Sexual-abuse victims speak out in video against transgender bathroom laws

Victims of sexual abuse are speaking out against the danger of expanding access to restrooms and locker rooms on the basis of gender identity.

In an 11-minute video released Monday by the Alliance Defending Freedom, four victims of sexual abuse say such measures give predators heightened access to potential victims

Janine Simmons said she only began telling her personal story for a few months, but could not remain silent in the face of laws that make it easier for predators to abuse women and children.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/9/abuse-victims-speak-transgender-bathroom-laws/

Now now. We all know these so-called abuse victims are just hateful, fear mongering bigots.

Wow… even though I knew it was sarcasm, that physically hurt to write…

All sarcasm aside, that is a very powerful video. I have several friends who support these types of measures, and I just cannot fathom it. I do not understand how someone could delude themselves so greatly. Good for these people for speaking out.

I can see if the LGBT community states that their not there to cause harm. But having said that, someone who can be ingenious can dress up like the opposite sex, go to the restroom and hurt someone.

People would do this regardless. The problem is that all a man needs to do if caught was say, “At the time I went into the women’s bathroom/shower/locker room/whatever, I identified as a woman”. This is due to the claim that gender ID is fluid, which means that it can change from day to day and even hour to hour.

Exactly. On Saturday I watched the end of an interview on MSNBC with a transgender leader. She stated and she seemed sincere about it, when asked how do you think this in NC will affect the elections. She said, keep us of it we don’t want any part of it.

They should go to the restroom of their birth, or have a transgender restroom.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for filling in, I hadn’t had time to respond yet.

Thats what I was thinking, the transgender bathroom issue does not matter at all, if someone is intent on doing this type of thing, they are going to enter that bathroom no matter what kind of sign is on the door.

The other part of it is, if a guy is questioned by police on why he was in the ladies room, how could they possibly determine if he was being truthful about his gender identity? He could simply lie and say he relates to a female…nothing they could do about it then.

First of all, I agree totally; this type of abuse is terrible, and the victims have every right to feel the way they do.

As I understand it, it’s not as simple as that.

Gender identity legislation is currently being considered in Massachusetts.

The Massachusetts House bill:

malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H1577

The Massachusetts Senate bill (similar):

malegislature.gov/Bills/189/Senate/S735

Both define “gender identity” with reference to an existing definition in Massachusetts law:

malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleI/Chapter4/Section7

Fifty-ninth, ‘‘Gender identity’’ shall mean a person’s gender-related identity, appearance or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person’s physiology or assigned sex at birth. Gender-related identity may be shown by providing evidence including, but not limited to, medical history, care or treatment of the gender-related identity, consistent and uniform assertion of the gender-related identity or any other evidence that the gender-related identity is sincerely held as part of a person’s core identity; provided, however, that gender-related identity shall not be asserted for any improper purpose.

So. seemingly, I, signit, who presents himself as a man, would not be able to become a “woman for the day” and prowl around the women’s locker room. First, because I’d have no evidence of my gender-related identity, and second, because I’d be asserting it for an improper purpose. In fact, I can see the police laughing at my argument.

Schools must allow transgender bathrooms, Department of Education says

Someone joked about this being fear mongering, but that’s exactly what it is.

Allowing transgender people to use the bathroom they feel they should use is not the same as “letting grown men into little girls restrooms”, no matter how many times its repeated.

Not to mention, these laws simply can’t be enforced. I hate using Caitlyn Jenner as an example, but suppose she wasn’t a well known person. Just a stranger. I think men would be more uneasy with having her in their bathroom than women.

Not to mention…who are these parents that are letting their little children go into public restrooms unattended?

Well, at some point, most of us dads don’t keep taking their eight year old daughters into the men’s room. :shrug:

The fact that it takes videos from abuse survivors to make a point on a Catholic website is sad. We already know what the Church teaches, and failing that, most folks have common sense and the country has survived with this garbage for 200 years. Society found a way thanks to this common sense, and somehow I doubt most transgender folks were simply holding it the entire time until this became a “crisis”.

I agree 100%. There is no other plausible reason than hate and bigotry to look askance at a women exposing her penis in a women’s public rest room.

I agree, I dont think there will be any way for police to enforce this, (if police even respond to such a call in the first place), it will likely be something the manager of the business deals with.

If the laws can’t be enforced, then it can’t be enforced if men who don’t identify as transgender use a bathroom that is is indentified for use for women?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.