Shame

Hi. I have read your stories of after you confess your sins, you feel a lot better. :slight_smile: Well…that is true for me at the most cases. But when ever I have a sin that is a bigger one and hard to tell, afterwards I feel a lot WORST. :frowning: I feel humiliated stripped of my privacy and worst… I wonder what I may be doing wrong or if it is supposed to change better…It was almost 2 years from my last bigger sin and it still feels bad. I have another bigger sin to tell and I am afraid I might lie or cover it up. It has happened to me before. I hope you can help me somehow.

Shame is a good thing. It is a good indicator of contrition. Use the shame as a reminder never to commit the sin again.

You should also be aware that you are confessing your sins to Christ through his priest. When you are in the confessional booth, try to remember that you are confessing to Christ. Christ already knows your sins; you are simply admitting them to him and asking for his mercy. Don’t lie to Christ about your sins because he knows them anyway. You must be truthful and to the point.

Remember, you are completely forgiven during confession. God, through the ministry of his servant the priest, is forgiving you of every sin you have confessed. After you have completed your penance, you should not beat yourself up about a particular sin that has been forgiven. Just do your best not to commit the same sin again.

Accept the mercy of Christ and get on with your life. Never look back and always strive for personal holiness.

I suggest you discuss this with your priest.

Great advice, I have that on my wall, “Forgetting what lies behind and pressing on to the goal!” I can get panic attacks but they’re only bad when I’m forgetting where my eyes should be.

Here is a prayer from St. Faustina’s Diary:

"It’s no longer in my power,
To change, correct or add to the past;
For neither sages nor prophets could do that.
And so, what the past has embraced I must entrust to God

O present moment, you belong to me, whole and entire.
I desire to use you as best I can.
And although I am weak and small,
You grant me the grace of Your omnipotence."

Pax Christi tecum.

:thumbsup: …***“Forgetting what lies behind and pressing on to the goal!”…***

Jolly good advice in this thread!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.