Sexual Misconduct Allegations in Politics Thread

News on credible allegations and confirmed cases of sexual misconduct in the political world. Since there are separate threads on Roy Moore, Al Franken and John Conyers, it’s best not to include them here.

This is a Christian forum so to start, let’s take a moment to consider what God has told us in seven Scriptural passages.

Sin has consequences, they may not happen in the present but God will deal with them at the end of time…

For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person -Mk 7:21-23

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them -Eph 5:4-7

… but the Triune God has called on all people to be repent (i.e. change one’s heart and mind) and be obedient to God…

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” -Mt 4:17

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. -1 Cor 6:9-11

For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you. -1 Th 4:3-8

… and in the context of this topic, the only place for sex, as originally ordained by God, is marriage, one man and one woman…

Each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. -1 Cor 7:2

Let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband -Eph 5:33

Dababneh frequently spoke about sex and his sexual exploits and showed her condoms in his desk drawer, she said.

“It was pretty much an open secret in the San Fernando Valley that this is how Matt behaved,” said Barker, who now works for the television network Ovation.

Jonathan Bash, a former president of the college Democrats at the University of California, Los Angeles, said his organization advised its women members not to intern in Sherman’s office while Debabneh worked there because he was known for making sexual comments and offering alcohol to underage women.

Known in the state Capitol for associating with a bevy of young female lobbyists in his office and at bars and restaurants, Latvala, who is married, was under surveillance last spring by an undercover private investigator who snapped a photo of him kissing a lobbyist on the lips in public.
[…]
Gaetz said he didn’t just hear stories about Latvala. He says he witnessed the incidents

The woman, whom BuzzFeed refers to only by her first name, Samantha, says Kihuen “propositioned her for dates and sex despite her repeated rejections. On two occasions, she says he touched her thighs without consent.” Samantha worked for Kihuen’s campaign from December 2015 until April 2016.

Closed thread on the UK.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/politics/state-rep-launches-plan-to-boot-lebsock/495864512

http://www.wtmj.com/news/report-women-accuse-milwaukee-legislator-of-sexual-misconduct
http://www.9news.com/news/local/next/second-colorado-lawmaker-accused-of-sexual-misconduct/492202300

I guess lust for power and sex go toghether?

Unfortunately, it seems so. This is disturbing to see so much of this. I am glad to see it coming to light, though. It is yet more bad fruit from the sexual revolution and divorcing sex from the proper context. It is my hope that all this coming to light re-awakens in us what sexual morality means and why it is important.

I think that once a culture fully embraces artificial contraception, betterment of moral sexual behavior on the whole is not likely at all.

Because powerful men never raped or assaulted women before the Pill.

Hey, are you being sarcastic? :scream:

Wasn’t it Grover Cleveland who had a child out of wedlock, prompting the campaign taunt: “Ma, ma, where’s my pa…gone to the white house, ha ha ha.”

Not saying morals haven’t declined in recent years, as I believe they have. But these things are not without precedent, either.

The Hollywood cover up machine predates the birth control pill by decades. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Powerful men have used their wealth and position to get sex, either by favor or by force, since the dawn of time, and their lackeys and peers have spent just as long helping them bury those accusations, where burying was even necessary.

True enough.

I was speaking to the culture as a whole, but I would continue to assert that the explosion of artificial contraception has lowered moral sexual behavior across the board,and is likely to have played some part in the worsening of sexual morals among the powers that be, though that is only conjecture.

The most effective cure is the least liked.

Castration? :thinking:

:scream::scream::scream:

No.

Christian teachings that have in the past been used inconsistently and completely rejected today.

Edit:
Having read your post again @JamalChristophr , I realised I completely missed it …

The only reason it looks worse is because women are finally speaking up. Taking away the pill won’t stop.rhw Weinsteins of the world from abusing women, though it would mean many more women would be saddled with unwanted pregnancies

This one is a bit different but still creepy. And this one actually has a resignation date unlike Franken.

This one is in Florida

Contraception brought about the rise in abortion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.