Shake the dust from your feet!

Jmj

Matthew 10:14 – “Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words – go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.”

I recently had a good conversation with a Protestant (Baptist) family member, we did a little bit of debating too. One of the things that remained with me afterwards though, was his use of Matthew 10:14… it was used so frequently, I can hardly even remember the context of ONE of its uses!

In any case, I’m curious, how does one argue against a seeming lack of interest in discussing anything challenging? If we start talking about an issue that would be a challenge for a Catholic and a Protestant to discuss… he just falls back on Matthew 10:14, like it doesn’t matter! “Nope… once you’re saved, you can’t ever lose it. You don’t agree? Well, that’s too bad… but I’ll just shake the dust off my shoes and move on!”

It just seems too easy to use Matthew 10:14 as an excuse to not learn or even discuss. Or worse… too easy to condemn people! When we discussed another family member who we are both concerned about, I was again referred to Matthew 10:14… like, “Just forget about ‘em, shake the dust off your shoes and move on… some people are meant to be lost.” I don’t really understand that thought process very well.

So let me know what you think… about Matthew 10:14 specifically if you can!

May the Lord be with you!

Jason

[quote=jasonb82abn]Jmj

Matthew 10:14 – “Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words – go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.”

I recently had a good conversation with a Protestant (Baptist) family member, we did a little bit of debating too. One of the things that remained with me afterwards though, was his use of Matthew 10:14… it was used so frequently, I can hardly even remember the context of ONE of its uses!

In any case, I’m curious, how does one argue against a seeming lack of interest in discussing anything challenging? If we start talking about an issue that would be a challenge for a Catholic and a Protestant to discuss… he just falls back on Matthew 10:14, like it doesn’t matter! “Nope… once you’re saved, you can’t ever lose it. You don’t agree? Well, that’s too bad… but I’ll just shake the dust off my shoes and move on!”

It just seems too easy to use Matthew 10:14 as an excuse to not learn or even discuss. Or worse… too easy to condemn people! When we discussed another family member who we are both concerned about, I was again referred to Matthew 10:14… like, “Just forget about ‘em, shake the dust off your shoes and move on… some people are meant to be lost.” I don’t really understand that thought process very well.

So let me know what you think… about Matthew 10:14 specifically if you can!

Jason
[/quote]

In the ancient language of Blockhead, Matthew 10:14 translates: “I don’t know what you are talking about but I’m right, so I’m not going to address the matter.”

Well, The scripture he is using sounds like to me that after an actuall attempt that you say, “Well, this one will overtly not listen, so of to green pastures.” Not, “ohh you’re not baptist well I will not waste my time.” Of coarse the time and effort elapsed between the two points is a grey area. But, tell him that Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor and if we are as wrong as he thinks we are, he is not being all that loving if he is not even trying to show you.

Mt. 10:14 is a part of Jesus’ instructions to his disciples who were going to preach the good news to their own people. Jesus desired own people to accept his message and welcome it with joy. But, he also knew that he would be rejected by his own people, and this is the foreshadowing of that rejection.

I will cite a couple of examples of when we are to shake the dust off our feet: Often a Catholic who is a newbie to this forum will come in all excited about some anti-Catholic website and want us to all go over to it to straighten out these misguided souls. I have to applaud such zeal, but it is wasted on people who would go so far as to pay for a website for the main purpose of bashing the Catholic Church. Such people have hardened their hearts against hearing anything contrary to their biases and have no interest in being enlightened as to their ignorance. So, we have to tell the eager newbie that it isn’t worth the trouble and cite Mt. 10:14 or the passage in which Jesus told us “do not cast your pearls before swine.”

Then there are times when some anti-Catholic comes sailing onto the board to post his hatred and his misinformation and sails right out again. He has no interest in learning anything, but is happy in his prejudice, so all our efforts to show him where he is wrong are a waste of everyone’s time. It is extremely rare that anyone so completely convinced that the Church it evil and the WoB is going to be open to hearing any differently.

Still, we pray daily for such souls who are filled with anger and disillusionment, and leave them to God. And I think that is what Jesus meant, too. If they won’t listen to you, leave them to God’s mercy and go away with a clear conscience. Of course, this should also mean that you actually are bringing Christ’s message to others not a truncated or skewed version of it. Nor should this be done with an air of superiority but with a true love for others–with the love of Christ himself.

Well, The scripture he is using sounds like to me that after an actuall attempt that you say, “Well, this one will overtly not listen, so of to green pastures.” Not, “ohh you’re not baptist well I will not waste my time.” Of coarse the time and effort elapsed between the two points is a grey area.

Sorry… I’m not really sure what you’re saying here!

But, tell him that Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor and if we are as wrong as he thinks we are, he is not being all that loving if he is not even trying to show you.

Now this sounds pretty good. Still, I’m pretty sure it would come up short if I tried to use it. I guess I was hoping for some stronger advice and a little more practical, considering my relative is pretty quick to “wash his hands!” :wink:

Does this interpretation of Mat 10:14 that my relative uses give people an excuse or reason (whichever you prefer) to give up?

[quote=Della]Mt. 10:14 is a part of Jesus’ instructions to his disciples who were going to preach the good news to their own people. Jesus desired own people to accept his message and welcome it with joy. But, he also knew that he would be rejected by his own people, and this is the foreshadowing of that rejection.

I will cite a couple of examples of when we are to shake the dust off our feet: Often a Catholic who is a newbie to this forum will come in all excited about some anti-Catholic website and want us to all go over to it to straighten out these misguided souls. I have to applaud such zeal, but it is wasted on people who would go so far as to pay for a website for the main purpose of bashing the Catholic Church. Such people have hardened their hearts against hearing anything contrary to their biases and have no interest in being enlightened as to their ignorance. So, we have to tell the eager newbie that it isn’t worth the trouble and cite Mt. 10:14 or the passage in which Jesus told us “do not cast your pearls before swine.”

Then there are times when some anti-Catholic comes sailing onto the board to post his hatred and his misinformation and sails right out again. He has no interest in learning anything, but is happy in his prejudice, so all our efforts to show him where he is wrong are a waste of everyone’s time. It is extremely rare that anyone so completely convinced that the Church it evil and the WoB is going to be open to hearing any differently.

Still, we pray daily for such souls who are filled with anger and disillusionment, and leave them to God. And I think that is what Jesus meant, too. If they won’t listen to you, leave them to God’s mercy and go away with a clear conscience. Of course, this should also mean that you actually are bringing Christ’s message to others not a truncated or skewed version of it. Nor should this be done with an air of superiority but with a true love for others–with the love of Christ himself.
[/quote]

Very well put. Della, your wisdom continues to astound me.

Jmj

Della, I liked your response - very “to the point.” But, at the same time… it seems like there is no real counter-response to a person “invoking” MAT 10:14 - only prayer and patience. I have to admit, that is (a little) disappointing! But, I will definitely keep that in mind. I have no trouble admitting that I could use some work in exercising patience!

I’m sure you can imagine the scenario though… having a conversation (largely about religion,) trying to be charitable and open to hearing all the points that your Protestant friend (relative in this case) makes, but then when YOU try to make a point… they seem to feel very assured that MAT 10:14 is all they need to remind you of! That is why I was hoping for something more direct, or concrete to respond with. But, I really appreciate you insight. I’ll chew on it for a while. :wink:

Jason

[quote=jasonb82abn]But, at the same time… it seems like there is no real counter-response to a person “invoking” MAT 10:14 - only prayer and patience. I have to admit, that is (a little) disappointing!
[/quote]

Only prayer and patience? There is nothing more powerful than prayer, love, patience, and humility!

Here’s an idea. When you are involved in discussion, and they shut you down by invoking Matt 10:14, respond with this:

“You know, every time I try to explain the Catholic faith, you refuse to listen by using Matt 10:14 as an excuse. Therefore, since our discussion will never be able to progress in such a climate, I am going to shake the dust from my feet”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jmj

Only prayer and patience? There is nothing more powerful than prayer, love, patience, and humility!

Ha ha! You got me! :wink: I know what you mean Mickey, I really do. I wasn’t trying to imply that I have no use for prayer, or that I doubt it’s benefits either! If that is what came across, I apologize! What I was getting at was better addressed by the latter part of your post. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Jason

[quote=jasonb82abn]Jmj

Ha ha! You got me! :wink: I know what you mean Mickey, I really do. I wasn’t trying to imply that I have no use for prayer, or that I doubt it’s benefits either! If that is what came across, I apologize! What I was getting at was better addressed by the latter part of your post. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Jason
[/quote]

:blessyou:

[quote=jasonb82abn]Sorry… I’m not really sure what you’re saying here!
[/quote]

Alright I will try to explain what I was saying. The passage that was being used sounds like to me this:

If someone won’t listen forget about it and move on.
That there is some acctual effort in between the disagreement and “dusting your shoes off”

Not, You don’t agree with me so forget about it.

Did I do better this time? I am sorry if my earlier post was out there. If it makes you feel any better, when I am writing down a thought, I have had a sentence go on for a page and a half once and that is the point where noone but, me and God understand it (and I am annoid when my aunt edits it into 13 diffrent sentences). I don’t like editors :mad: they mutilate ones work.

Hi,

Matthew 10
11 Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it, and stay there until you leave. 12 As you enter a house, wish it peace. 13 If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; if not, let your peace return to you. 6 14 7 Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words–go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. 15 Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16 "Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves.

Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. 33 But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father. 34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. 35 For I have come to set a man ‘against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and one’s enemies will be those of his household.’ 37 "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up his cross 15 and follow after me is not worthy of me.

I think that people use the verse (Matthew 10:14) out of context, to silence Catholic who want to share their faith.

Have all the discusions you want, BUT NEVER at the expense of the truth. You will know that it’s time to leave when they try to silence you. Catholics are led in ALL truth. Protestants are not. You will know when they reject you, they will want you to compromise your faith, THEN it’s time to kick the dust from your feet.

Jesus IS Obedience,
John

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.