Shape Up or Pay Up: Rahm Emanuel's Ultimatum

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is giving city workers an important health choice: enroll in a new wellness plan, expected to be unveiled Friday, or pay a higher premium.

The price if they don’t enroll: $50 a month.

“We will help you be a good steward for your health,” Emanuel said Friday, “but if you choose not to, you’ll pay that price and that is the price you’ll have to pay.”

nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Shape-Up-or-Pay-Up-Emanuel-129945248.html#ixzz1YA1QY6Ga

Thoughts?

Chicago will be the next Detroit.

Elections have consequences?:stuck_out_tongue:

Why stop at exercise? How about other health related activities.

Don’t male homosexuals have higher rates of HIV?

Do smokers have higher rates of lung cancer?

Drinkers have higher liver failure rates?

Will they be fined?

My wife’s employer will pay $50 monthly towards a gym membership. There is no fine for not joining.

This is typical leftist social modification.

Under socialized health care, the government owns your body.

Politically, Chicago has always imitated New York City. Now they have a dictator for a mayor just as New York City has Bloomberg! Welcome to the club! For the rest of you, you’re next. This is what the voters get when they demand a nanny state.

I live in the Chicago area and the hospital where I work started us on this type of “insurance plan” last year. If we don’t participate in the “wellness” part of it, we pay a higher premium. Significantly higher. So far it just consisted of: at the start of the coverage we had to submit from our own doctors or go to a “wellness event” for blood pressure, height, weight, labs including blood sugar and cholesterol / triglycerides. Rumor has it that they will soon be “upgrading” these requirements to include “age appropriate” wellness care, such as colonoscopy for those over 50, annual pap smears for women, etc. or you pay the higher premium. They seem to have lost the understanding of how the BALANCE of the group insurance rate works… :shrug:
I can only assume that soon they will have little insurance men popping up to monitor our daily fruit / vegetable and fiber intake. :eek:
This intrusion into our private lives is exactly why I refuse to vote Democrat, under any circumstances. They are ALL about big government and running the private lives of the poor, stupid cattle who voted them into office. :mad:
I think this is a great red flag for all who voted the current administration into office. Between things like this and the mess they’ve made of our economy and world standing, is there any doubt that this needs to be a one term event??? Rahm is a very typical symptom of the Obama administration. As well he should be since he came from them.
I wish it was November 2012 right now so we could get started cleaning up this mess!

Might be a good idea to use cash instead or credit card when picking up a burger or a donut. Cash is harder to trace than credit.
And for sure the people in the government know what what is best for you, so it is all for our own good.
Now be good boys and girls and ear your soylent greens

And what gives you the idea that various government organs won’t be putting up monitoring cameras outside every fast-food resturant to capture your license plate number, the same way they have them mounted at traffic lights, so if you run the light, you still get nailed?

The day after enjoying your two Whoppers with cheese and jumbo fries, you’ll be getting a letter in the mail explaining that you have been observed in violation of Section IV, Item 1b, subsection 11 of the 2012 Criminal Foods Act, as amended, and are hereby ordered to appear in District Court to explain your lapse, or to pay within 14 days of the reciept of this message, the standard fine of $350.00 and a scheduled trip to your government-approved physician for further training.

Welcome to Amerika.

I am not sure if that is the more likely scenario, or if the cashless society will come first. They are both arriving at the same pace, and to the same effect.
Welcome to the age of information. There is very little already that the government does not know.

And yes, there is a fine for that.

Grilled steaks at my place. Just none of that well-done nonsense.:wink:

I like mine cooked medium well. :smiley:

As far as the article goes, that’s just plain crazy.

When I knock on the door, and you slide the little eye-level slider back, what password do I give so you’ll know I’m not the Federal Food Police?

Do you think you could get some bacon on the black market, and maybe some Doritos smuggled in from Canada?

i am glad i don’t live in chicago. living under the obama regime is bad enough, but having to live under the rahm emanuel regime would be a double whammy. this is the worst type of government when you give an ultimatum like this. does this mean in the future they will be tracking how many candy bars at the grocery store or how many fast food restaurants i visit on a weekly basis? rahm emanuel didn’t impress me when he was in washington and he doesn’t impress me as mayor of chicago.

But I like that cancer-causing black stuff
that flakes off the charred well-done steaks …
:smiley:

Is medium well ok? I prefer my steaks not to moo at me when I take a bite. :smiley:

Ah, it looks like we got a city slicker at coming to this bar-b-q…

Yeah, pretty much. :blush:
Chicago.
But I can say y’all pretty well. :smiley:

I’d start out with fixin. Fixin means, something you about to do.

Like, I’m fixin to go out to the barn.

Once you have mastered that, you can move on to deal. Deal can be pretty much any noun whose proper name doesn’t come to mind before the word deal does.

Like, I’m fixin to take the deal out to the barn.

Usually, whatever the deal is, isn’t really important enough anyway.

Then you should attempt y’all.

I would also suggest purchasing all of the Jeff Foxworthy CDs you can find. Listening to them during your morning and afternoon commute will help tremendously.

Not sure there’s such a big distinction here between Chicago and your wife’s employer. In her case, the employer is trying to modify the behavior of its employees. The penalty for not doing things their way is you don’t get the $50. It’s a little ham-fisted, since some may not need a gym membership if they get their exercise at their own pool or treadmill, but that’s the rule.

It’s effectively the same thing for the city, where health insurance prices would be going up, or benefits down, without this policy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.