other sex.
*]Sex has both unitive and procreative aspects, that provide a foretaste of our unity and fecundity with God. So, unity (sex) and the fruits of such love (fertility) should never be separated. We should be ever open to union and fruitful union. NFP smartly recognizes that periods of abstinence can be good for a marriage; we find other ways to love each other (walks, talks, gardening together, etc.). These periods can actually highlight the beauty of loving sexual union which will follow periods of generous abstinence.
*]God designed our bodies to remind us of the divine fruitful union with Him, which is what He greatly desires with each one of us (each one of us).
*]The marital bed should be considered like an altar, a sacrament as it were. We offer ourselves in sexual union, out of love (not self-seeking desire) to each other, for the love of God.
*]Sex renews our marital vows, every time.

*]Sex renews our deep love for one another. It's like a meal, it strengthens us, fortifies us, and brings us joy.
*]Marital chastity should be deepened every day, meaning all our intent and focus should be on total self-donation to our spouse's total happiness and true and supernatural good.

*]This means, the "I got mine, you get yours...or I got mine, let me help you get yours" view of sex is low-shooting. Each should long for each other's happiness and should seek nothing in return. With this form of trust and abandonment comes true joy.
[/LIST]

[quote="patate, post:1, topic:248528"]
Hi everyone!!
I am looking for information on sex and marriage in the Catholic church. I know there is a whole theology behind it, but if you all could give me some general information I would appreciate it. I am looking for guidance on the holiness of sex and it's beauty and being open to children. Thank you!

[/quote]

West's Theology of the Body for Beginners is another great basic book. But for deeper understanding "Love and Responsibility." If you want some audio there are hours and hours of it. Fr. John Riccardo is one of my favorite speakers here. Search the web for Theology of the Body and you will find much. Also, there are lots of items on this thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.