SF Archbishop on Pelosi: No Catholic Can Dissent from Church Teaching on Abortion

(CNSNews.com) – Responding to statements made by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi–who would not say at her press briefing last week if a 20-week-old unborn child is a “human being”–Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco said that it is a “scientific fact that human life begins at conception” and that “no Catholic can dissent in good conscience” from Church teaching on the sanctity of life.

At her Jan. 22 briefing Pelosi said she had “great standing” to speak on the issue of abortion, noting that she was a “Catholic and a mom of five” and asserting that it was “true” she knew “more about having babies than the pope.”

CNSNews.com asked Archbishop Cordileone about Pelosi’s comments on human life, particularly in light her self-description “as a Catholic and a mom of five."

m.cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/sf-archbishop-pelosi-no-catholic-can-dissent-church-teaching-abortion

She really fumbles around for her words doesn’t she.
She wasn’t convincing and seemed confused and irritated!

I am glad he came out and made the statement. Maybe he should pick up the phone and call and make sure she understands.

Pelosi’s arrogance aside,her desire for power obviously overrides her desire to live an authentic Catholic life.

Can we expect some follow-up actions from the good archbishop?

His Excellency may put the hammer down soon. :thumbsup:

So, gang, is THIS clear enough for everyone? See now where abortion ranks?

If follow up action is needed, you can be your sweet bippy this archbishop will do it. :sad_yes:

This isn’t enough, follow up action is required; unfortunately, I do not believe the Archbishop will go farther on this. No history of American Catholic politicians facing consequences within the Church for their pro-abortion stands.

I hope so. I hope many begin to abide by Church teaching.

She needs to stop calling herself Catholic.

…among many other people.

But wouldn’t she further be going against Church teaching if she did that?

She’s leading SO many people astray. I’ve heard pro-abortion Catholics actually use Pelosi as “proof” of why this is ok. “If Pelosi is in good standing with the Church and is vocally and publicly pro-abortion, why can’t I be?”

I can say I’m a vegetarian all I want, but if I eat beef every day, am I really a vegetarian?

An arrogant twit…

Poor analogy. There is no teaching I know that says baptized a Vegetarian, always a Vegetarian. The Church has it’s teachings including that people baptized in the CC are Catholics. Sure they may be imperfect ones, not in full communion ones, or whatnot. But if you’re going to criticize Pelosi for eating at the cafeteria, you can’t too be eating from the cafeteria. Would seem to me, like it or not, you would have to embrace that she is a Catholic. Otherwise that’s also picking and choosing what you accept.

You’re right. A baptized Catholic is always a Catholic. I should have been more clear and said “a Catholic in good standing” because she has called herself that.

I just don’t understand why she would go around talking about how she’s Catholic when she disagrees with a major tenet of the faith?

Regina, I understand. And I’m glad you were clearer so others aren’t also led astray as to what the Church teaches about something else. I can only suppose it’s at least partilally because of that OCAC teaching that she does so though.

In the end does it matter? Being Catholic doesn’t guarantee salvation.

Actually she needs to start following Catholic teaching… won’t hold my breath though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.