Sex Vs. Drugs - Which Is The Greater Sin?

Which sin is is worse - Sex outside of marriage or recreational Drug use?

[quote=catechistben]Which sin is is worse - Sex outside of marriage or recreational Drug use?
[/quote]

Why? Are you making plans based on the answer?

Nope, definitely not making any plans…just curious how my perspective corresponds to others as well as the perspective of the Church. It is a question I was recently debating with a group of friends (mostly secular) and would love to see some additional (Christian) feedback.

[quote=catechistben]Nope, definitely not making any plans…just curious how my perspective corresponds to others as well as the perspective of the Church. It is a question I was recently debating with a group of friends (mostly secular) and would love to see some additional (Christian) feedback.
[/quote]

Sin is sin, why the need to rank it?

All sin is bad as it separates us from God. Mortal sin is worse as it is more of a deliberate step away from Him and that is why it requires the Sacrament of Penance to return.

[quote=catechistben]definitely not making any plans…
[/quote]

Whew, that’s a relief!

I’m not a big fan of the “is this sin worse than that sin” game. It’s pointless, unless you’re in a situation where you have to choose one over the other.

It’s like asking “would that lady be more offended if I punched her, or if I kicked her?”

[quote=ByzCath]Sin is sin, why the need to rank it?

All sin is bad as it separates us from God. Mortal sin is worse as it is more of a deliberate step away from Him and that is why it requires the Sacrament of Penance to return.
[/quote]

Good point!

I agree, sin is sin. I’ve never done recreational drugs. But I wouldn’t say I’m less sinful than others that have. No comment on the sex. hehehe (sorry, guess I shouldn’t joke about that…) :slight_smile:

[quote=Timidity]Whew, that’s a relief!..

It’s like asking “would that lady be more offended if I punched her, or if I kicked her?”
[/quote]

True. I was looking at it like this…clearly they are both mortal sins and both seperate us from God. As it relates to Sex though, it seems that there could be implications that drug use would be less likely (though not guaranteed) to impose on our lives. Besides the potential consequences of STD’s, pregancy out of wedlock, etc…you are also causing anther person to fall into sin…since of course it takes “two to tango”. In addition, the possible reprocussions (pain and heartache) of a promiscous lifestyle on your future spouse seem quite great. No doubt drugs can wreak havoc on ones life, but they may not necessarily affect as many other people as the consequences of fornication.

My perspective on this may be totally wacked and in need of alignment, but that is why I am curious how others see it.

[quote=Kater30]I agree, sin is sin. I’ve never done recreational drugs. But I wouldn’t say I’m less sinful than others that have. No comment on the sex. hehehe (sorry, guess I shouldn’t joke about that…) :slight_smile:
[/quote]

That is part of my point as well. It seems to me that people who have done more drugs than have sex generally take a more critical view of sex. While many times folks that have been more promiscous may think of drug use as a greater evil. My observation has been that our personal experiences tend to shape these views a lot of the time. Perhaps it is our eternal desire to rationalize our behavior that we must fight in order to follow God’s will for our lives.

[quote=catechistben]True. I was looking at it like this…clearly they are both mortal sins and both seperate us from God. As it relates to Sex though, it seems that there could be implications that drug use would be less likely (though not guaranteed) to impose on our lives.
[/quote]

You stated what those implications that sex could impose on our lives but I disagree that drug use would be less likely to do so.

Recreational Drug use can, and does most the time, take place with others, so you are contributing to the use of drugs by other. You must get your drugs from somewhere, causeing the supplier to sin. There is the danger of over dose as well as some danger to disease if needles are shared. There is the added fact that you are breaking civil law with drug use.

Both sins have many implications.

Sorta like asking which would make you more dead drowning or hanging.

Sex outside of marriage is a drug.

one who performed fornification also tempted his/her partner into a sin. simple abusing drugs has no effect on others

I think it is easier for a person to fall into sexual sin (not restricting it to fornication). A person who does drugs even “casually” has to go against not just moral teaching but the bulk of secular reasoning.:whacky: If he/she has gotten that far that person probably has already involved themselves in sexual sin to one degree or another.

On the other hand, a person who deliberately avoids sexual sin either for moral reasons or merely out of an informed fear :eek: for their physical and psychological well fare is more likely to consider these things when the opportunity for drug abuse presents itself.

Additionally, the admonitions against sexual sin in scripture are much more explicit than those against “casual” substance abuse.
I could see where a person could become confused :confused: and convince themselves that “casual” drug use is equivalent with moderate use of wine. But it would take, in my opinion, an act of arrogant disobedience :tsktsk: to override the very specific teachings on sexuality.

God bless,

• FranL

I don’t think all recreational drug use could be called sinful. For instance, alcohol is a drug, but it’s not a sin to go out and have a beer, wine or mixed drink. Nicotine is a drug, is then smoking sinful? I would say yes. Since a smoker is usually addicted and has to smoker to feed his nicotine habit. You usually don’t see a smoker who has the occasional cigarette.

As far as sex goes, any sexual act outside of marriage is a sin, period.

[quote=abcdefg]one who performed fornification also tempted his/her partner into a sin. simple abusing drugs has no effect on others
[/quote]

I disagree here, htere is no such thing as “simple abusing drugs”. First you need to get your drugs from some where. Second there is the effect your abusing drugs would have on your family and friends.

By ignoring the first part then you should also ignore the effect of “simple fornication” has on the partner.

I’m not sure why it is important which of these sins is greater.

In my humble opinion, when folks compare the gravity of one mortal sin to another, they are often trying to rank themselves as better (less bad?) than someone else. I have often heard the line, “At least I didn’t kill anyone” as an excuse for behavior. It makes the person feel better, but does not change the effect on his soul one bit.

well, i don’t have a scale to weigh sins… but i would hate to be at the gates with st peter debating/negotiating the degree to which i offended MY GOD… lets just hope we come to realize any sin against God is terrible, given the sacrifice of His Son for our sins…

That being said… just let me slide in behind the large door with the large “P” on it, and you will get no complaint from me :thumbsup:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/quality/graphics/images/scales.gif

You ask:

Which sin is is worse - Sex outside of marriage or recreational Drug use?

Oh, you mean:

“which apple – Washington or Red Delicious” ???

[quote=ByzCath] Recreational Drug use can, and does most the time, take place with others, so you are contributing to the use of drugs by other. You must get your drugs from somewhere, causeing the supplier to sin. There is the danger of over dose as well as some danger to disease if needles are shared. There is the added fact that you are breaking civil law with drug use.

Both sins have many implications.
[/quote]

Sure, drug use can include others but the act itself does not require it…sex always requires another person participation in the act. The dealer is already sinning since they are “open for business”.

That is true that you are breaking the law with drug use…perhaps many sexually immoral acts should also be against the civil law though?

I agree thoroughly they do both have many negative implications.

CB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.