Sexual Harassment

Is sexual harassment a real occurrence, or a product of the “radical feminist agenda?” I will tell you why I ask later, but first I want to find out the Catholic opinion is.

[quote=Jeane]Is sexual harassment a real occurrence, or a product of the “radical feminist agenda?” I will tell you why I ask later, but first I want to find out the Catholic opinion is.
[/quote]

Sexual harassment is not just for women any more. I get offended by some comments some women make in my office.

Yes, it’s real. Not everything related to the status and treatment of women is a product of the “radical feminist agenda”. And as dhgray commented, it’s not just an issue of men mistreating women in the workplace. There can be sexual harassment perpetrated by women towards men and there can be same-xex harassment.

That said, I do think the notion of what sexual harassment is has been broadened to a ridiculous degree by our litigation happy culture. Sexual harassment used to be very specifically about one person with supervisory power threatening or coercing a subordinate. Now it more broadly applies to peers as well and I find that absurd. Inappropriate behaviour in the office such as off-color jokes or inappropriate desktop wallpaper should be dealt with as an issue of professionalism, not harassment.

Based only on a strict thumbs up thumbs down for your question, I’d be forced to concede that there is sexual harassment. However, most issues of sexual harassment are most likely connived notions of inter office politicking. In my factory, I have had to institute a males only policy to negate the effects of sexual harassment. I mean if there are no chicks around, how can the boys harass anyone?

[quote=jennstall] Now it more broadly applies to peers as well and I find that absurd. Inappropriate behaviour in the office such as off-color jokes or inappropriate desktop wallpaper should be dealt with as an issue of professionalism, not harassment.
[/quote]

Is this harassment? I work for a research consulting firm. Every time I have visited a particular university over the past two months, I have received “cat-calls” by the same two male technicians in the animal facility. They make repeated comments about how much I weigh, make “mooing” sounds when I walk by, ask me what my bra size is, comments like that.

Yesterday, one of the technicians stepped into the doorway as I was trying to get exit a room. He reached down and firmly grabbed both my breasts, then said “not enough there to get worked up over.”

I have reported the incident to my supervisor and to the supervisors of the animal facility. They said if it bothers me that much, to file a complaint with EOC, but it wasn’t a big deal.

This incident involved a man who was not supervisory or senior to me. So is it harassment? Should I report it? I don’t know what to do, trying to morally stay within what a Catholic woman should do.

[quote=gaib]** In my factory, I have had to institute a males only policy to negate the effects of sexual harassment. I mean if there are no chicks around, how can the boys harass anyone?**
[/quote]

I think harassment largely results from an inattentive or snide leadership. Your policy sounds like it might violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, unless you have less than 15 employees in which case you’d be subject to state law. Sexual harassment can occur between men so eliminating women isn’t a solution.

Well, that sounds like some legit sexual assault, if you ask me.

You might file with the EOC but you might also find that you could have criminal charges against the offender.

Your policy sounds like it might violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, unless you have less than 15 employees I don’t allow any of that non-sense legal talk in my sweat-shop either.

[quote=gaib]Based only on a strict thumbs up thumbs down for your question, I’d be forced to concede that there is sexual harassment. However, most issues of sexual harassment are most likely connived notions of inter office politicking. In my factory, I have had to institute a males only policy to negate the effects of sexual harassment. I mean if there are no chicks around, how can the boys harass anyone?
[/quote]

You mean you’re not hiring women? You are withholding equal opportunity?

Long before there was such a thing as sexual harassment policies, there was revolting gender-directed behavior in offices.

As a young journalist I was taunted and harassed as Jeane has been and if I so much as flinched was told that if I couldn’t take the heat, I should get out of the kitchen. (Go get 'em, Jeane! To say nothing allows this behavior to continue unchallenged.)

I was paid 40% less than the man in the next office who had a parallel job and told I didn’t need the money because a young woman should live at home and lookf for a husband who could take care of her.

Somebody grabbed your breasts, made comments and you dont think its a big deal?
:eek:

You need a better understanding of what Jesus meant by turning the other cheek and forgivness…he is NOT meaning this as allowing someone to demean another and get away scott free…Christianity is NOT a go belly up Faith and give in to our tormentors. Your job is twofold…to FORGIVE…AND REPORT the abuse to the proper authorities… if these people lose their jobs it isnt your problem or guilt to shoulder.

[quote=Jeane]Is this harassment? I work for a research consulting firm. Every time I have visited a particular university over the past two months, I have received “cat-calls” by the same two male technicians in the animal facility. They make repeated comments about how much I weigh, make “mooing” sounds when I walk by, ask me what my bra size is, comments like that.

Yesterday, one of the technicians stepped into the doorway as I was trying to get exit a room. He reached down and firmly grabbed both my breasts, then said “not enough there to get worked up over.”

I have reported the incident to my supervisor and to the supervisors of the animal facility. They said if it bothers me that much, to file a complaint with EOC, but it wasn’t a big deal.

This incident involved a man who was not supervisory or senior to me. So is it harassment? Should I report it? I don’t know what to do, trying to morally stay within what a Catholic woman should do.
[/quote]

ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!

I would have bit his hands off if he had grabbed my breasts!! For that kind of behavior I would have called the police! You should most definitely report it. No woman (or person) deserves that kind of treatment, Catholic or Not Catholic. You can’t let that kind of behavior go unnoticed, that sends a message to that JERK that what he did was ok.

Jeane, how did that guy get out of his cage? Man, they need to do a better job of security over at the animal facility!! :smiley:

And yes! It needs to be reported to his supervisors, that is most definitely sexual harassment!

[quote=Jeane]Is this harassment? I work for a research consulting firm. Every time I have visited a particular university over the past two months, I have received “cat-calls” by the same two male technicians in the animal facility. They make repeated comments about how much I weigh, make “mooing” sounds when I walk by, ask me what my bra size is, comments like that.

[/quote]

Oh my gosh. He actually grabbed you? I think you have a good case for harassment (defined by my husband’s cousin who is a police officer as “more than two unsolicited contacts”). And if not harassment, sexual assault.

If I were you I would report it to anyone who would listen, including the police. I’m betting you’re not the only one in this situation, and I can’t believe that their supervisors aren’t bothered (although if it’s come up before that might have something to do with it). These men need to be fired at least.

You mean you’re not hiring women? You are withholding equal opportunity?

Hiring??? Dear Lord no. I contract my “employees” from – how shall we say – employment brokers. And please don’t start the 8-hour workday **** – I only hire managers – you know manage this screwdriver or your donalded.

[quote=martino]Jeane, how did that guy get out of his cage? Man, they need to do a better job of security over at the animal facility!! :smiley:

[/quote]

She DID say it was an ANIMAL facility. I guess they take a comprehensive view of the word “animal.”

I have seen sexual harassment many times. Even directed to me. But to be honest, it has never bothered me. If directed at me, I just “fire” it back. I know I know, not always the most charitable way of handling it.

I’m I going to go running to some legal eagle and sue them? hardly!! My skin is not THAT thin, most of the time, I just laugh if off. But when I get in one of my “moods”, like wearing a “Why I’m a Catholic” t-shirt in my small southern town,(man do I get the looks-great way to start a conversation though), I just smile and ask them if that is the best they can come up with in terms of harassing or do they have an “A” game waiting in the wings. They usually shut up and walk away. :rolleyes:

You need to go back and read her post…

I dont buy the…one must have a thin skin theory in this case…

We’re not talking about harmless wisecracks and come backs…anyone who lets another INVADE their PRIVATE SPACE…in this case THEIR BODY… and thinks its just being a cry baby and “snitching” and feels they or others should just get over it…needs to have their head examined.

There’s a MAJOR difference here…if someone lets another pat their rear end, grab their breasts and does nothing but laughs it off…has PROBLEMS… not only professionally, but possibly emotionally as well…

To allow this behavior to continue brings to my mind two types of people…

Victims… or Tramps… If there is an inbetween term for someone who allows this outragious invasion of privacy…please by all means let me know.

:bigyikes:

There really is no excuse for that kind of behavior but it does happen.

At the nearly all-male medical school I attended, I was the recipient of threats, innuendos, and all sorts of behavior unbecoming of a future physician.

If the guy was standing in front of me, I would have kicked him as hard as I could with me pointy-toed shoe. And feel no regret.

Seriously, document this and report it with the EOC.

If such a thing had happened to me, reports would have been made within the half hour to HR and the local police–that’s beyond sexual harassment and into the realm of criminal sexual behavior (referring specifically to the physical contact). The previous sexual comments are complaint-worthy as well.

Sure, when it’s just verbal annoyance, there are some who are able to handle it, but that doesn’t mean that it is ever acceptable, nor should anyone ever tolerate such behavior from co-workers and/or supervisors. The appropriate response is one that I have used when I worked outside the home: “That comment is unacceptable, and I await your immediate apology and promise that you will behave properly in the future. Otherwise, I will be visiting [HR personnel by name].” Physical contact never happened, but if it had, I would have been in the office of the HR person to make the formal complaint and to add that they could call the police or I would, but criminal charges against the offender would be filed.

In the OP’s situation, presumably EOC would fill in for HR (human resources).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.