Share your cookware discoveries that you now can't live without

*I posted in the birthday thread, that my dh bought me a casserole dish, made out of cast iron and enamel. An unusual combo. I had been wanting this casserole dish that Giada from the foodnetwork cooks with, but little did I know it was made out of cast iron. (not sure if hers is, but this looks nearly identical:confused:) It is soooo heavy, I can’t believe it. Can’t wait to make some new dishes using this soon…think it’s going to be used A LOT. Do you have any cookware discoveries that you use over and over and can’t live without? Oh, anyone here cook a lot with stainless steel pots and pans? If so, what do you think?

Thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to our favorite cookware, kitchen gadgets. Please list brand names if you don’t mind? *

*Oh, it's made by "cooks"...if you are looking for one of these. *

Did you get a Le Creuset? I am sooooo jealous! I have wanted one of those for 30 years.

I love my Corning Creations bakeware and my Calphalon Commercial pans, I also could not LIVE without my Rabbit wine opener.

i love enamel cookware. i bought a used copco enamel over cast iron and a used le crueset enamel over iron about ten years ago. both dutch ovens. and one copco fry pan.

who can live without the dutch ovens? not me. they are in as perfect condition as they were 10 years ago. so i bought for my daughter this Christmas a set:
3 qt dutch, 6 qt dutch and 3 qt casserole, all lidded, from Lodge.

it was rated higher than le crueset and costs about a third. the color is a gorgeous cobalt blue. it will last her a lifetime.

my copco fry pan is a little inconvenient, though-- it’s too heavy to be a single handle pan.

my other kitchen loves-- my 2 Dansk aqua paella pans. i use them all the time (because we always cook for a crowd.)

*yes, kage that’s it…! I looked it up just now…he bought it at JCP, for my bday. He picked the color out…I just love it. This thing looks so durable that it could withstand a tank running it over! :smiley: I really was pleasantly surprised with this tonight! *

*Here’s the link (it is labeled as a casserole dish on the box though) *
www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemTyp=G&itemID=14fa0b2&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=enamel+and+cast+iron&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

*I just looked up others online, made by Martha Stewart and others…and it’s being referred to as a dutch oven? Huh. The box this came in labels it as a 5.5 quart casserole dish. But the link I provided is the type of pot…but made by cooks. *

*Hi monica…I can imagine that this pot will become a favorite before long. I am feeling I’m the only one here who was not aware of the cast iron/enamel combo. lol :blush:

Dansk aqua paella pans…I have never heard of these! Do tell… I need a notebook here. :)*

You will wonder how you braised roasts without that pan!

I should be in bed, why am I up? I’m sitting here, hubby is watching Bobby Flay’s throwdown…and he is using a lot of stainless steel…I just don’t get why people use those…I cook, but I’m far from a chef…looks like he is cooking sauces…but isn’t clean up a pain in those?

Re: braising beef…yes, kage…that is what I noticed Giada making the other day, and she had a pot like this one (the cast iron/enamel) and I was like…THAT is what I need for doing roasts. They just never get that nice crust in other pans I have used. :shrug:*

here is the dansk paella pan (in aqua). (my kitchen has a lot of aqua.) i bought mine on ebay years ago BEFORE they started soaring in price.
they're not as heave as cast iron. they are great oven pans. the one you got will be great on the stovetop AND the oven.

cgi.ebay.com/13-5-DANSK-PAELLA-PAN-TURQUOISE-AQUA-J-QUISTGAARD_W0QQitemZ260522284822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca8569716

the best way to use your pan so it lasts forever: use wooden or synthetic spatulas when cooking. no metal. hang the pot to store and do not stack the lid. clanking it against other heavy pots will chip the enamel (if anything will.)

did you get the le crueset in aqua? it's a gorgeous color. my alltime fave for kitchen stuff.

I reeealllllllllly want cast iron pots and pans. My family makes fun of me for it. I said, "Hey, I can cook with cast iron. My arms will be so strong from picking up the pans that I won't have any problems picking up my future babies." Hehe.

Anyway, we use my grandma's pots now. They are completely metal. I'm not sure what type, though. I like them.

oh, WGirl,

best dutch oven EASY recipe:

scalloped potatoes:
in greased dutch oven, layer:
sliced, scrubbed potatoes (boilers will cook faster than bakers, but either is good)
sprinkles of flour
grated cheddar cheese
salt, pepper

when you have enough layers, gently pour milk in to about 1/3 depth of your potatoes (pour down the side so it doesnt disrupt your layers)

lid, bake 350 for an hour, test for doneness.

want to add cooked hamburger? ham? brocolli? go right ahead. make it a dinner.

I have 3 cast iron skillets and want more cast iron. I would like to get a cast iron casserole; either enameled or not. You can cook on top of the stove and inside oven w/ cast iron. Cast iron goes and goes . . . . you can hand it down to your children. I am sure Ma on *Little House on the Prairie *cooked w/ cast iron and look what it did for Pa!
There was not a domestic nor territorial problem Pa could not resolve.
PS I am getting each of our adult children a cast iron wok for Christmas(+intro level Chinese stir fry cookbook).

re: kage_ar's Rabbit wine cork. Tested for 20,000 cork pulls is what it reads @ the Rabbit Wine Cork website. I am getting one!

[quote="monicatholic, post:12, topic:180017"]
oh, WGirl,

best dutch oven EASY recipe:

scalloped potatoes:
in greased dutch oven, layer:
sliced, scrubbed potatoes (boilers will cook faster than bakers, but either is good)
sprinkles of flour
grated cheddar cheese
salt, pepper

when you have enough layers, gently pour milk in to about 1/3 depth of your potatoes (pour down the side so it doesnt disrupt your layers)

lid, bake 350 for an hour, test for doneness.

want to add cooked hamburger? ham? brocolli? go right ahead. make it a dinner.

[/quote]

*Oh my...this sounds wonderful! :) Thank you for this recipe. I'm surprised a little booklet didn't come with this pot because since I've never cooked with something like this (well, we had a regular cast iron pan a while back in our marriage) I need some help.

I was wondering how this sounds for Christmas dinner? It will be just me and the kiddos this year...we're not traveling until AFTER the holiday, since dh has to work ON Christmas. :mad: That's a topic for another time...grateful for work, but amazing that Disney is keeping his dept open. Oh well. I was wondering after kage posted about braising beef....about making something along those lines for our Christmas dinner...what kind of seasonings do you ''rub'' onto the meet before braising? Giada made something like this recently, I need to see if she has any tips on her page.

Thx in advance for the help!*

[quote="MJE, post:14, topic:180017"]
re: kage_ar's Rabbit wine cork. Tested for 20,000 cork pulls is what it reads @ the Rabbit Wine Cork website. I am getting one!

[/quote]

hahaha I want one too! That's amazing.

[quote="whatevergirl, post:16, topic:180017"]
hahaha I want one too! That's amazing.

[/quote]

We have had ours for years and have never had a problem with it.

Were the other pans (gasp) non stick? You are not going to get a nice crust/good browing in non-stick. Those dreaded stainless steel will let you get a good crisp on your meat.

That is one thing I love about my hard anon. alum Calphalon - they goregous way you can brown meat.

*Oops, wrong link ladies. THIS is what my dh bought me…close, but not the french oven. Iknew something was off…it’s a cast iron/enamel casserole dish.

www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemTyp=C&itemID=16085a7&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=enamel+cast+iron+casserole&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

They are having a nice sale on these, kage, at JC Penney. Truthfully…I buy most of our cookware and so forth there…I really like their selection, and sales. :)*

[quote="kage_ar, post:18, topic:180017"]
Were the other pans (gasp) non stick? You are not going to get a nice crust/good browing in non-stick. Those dreaded stainless steel will let you get a good crisp on your meat.

Yes! Non stick...okay, that makes sense. Now, I can successfully get the crust we're looking for...it stinks to watch a cooking show, buy everything to dupe the recipe, and you can't figure out what you're doing wrong. So, I blame our cookware...it wasn't me. :p

[/quote]

*I have a few of Paula Deen's pans...I LOVE these. I was skeptical at first, but the clean up is a breeze, and the bottom looks to be enamel/ceramic? It heats the food evenly...they are great. I highly recommend.

DH and I said in the interest of saving money this year...we are going to give the kids things for Christmas, and he and I will just exchange for our birthdays. His is next month. So, both close to Christmas. That said, however...we both agreed to go shopping for some kitchen/cookware things together...and he said he'd like some stainless steel pots and pans. I just find it odd, I don't know why, seeing sauces made in them...it seems like they'd burn quickly in a stainless steel pan...:confused:*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.