Sexual Morality is Immoral?

PARENTS should avoid trying to convince their teenage children of the difference between right and wrong when talking to them about sex, a new government leaflet is to advise.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5780725.ece

Of course. Trying to give them an idea that there is a difference between right and wrong would be…just wrong!

"Linda Blair, a clinical psychologist, said educating older children and teenagers about sex had to be a process of negotiation. “We do not know what is right and wrong; right and wrong is relative, although your child does need clear guidelines,” she said."Well, I am glad that we could clear that up.

Linda Blair? Where’s an exorcist when you need one?

:smiley: Ha ha, how perfectly funny!

:rotfl:
“Let me be clear about this! Nothing is clear, but we must have clear guidlines!”

Oh, that reminds me of something Chesterton wrote, on education for educations sake, “We don’t know what good is, but let’s give it to our children”.

'Cause for goodness sakes! What’s business is it of parent’s to *raise *their kids? :tsktsk: What’ll those selfish parent’s think of next? Instilling a work ethic in their kids? A conscience?

:hmmm: So when the government has it’s way, the minority of kids not slaughtered will be ammoral monsters? …An…interesting plan…:ehh:

Teens rebel. It’s pretty much fact. So while I agree that it shouldn’t be an issue to express beliefs of right-and-wrong regarding sexuality, I do believe that kids should also be taught how to do so safely. The fact is that when it comes right down to it, teens make their own decisions, and there’s nothing we can really do except try to keep an open relationship with them so they don’t feel uncomfortable talking to us about things going on in their life. And I, for one, would prefer that if my kid rebelled at me and decided to have sex, that they at least knew what they were doing and how to do it safely. :slight_smile:

Hmm… This does seem consistent with Catholic morality.

giggle I do that on occasion. :smiley:

That was my favorite part too. I wonder if I could murder someone (other than the unborn of course, since that ALSO falls under “relative morality”), and say that “we don’t really KNOW whether that was wrong. It’s relative. DON’T FORCE YOUR MORALITY ON ME!” :rolleyes:

Whatever.

I believe you forgot the word “NOT” before consistent. Teaching our kids about contraception is totally against the Catholic Faith…and that is what was meant by “safe”.

Teaching our kids about contraception is totally against the Catholic Faith…and that is what was meant by “safe”.

Giving youth accurate and complete medical information is one thing.

Teaching them proper morality is another thing.

There is no conflict in doing both.

Teens are a lot less likely to rebel, esp in that direction, than they are given credit for. If they are raised with strong morals and good explanations, and most of all, with their own parents and a close relationship with them, the likelihood of “rebellion” is very much lower…

And I don’t know about where you live, but where I live it’s apparently the law that medical people tell my children that they are able to get abc anytime they want :frowning:

Upon reflection, what I realized was that that pamphlet is trying to get the parents to do what the government wants to do in sex ed classes. I guess right now the government’s message of “Sex is great as long as you don’t get caught,” isn’t getting through sufficiently to the teens, so they have to try to trick the parents into doing that.

Well, that would really depend on whether or not you are saying that sex outside of holy matrimony is a grave sin…and with knowledge and consent becomes a mortal sin.
And mortal means the death of grace in your soul…without which, if you die, you may very well condemn yourself to hell for all eternity.

And it would depend on whether or not you are also teaching them that the use of any form of contraception is evil, and just as serious a sin as sex outside of holy matrimony.

Catholics are not allowed to say, “Don’t have sex, but if you do, use a condom.”

So now we have the government trying to tell us we are not to teach our children morality? Sounds like secular progressives are trying to make in-roads of saying that truth is relative and not one, singular and immutable. They will forever be asking Pilate’s question of “What is truth”. Some just do not learn.

The UK has annexed Texas?

Not all teenagers rebel, but a lot do. I just think that there’s enough kids that will do so that it’s a good idea to be safe rather than sorry, you know? :slight_smile:

Two things…

1- Let me make sure I understand you… If you ever sin - ever - you go to hell? What happened to God dying for your sins? :confused:

2- It seems to me that a combination of condemning contraception and condemning abortion (and I am not saying I support it so please don’t assume I do) is a pretty dangerous. That seems to make for a lot of kids who are either put up for adoption, if they are even adopted at all, or put in homes where the mother may not be financially or mentally capable of raising a child in a good environment. :frowning:

Up until 40 years ago, kids were EXPECTED to abstain from all sex outside of marriage. In the 1960’s, there was the sexual revolution where young people wanted to change all of the rules to say that everything was relative…and if it felt good, they should do it.
So why is it that until the 1960’s, out of wedlock sex was not something common, yet in 2009, kids have absolutely no control over their actions?

There are so many couple who want to adopt babies that people are now going international in order to get them because there are not enough babies available for adoption in the United States of America. Because of abortion, there are many couples who will never have the opportunity to love a baby of their own.

Now, that would be alright if everyone was doing the right thing and having sex only within the bounds of matrimony.

Anyone who says that “kids are going to do it anyway” are seriously insulting the kids of today’s world.

I’m 20 years old. I am a kid of today’s world.

People are adopting children from overseas because there is a greater need for adoption in other countries than here. But that does not mean that there is no demand for adoptees in America. There are countless kids right here who need a family, and many never get adopted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.