Shame of the details

would I have to confess what type of birth control my husband and I use? who cares if it's a condom or withdrawal or through the masturbation at the end. It is a shame to make that details and at the end all of them are the same.

If you confess you're using ABC, the priest will ask you what kind, if he is interested. I don't think it matters due to the Church's reasons for this rule. The Church requires the unitive property and the procreative property to be present in order for sex to be licit. ABCs, whatever form one uses, interferes with the unitive property (as well as the procreative property), which is why it is forbidden by the Church. He'll ask you if he feels he has to know specifically what kind of ABC you're using....

I've confessed by saying "used contraception." The priest didn't ask for any details. Just answer if he asks.

CCC

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4D.HTM

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

You can just say that you and your husband practice birth control, and let it go at that. If the priest needs more information (doubtful), he will ask.

[quote="ADiosgracias, post:1, topic:296007"]
would I have to confess what type of birth control my husband and I use? who cares if it's a condom or withdrawal or through the masturbation at the end. It is a shame to make that details and at the end all of them are the same.

[/quote]

The more important "detail" is whether you have stopped the practice or not.

The language above is present tense which makes it sound like this is an ongoing practice.

If that is the case....If you are not contrite and "firmly resolved to sin no more" then there can be no absolution regardless of how general or specific you are.

If I have misunderstood your post....my apologies.

Peace
James

You are very courageous to confront this issue. Our society today is a strong promoter of this practice and you are standing with God.

I can tell you after 26 years of marriage my wife still uses contraception and it is very depressing. I pray you persevere.

[quote="ADiosgracias, post:1, topic:296007"]

[/quote]

The term "masterbation" is very specific and in order for it to be that, it has to have sexual gratification as at least one of it's reasons. What I'm getting at is, that if masturbation was involved, than that needs to be confessed too (you can call it impure touching.)

[quote="JRKH, post:6, topic:296007"]
The more important "detail" is whether you have stopped the practice or not.

The language above is present tense which makes it sound like this is an ongoing practice.

If that is the case....If you are not contrite and "firmly resolved to sin no more" then there can be no absolution regardless of how general or specific you are.

If I have misunderstood your post....my apologies.

Peace
James

[/quote]

You are right!!! the problem is that we have different opinion in that matter and it is a sin that I couldn't eradicate yet. I'm working on it.

Fair enough…I am glad that I did not offend. Do talk this over with your confessor…

Peace
James

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.