Share Your Favorite Quotes Here!

There have been threads like this, but they came before the age of fun and fancy meme-making. So you have a favorite Catholic quote? It can also be any quote that is friendly to/compatible with the Catholic faith.

(And yes, it’s OK if you just want to type it out).

It can come from anywhere - perhaps Scripture, a saint, or a particular day when your parish priest was on fire with his homily.

Sometimes quotes get attributed to the wrong source. Work patiently and see this as a work in progress.

I’ll begin!

Wis 6:10 For they will be made holy who observe holy things in holiness.

“I have often raised my hand in the silence of the night and in my solitary cell, blessing you and presenting your needs to Jesus…” St. Padre Pio

“ONLY IN GOD IS MY SOUL AT REST”

“This World’s thy ship and not they home”

Am I not here, I who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not the source of your joy? Are you not in the hollow of my mantle, in the crossing of my arms? Do you need something more? Let nothing else worry you or disturb you.

~The words of Our Lady to Juan Diego~

I’m a recent convert not yet entered RCIA, so along with an Early Church Fathers book and a browser bookmark for the CCC, I have a whole notes page of these! (Not all specifically pertaining to our faith)

“The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon…that there is something in the universe more mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear.”
-G. K. Chesterton

“All nature is but art, unknown to thee;
All chance, direction, which thou canst not see;
All discord, harmony not understood;
All partial evil, universal good.
And, spite of pride, in erring reason’s spite,
One truth is clear, 'Whatever is, is right.’”
-Alexander Pope

“Fools admire, but men of sense approve.”
-Alexander Pope

“What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn’t much better than tedious disease.”
-Alexander Pope

“Party-spirit at best is but the madness of many for the gain of a few.”
-Alexander Pope

“Order is Heaven’s first law.” -Alexander Pope

“They dream in courtship, but in wedlock wake.”
-Alexander Pope

“The bookful blockhead, ignorantly read, with loads of learned lumber in his head.”
-Alexander Pope

“A person who is too nice an observer of the business of the crowd, like one who is too curious in observing the labor of bees, will often be stung for his curiosity.”
-Alexander Pope

“Our passions are like convulsion fits, which, though they make us stronger for a time, leave us the weaker ever after.”
-Alexander Pope

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
-Fulton J. Sheen

“The righteous man is his own accuser.”
-Proverbs 18:17

“The reformer is often right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right.”
-G.K. Chesterton

“Those who are hampered by invincible ignorance about our holy religion, and live honorably and uprightly, keeping the natural law with its commands (which are written in every human heart by God), being ready to obey God, can attain eternal life with the help of the power of divine light and grace. God clearly sees, searches out and knows the minds, hearts, thoughts and dispositions of everyone; in his great goodness and mercy he will on no account permit a man to be punished with eternal torments, who is not guilty of voluntary sin.”
-Pope Pius XI

“Whoever does not wish to have Mary Immaculate as his Mother will not have Christ as his brother.”
-St. Maximillian Kolbe

“Confidence: the food of the wise man, but the liquor of the fool.”
-Anonymous

(That last one isn’t reeeaaally anonymous, it’s from a character on The Office :joy:)

“Lord, if this is how You treat Your friends, no wonder You have so few!”

• St Teresa of Avila

Wonderful quotes!! Thanks for sharing!

Please tell me it wasn’t Dwight . . .

Oh no no, though he’s a goldmine lol. It was Vikrum, the Indian guy Michael met at the telemarketing place

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.” -G. K. Chesterton-

Always forward, never back. - Junipero Serra

Today rather than tomorrow. Tomorrow rather than later. - Joan of Arc

(on being asked when she’d like to begin her mission).

Don’t look back. Something may be gaining on you. - Satchel Paige. (Negro League Hall of Fame Pitcher).

“But I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child, a direct killing of the innocent child, murder by the mother herself. And if we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?”

~Saint Mother Teresa~

There are just so many wonderful and amazing writings and speeches in the church, and so these are just a few that I can think of now (excluding scriptures):

When Our Lord, after He changed the bread and wine to His Body and Blood, told His Apostles to eat and drink, He was doing for the soul of man what food and drink do for the body. Unless the plants sacrifice themselves to being plucked up from the roots, they cannot nourish or commune with man. The sacrifice of what is lowest must precede communion with what is higher. First His death was mystically represented; then communion followed. The lower is transformed into the higher; chemicals into plants; plants into animals; chemicals, plants, and animals into man; and man into Christ by communion. The followers of Buddha derive no strength from his life but only from his writings. The writings of Christianity are not as important as the life of Christ, Who living in glory, now pours forth on His followers the benefits of His sacrifice. - Bishop Sheen

To serve (Mary) is to reign - possibly St. John of Damascus

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well - The Lord Jesus through Julian of Norwich

For the love of God is broader
Than the measure of man’s mind;
And the heart of the Eternal
Is most wonderfully kind.

If our love were but more simple,
We should take Him at His word;
And our lives would be all sunshine
In the sweetness of our Lord.

Souls of men! why will ye scatter
Like a crowd of frightened sheep?
Foolish hearts! why will ye wander
From a love so true and deep?

It is God: His love looks mighty,
But is mightier than it seems;
’Tis our Father: and His fondness
Goes far out beyond our dreams.

But we make His love too narrow
By false limits of our own;
And we magnify His strictness
With a zeal He will not own.

Was there ever kinder shepherd
Half so gentle, half so sweet,
As the Savior who would have us
Come and gather at His feet? - Fr. Faber - Jesus and Mary hymnal

And two more:

May thy body, O Lord, which I have received, and thy blood which I have drunk, cleave to my inmost parts. And grant that no stain of sin may remain in me, whom these pure and holy sacraments have refreshed. - Corpus tuum from liturgy

Now all my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large. To me there is nothing but puerility in a tale in which the human form—and the local human passions and conditions and standards—are depicted as native to other worlds or other universes. To achieve the essence of real externality, whether of time or space or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good and evil, love and hate, and all such local attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all. Only the human scenes and characters must have human qualities. These must be handled with unsparing realism , ( not catch-penny romanticism ) but when we cross the line to the boundless and hideous unknown—the shadow-haunted Outside —we must remember to leave our humanity and terrestrialism at the threshold. - H. P. Lovecraft (this is a good explanation of how we must think of divine truths, for example the theories of atonement being discussed on the other thread, which causes most people many problems, although this is not really what Lovecraft intended here.)

Half an hour’s meditation each day is essential–except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed.

St. Francis de Sales

omnia ad maiorem Dei gloriam
all for greater glory of God
-St. Ignatius of Loyola
(might be known without omnia/all to most people, but I think that if we follow this quote we can never sin)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.