Sex Virus Blamed for Rise in Head and Neck Cancers (Boys need vaccine)

Boys need Gardasil vacine. (HPV Virus)…

reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62P01Q20100326

The number of head and neck cancers linked to a virus spread by oral sex is rising rapidly and suggests boys as well as girls should be offered protection through vaccination, doctors said Friday.

Despite an overall slight decline in head and neck cancers in recent years, cases of a particular form called oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) have increased sharply, particularly in the developed world.

This growth seems to be linked to cancers caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), scientists said in a report in the British Medical Journal.

Two vaccines – Cervarix, made by GlaxoSmithKline, and Gardasil, made by Merck & Co – can prevent HPV, which causes virtually all cases of cervical cancer, the second most common cancer in women worldwide.

Many rich nations have launched HPV immunisation programs for girls to try to protect them from the common sexually transmitted virus before they become sexually active.

The scientists, led by Hisham Mehanna of the Institute of Head and Neck Studies at University Hospital Coventry, said while including boys in immunisation plans has been seen as too expensive, it may be time to look again.

“We need to look at the evidence again to re-evaluate the cost-effectiveness of male children in light of this new and rapidly rising incidence,” he said in an interview.

hmmm… the article says that head and neck cancers are on the decline, but that one particular type, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma, is on the rise. And that this type is, at least in part, may be caused by HPV.

However, the article doesn’t tell us how many cases of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma are occurring, and what percentage of them are connected to HPV. The British Medical Journal article, which is classified as an editorial, gives wildly varying estimates of the incidence of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma e.g. 1.87 per 100,000 in the US, but 11 per 1000,000 in the UK. And it doesn’t give any idea of how many overall cases are occurring.
bmj.com/cgi/content/full/340/mar25_1/c1439

I would like to know more about the significance of this problem, before doubling the vaccination program.

If they are worried about getting cancer from HPV, it might be wise to refrain from sex until marriage, then marry a girl without HPV.

But apparently sex is always a good reason to risk one's life and health. Is this not covered in 'safe sex' education classes?

Reality check please.
Does anyone see the big picture ?
Gimme another drug.
Now we even have them to protect us against our own immorality…

Any real parents out there, please comment !

I think I see $$ for a vaccine manufacturer…

Hahaha.

Would you have her tested before the wedding? :wink:

[quote="Bob4BVM, post:4, topic:192965"]
Reality check please.
Does anyone see the big picture ?
Gimme another drug.
Now we even have them to protect us against our own immorality...

Any real parents out there, please comment !

[/quote]

These are not always simple matters. There used to be HPV viruses of the genitals separate from those of the mouth, now both the mouth viruses and the genital viruses can be spread by kissing. So there doesn't even have to be immorality involved for an individual to get infected.

That is pretty worrisome. The vaccine doesn't seem to be the answer unless it's going to be given to very young children before they have had a chance to be exposed by kissing. Once they have been infected, the vaccine is pretty much useless for preventing throat cancer.

[quote="seekerz, post:7, topic:192965"]
Would you have her tested before the wedding? ;)

[/quote]

We'd both get tested before the wedding!

Consequences of promicuity* still*** coming to light ??!

March 4, 2011[size=2] ([/size][/FONT]LifeSiteNews.com[size=2])*** – Doctors in Canada and the United States are expressing concern* over the** dramatic rise** in cancers of the** head** and neck, which, studies are indicating, are** caused** by the human papilloma virus (HPV) being** transmitted** through oral sex. [/size]

“Teens really have* no idea** that oral sex is related to any outcome like STIs (sexually transmitted infections), HPV, chlamydia, and so on,” said Dr. Bonnie Halpern-Felsher of the University of California San Francisco, who has studied teenagers’ attitudes and sexual behaviors.*

Doctors and researchers are telling practitioners, educators, and parents they must** inform young people of the** huge risks** of** oral sex** and the dangerous long-term effects.
[/FONT]http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/oral-sex-causing-oral-cancer-rates-to-rise-studies?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=00df2d1cac-LifeSiteNews_com_Canada_Headlines03_04_2011&utm_medium=email

Oh please :rolleyes: We’ve known about STDs forever. How is HPV any different from herpes? Newsflash-you can get both from oral/anal/vaginal sex. Young girls should get the HPV vaccine.

Oh puleeeze. Knowing about STDs forever, has this stopped people from having multiple partners in their lifetime?

Maybe-just maybe-if a teen, young person, or anyone else with raging hormones, being bombarded with sexual images everywhere—maybe, if they know someone personally, who has gone through cancer-the pain, the suffering—maybe just maybe this new insight would give all of them a reason-------------to wait.

HPV is very different from herpes. With herpes-you have outbreaks. With HPV, you may never know you’re a carrier.

The point of this is, you can get cancer of the cervix, ovarian—from vaginal sex. Now, there is an increase of cancers about the head-from those having oral and picking up HPV “up there.”

Apparently, it stays localized, and doesn’t travel through the bloodstream-very far, anyhow?

This scares me-would if I were a raging hormone teen or young adult. Anyone else?

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

Used to be they would publish photographs of some truly disgusting "lesions".

[Is this mostly the female population suffering from this?] [The article wasn't very clear about that, although I kind of skimmed through it.]

Does this kind of disease have a spokesperson?

[Maybe the Centers for Disease Control could recruit Lewinski to be the poster child.]

[Thank you, Bill.]

[Pretty disgusting.]

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:12, topic:192965"]
Oh puleeeze. Knowing about STDs forever, has this stopped people from having multiple partners in their lifetime?

Maybe-just maybe-if a teen, young person, or anyone else with raging hormones, being bombarded with sexual images everywhere---maybe, if they know someone personally, who has gone through cancer-the pain, the suffering---maybe just maybe this new insight would give all of them a reason-------------to wait.

HPV is very different from herpes. With herpes-you have outbreaks. With HPV, you may never know you're a carrier.

The point of this is, you can get cancer of the cervix, ovarian---from vaginal sex. Now, there is an increase of cancers about the head-from those having oral and picking up HPV "up there."

Apparently, it stays localized, and doesn't travel through the bloodstream-very far, anyhow?

This scares me-would if I were a raging hormone teen or young adult. Anyone else?

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

This is why everyone should be vaccinated.

[quote="Thoughtfulone, post:14, topic:192965"]
This is why everyone should be vaccinated.

[/quote]

And? That'll take care of it, right?

When do the boys start? Getting their shots, I mean.

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

Sorry but I fail to rationalize why everybody should be mandatorily vaccinated?

Virgins too :confused:

I am not sure about other countries, but in the US, boys can be vaccinated as young as 11 years of age. Currently, such vaccination is permitted but not part of the recommended immunization schedules put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics or the Centers for Disease Control. The CDC explains:

Why is Gardasil not on the immunization schedule for boys and men?

CDC did not add this vaccine to the recommended immunization schedules for males in these age groups because studies suggest that the best way to prevent the most disease due to HPV is to vaccinate as many girls and women as possible. Parents of boys can decide if Gardasil is right for their sons by talking with their sons’ health care providers. Young men can also discuss this vaccine with their doctors.

cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hpv/vac-faqs.htm

Because virgins, either by choice or by force, do not always remain virgins. Loss of virginity is often unplanned, and once infected with HPV it is too late for the vaccine to help.

[quote="Dale_M, post:17, topic:192965"]
I am not sure about other countries, but in the US, boys can be vaccinated as young as 11 years of age. Currently, such vaccination is permitted but not part of the recommended immunization schedules put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics or the Centers for Disease Control. The CDC explains:

cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hpv/vac-faqs.htm

Because virgins, either by choice or by force, do not always remain virgins. Loss of virginity is often unplanned, and once infected with HPV it is too late for the vaccine to help.

[/quote]

Dale_M wrote:

Because virgins, either by choice or by force, do not always remain virgins. Loss of virginity is often unplanned, and once infected with HPV it is too late for the vaccine to help

I see the validity of your point only when put in the context you just mentioned.

But what of those who safe-guard their virginity as a gift back to God?
Should it always be necessary to live in constant fear of being raped?
Virginity in itself can be sanctified by God even if the majority of this wayward world has little moral regard for it. It's almost like saying today if your a ("Virgin") your seen with a disease. When should Virginity be dependant on an inoculation? Or is it that when an actual ("virgin") woman, child or man is forcibly raped they loose their Virginity physically but still retain it spiritually.

Most people who become victims of rape feel like their already dead inside.
Inoculations won't change any aspect of that.

Peace
Chris

[quote="centurionguard, post:16, topic:192965"]
Sorry but I fail to rationalize why everybody should be mandatorily vaccinated?

Virgins too :confused:

[/quote]

Of course virgins should be vaccinated! They might not be virgins forever.

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:15, topic:192965"]
And? That'll take care of it, right?

When do the boys start? Getting their shots, I mean.

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

Well as far as I know, boys can get the vaccine too, so I would say as soon as they're old enough. It's not going to solve the promiscuity issue, but at least people won't be getting cancer for making stupid teenage decisions...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.