sex in marriage

Actually it’s trying for 6 months and over 35

Depends who you talk to.

Unless you have a history of PID or irregular menses, it’s over 35 trying for 6+ months, or under 35 and trying for 12+ months

And that’s the definition from the National Institute of Health, Mayo Clinic, WebMD, and RESOLVE.

That’s great. And that may be what it is officially.

But it really depends on which doctor you talk to.

That reminds me of a great comeback line I read somewhere on a Catholic blog, or maybe here on this message board:

Nosy Acquaintance: “Wow, six kids, and they are all yours?? Don’t you know what causes that?”

Catholic Mom or Dad: “Well, we used to think they were caused by sex, but if that were true we would have hundreds by now!”

:thumbsup:

Oh man. If you are right then my wife and I must be doing something wrong because we have 4 kids and 4 is about average for a week.:rolleyes:

My answer is “yeah, I do, but I don’t have time to explain it to you right now”.

We’re working on #3 and I’m pretty sure we’ve only had sex twice. I think this last one was residual or something.

There is another explanation…:eek:

What if you never get past the first try?

What if you never get past the first try?

Folks, if you want trolls to stop posting, stop feeding the troll.

Are you serious? Even about the 2 times sex = 2 times pregnant thing? That sounds very unusual! You mean you didn’t have sex during either pregnancy, also? No need to answer if this is “too much information.”

He’s joking. I think it’s a reference to a Monty Python skit.

Ooooh ok. Thanks :smiley:

i forgot about sex during pregnacy.
but i’m serious say a couple only wants three kids, …they would have to stop having sex after three or risk the concequences. …most religious ppl don’t have like 10 kids that i know

“Risk the consequences”? What a lovely way to describe a human child. :mad:

No, in Catholicism parents are called to discern responsible parenthood. But we are also called to be generous. If a couple discerns that they should not have another child now, they can practice periodic abstinence, commonly referred to as natural family planning - they can limit relations to the times in a woman’s cycle when she is infertile (which, if you’d read my and a few other responses on the thread, you’d know is most of the time.)

I’m choosing to answer you honestly because I know how woefully ignorant many people are about human biology. I was told over and over again in public high school health classes that it is “impossible” for a woman to know if she is fertile or not. I know why they said this, even though it’s wrong - it was to scare us into not having sex, or to make sure we used contraception if we did have sex. It’s the same reason we got shown pictures of what various STIs looked like (I wanted to take my brain out of my head and scrub it with a rough sponge after that day of class.)

Would you be able to answer some of the questions that have been asked.

How old are you?

Do you know anything about human biology?

To address the same point on a more serious note, as many others have said here, not every act of marital intercourse leads to a child. In fact, even for most Catholic couples who follow the Church’s teaching against contraception, it is probably true that the vast majority of marital acts do not result in conception.

When you take into account that women cannot conceive during the nine months of pregnancy, and that ecological breastfeeding can result in six to 24 months of natural infertility after childbirth, and that NFP can be used (for a serious reason) to identify fertile times and to abstain at those times, many couples have ample opportunities to be intimate when no conception will occur.

For my own marriage, it generally takes almost two years from the conception of one child to the return of my wife’s fertility (i.e., the first opportunity to conceive another child). That’s nine months of pregnancy, plus typically about 14 months of delayed ovulation due to ecological breastfeeding, which is a total of about 23 months of infertility (almost two years). So even if my wife and I had no serious reason to limit our number of children, we still could be intimate as many times as we want over the course of almost two years, and conceive only once during that time – and then have another two years of intimacy before the next possibility of conception. That’s a far, far cry from every marital act resulting in conception!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.