Sex will soon be just for fun not babies, says father of the Pill

Sex could become purely recreational by 2050 with large numbers of babies in the Western world born through IVF, the professor who invented the contraceptive pill has claimed.

Prof Carl Djerassi, an Austrian-American chemist and author, said he believed that the Pill would become obsolete because men and women would choose to freeze their eggs and sperm when young before being sterilized.

Read more here.

The time frame seems a little far fetched to me, but I suppose this is the logical end of a contraceptive culture.

Well, that is the direction we are headed. Children not naturally conceived, but made in a petri dish. Perhaps made to order, with just the characteristics desired by the buyers, or rather, the prospective parents, who may or may not be the biological parents. Many children will never know their biological parents, many will have unknown half-brothers and half-sisters because of anonymous sperm donation. Excess or defective embryos will be discarded. (Very early abortion.) Genealogy may become an obsolete pastime; it’s kind of hard to trace one’s family tree through all those petri dishes.

Do you have a link to this article?

And people wonder why IVF is evil… :frowning:

Any evidence to go with this statement? You ever think maybe this guy is yanking your chain a little bit?

OP posted a link.

Ew. I hate going to the doctor for my “female checkup,” which is done out of necessity. I have a female doctor and still hate it. I sure ain’t putting everything out there for everyone to see for unnatural conception.

Thankss! I didn’t see it. Sorry!

I find this hard to believe, one of my congregation showed me this earlier about two days ago (from another source) and I decided to bring it up during a lecture I usually give after a service.

Now my denomination takes no stance on non-abortificent contraception, individual ministers may or may not approve but it’s not considered a matter of faith, theology or morals by the rulebook so the laity are free to decide themselves (and thus it is almost universally used to plan families). The looks of horror that were on some of the mens faces in that room at the thought of getting a vasectomy…:smiley:

Yeah, this is never going catch on.

It’s already caught on. IVF clinics make money by making babies.

Of course IVF will, it’s viewed as the go to treatment for infertility. Not just gay couples who want to make babies.

I was referring more to the sterilization, I don’t expect many to be signing up for that.

“Brave New World” I suspect they don’t read that in High School anymore.

Not just a brave new world, but at its core, a very boring one.

I don’t know… I know more & more guys in their 30s getting sterilized. Both of my male neighbors had it done.

My brother is talking about doing it (God forbid)

Their response: it’s better than needing having the wife take the pill.

In the future, I suspect that IVF will be able to select the sex of the child and screen for genetic “defects.” Once that happens and IVF doctors start selling it, people will buy it.

People who only want two kids (a boy and a girl) will want to seriously consider the IVF in order to get the gender they are looking for.

That’s what happened recently with that white lesbian couple that sued the sperm bank after being shocked that they got a black baby instead of the white one they had ordered.

Exactly what I was thinking. Sex for fun. Babies made in factories. All that’s needed now are genetically engineered babies.

Apart from the short term thinking involved in disintegrating the unitive act of the sexual bond from the familial act of procreation, one can now easily imagine how the genetic dreams of the Nazis and a superior ‘race’ being genetically engineered according to selective criteria now becomes a distinct possibility.
Big brother knows what’s best, and with this kind of technology big brother will be in a unique position to choose exactly who his little brothers and sisters are going to be.

The female of the species has evolved to be more docile and controllable. Maybe little brother will be engineered to be little sisters instead.

I had always thought John Rock was the father of the pill, but whatever. The scientist cited in the article is also a novelist, and perhaps things have been slow in book sales, so some personal publicity was needed. In any case, these kinds of pronouncements remind me of the kinds of cover stories we’d see in magazines like Popular Science 50 or 60 years ago. A personal helicopter in every garage? Commute to work by jet pack? How did that all work out for us?

In the future, I suspect that IVF will be able to select the sex of the child and screen for genetic “defects.” Once that happens and IVF doctors start selling it, people will buy it.

People who only want two kids (a boy and a girl) will want to seriously consider the IVF in order to get the gender they are looking for.

That’s already the reality. It’s called preimplantation genetic diagnosis. It’s often an extra $4,000 per IVF cycle and requires the couple have embryos that make it to day 5 in the laboratory, because it requires cryopreservation to complete (it’s not a rapid screen).

Most doctors will not allow PGD/PGD simply for sex selection unless the reason testing is being done is for sex-linked genetic disorders

Our culture is way too absorbed with sex to begin with.
Sex in movies, in magazines, on televsion, in music, on the phone, on the internet - have I left any place out? This will only make our culture
less moral.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.