Sex before marriage

Hey guys, so I have the NABRE version of the bible and I was wondering where in the bible that sex before marriage is not allowed. If you can quote a NABRE version of the bible that would be great as well. I am a bit puzzled on this so help would be much needed.

‘Do not be deceived, those who fornicate will not inherit the Kingdom of God’. (See Galatians 5: 15-25, 1 Corinthians 6: 9-20, Ephesians 5: 3-12, 1 Thessalonians 4: 3-8)

I have a different version of the bible, the RSV-CE, and here are some passages:

1 Cor. 6: 9-11

Galatians 5:19

Ephesians 5:3

1 Thess. 4: 3-7

If possible can you copy and paste the passage on here and analyze it with me.

What is there to analyze? Seems pretty clear. :shrug:

What does fornicate mean and what is the difference between that and adultery and sexual immorality in the bible.

The modern dictionary definitions of fornication (voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other, which would include adultery) and adultery (voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse) are simple enough, but the Bible gives us greater insight into how God perceives these two sexual sins. In the Bible, both are referred to literally.

Fornication is sex before marriage of two single people.

Adultery is someone having relations with someone who is married.

Sexual immorality can include masturbation, and agreeing to the temptation of lusting after someone.

Adultery in Biblical times was applied to women. It is now considered to apply to both men and women.

Maybe “fornication” is too archaic a word in our pleasure loving culture today, it seems so old fashioned and so few young people even know what it means. :eek:

I guess “hook up” is too narrow, And “sex outside of marriage” is too awkward and long. :frowning:

I’ve read fornication used as an all-purpose word for sex; fun sex, the kind Christians can’t have. :rolleyes: Like it’s a fancy, biblical, or like you said, archaic, word for all sexual activity.

Okay so I’ve gotten a bunch of verses here, let us come to a conclusion, can you guys give me the verses that corresponds closest to it, and is most clear.

I see you are a Catholic. Do you accept what the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches as authoritative or just the Bible?

Both, but I like to just know where the info comes from, nothing wrong with being a doubting Thomas.

Let us focus on Galatians Chapter 5. It is crystal clear.

This is from the Douay-Rheims Bible: Verse by verse: 19 to 21, I think.

*Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,

Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.*

OP, does this help:

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%205%3A19-21&version=NIV;NABRE;GNT;KJV;NRSVACE

It’s four different translations side by side (you can add or change any that you want). The language is different but it means the same thing.

ETA: 5 translations is the limit but you can switch them out.

ILJ, Perhaps you are essentially asking the wrong question. Catholicism is not a bunch of “no’s” Maybe you should ask, why does the Church or the Bible forbid fornication? There are some most excellent reasons for it. To start at the most basic level, God prohibits things that will cause us harm.

There are many, many reasons why sex outside of marriage is not a good thing and leads to harm for the persons that engage in it.

Of course, on one level it is indeed an apparent good to us humans by way of our darkened intellect and disordered appetites. But the fruit of fornication eventually turns out to be quite bitter in the end. Been there. Done that.

I know that (based on past experience) but what bible verses according to the nabre say that sex before marriage is not good. I never really got a direct answer through the bible. Through common sense yes though.

Bruised Reed gave you the NAB verses, let’s look at three specific words, they used…

immorality, impurity, licentiousness

A person needs to understand what the NAB means to say by using these words.

Impurity means fornication, pretty sure, although I don’t read the original greek that the new testament was originally written in.

We could go deeper into it but you can trust these other versions of the Bible, too, you know. They use language that is a little more clear cut.

I personally prefer the RSV-CE.

Perhaps we need to look deeper into what those three words mean in the Greek language or according to the Mosaic law.

Ok cool but is there any other verses that show this, maybe more clear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.