Shaban, Argues He's a Different Kind Of Republican As He Aims For Himes' Seat

Hey CAF,

courant.com/politics/elections/hc-ct4-house-himes-shaban-20160908-story.html

This is a little bit of a different type of election year “who can I vote for?” question. As you can see in this article, the Republican candidate for US Congress this year in Connecticut is pro-choice (and pro-government hands-off with marriage) along with the Democratic candidate. This scenario is the same for the candidates for US Senate. However, the Republican candidates both seem to line up with my views in all other ways.

Therefore, my question is: since both candidates are pro-choice and one of them will still be elected to his respective position regardless of my vote, would it be morally permissible for me to vote for the pro-choice Republican, since in other ways he would be better? Or should I simply abstain for these particular races?

Thanks and God bless!

Salutations,
As the morals of society has decreased

I would vote for the one who is less pro-abortion/more pro-life. There are typically differences, even though they may seem subtle at first glance. (There is a reason the news media does not cover such differences.) For instance, many secular leftist candidates want the taxpayers to be forced to pay for all abortions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.