Share your "healthy" hamburger patty recipes please!

**Hubby came home with about 5lbs of ground beef he got on sale and I’d like to make some patties. I have never made them from scratch before…I used to use a powdered mix called “hamburger lift” but don’t want to use it anymore because of all the fillers etc in it.

So what is a simple way to make tasty patties? I have heard of using things like eggs and breadcrumbs…what do YOU do?

I don’t need this recipe to be organic because the meat isn’t, but if you have some all natural organic recipes please share those too so I can use them in the future!

Food TV is a great source for burger recipes - (I’m on dial up or I’d post some of them for you). Rachel Ray does a great fajita burger, Paula Deen and Alton Brown have some recipes we have used.

A really easy recipe is to mix up the beef as you would for meatloaf and make into patties - mmmmmmm burgers.

Easy is an egg, either breadcrumbs or oats, some tomato paste, a bit of balsamic vinegar, , salt and pepper

I mix one package of Lipton onion soup mix with 1 lb of ground meat. YUM.

But, if that’s not “healthy” enough for you, then here are some other things I do:

Chop some white onion very fine and mix it with your ground meat. I also occasionally mix some minced garlic into my burgers for flavor instead of chopped onion. Another way to flavor them is with Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce, just mix the meat with your fingers, pour in some worcestershire and then form into patties.

I have heard of egg & breadcrumbs but I’ve never done that.

Well, I have 1 lb of ground meat in the fridge that I need to cook and was teetering between some patties and some taco meat… now I think I’ll do some Lipton burgers and DH can have them for lunch tomorrow.

There are delicious recipes for Swedish meatballs on allrecipes.com

I like Lipton Onion Soup mix or Lea and Perrins also. There is a spice from McCormick called Grill Mates Hamburger seasoning. I like that too.

For every pound of hamburger you could try this:

2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Hamburger Seasoning
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

or just use the seasoning by itself.

I am not sure this is all that healthy, but it’s good. :smiley:

Ohh, yes - make some of that meat into meatballs. You can bake them (use a rack so the fat drops down). Then freeze the meatballs and they are great for last minute sketty dinners, for meatball sandwiches, yummmmmm.

Oh…I guess I’m boring. I just shape them into patties. The kids like it plain. For DH and myself I rub with a bit of olive oil and “Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends” for steak. It’s basically dried herbs and spices. I do this right before cooking.

A little Tony’s Chacheries or McCormick steak seasoning and there you go. If you want a healty patty buy the leanest ground beef or even go with ground turkey. Oh my I’m giving recipie advice?:eek: BTW Like someone said below, foodtv is an excellent source.

DH likes to mix in (per lb.) one egg, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a clove’s worth of minced garlic, and maybe a half cup of a flavorful shredded cheese (like extra-sharp cheddar or Asiago). Sometimes instead of mixing in the cheese, he forms thin patties and sticks two of them together with cheese in the middle for inside-out cheeseburgers.

My parents just shape theirs into patties and sprinkle them with salt and pepper just before grilling and those are good too.

egg
oatmeal
meat
onion

=

awesome

Oh yeah, forgot the oatmeal. DH uses that sometimes and it is good.

Our favorite! And you can cook thoroughly to well done, without worrying about it being dry. :smiley: I have used 85 and 90 percent lean meat, too. This serves 4. oooooo it smells soooooo good. I imagine you could replace the steak sauce with Worcestershire sauce, and it would still be good, but not AS good! :wink:

1 large slice high-quality white sandwich bread , crust removed and discarded, bread chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons whole milk
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium clove garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons steak sauce , such as A-1
1 1/2 pounds 80 percent lean ground chuck

Mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until homogeneous (you should have about 1/4 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass. Divide meat into 4 equal portions. Gently flatten each portion into 3/4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty.

I don’t take this trouble anymore but my mom who had a bigger family would take 5 lbs of ground beef from the store, and put it through a meat grinder again with two big onions cut in 8ths, then mix (including the onion, juice and meat) with oats, 2-3 eggs (or powdered egg which we used to get from the government, and powdered milk ditto) or milk, or water if powdered milk was used. can’t recall the proportions but I am guessing 1 lb of additives to 5 lbs of meat. sometimes she would add a pound or so of bulk ground sausage to the mix. the burgers and meatballs from this mix were always delicious, grilled well, and did not lose as much fat as cooking the burger alone, so I suppose we were ingesting more fat but it was delicious. oh, she also added worcestershire sauce.

our family always liked blue cheese on grilled burgers.

**So question for those of you who just shape them into patties and grill…do they ever fall apart??? I have never done that and was under the impression that eggs or breadcrumbs (or oats, thanks!) would “bind” it all together… **

So question for those of you who just shape them into patties and grill…do they ever fall apart

we like them plain, too and I learned this wonderful trick from a TV chef (but don’t know his name.) we don’t eat meat but once a week, but when we do, these burgers are a common request:

hamburger meat
add enough water to make it wet-- still holding together , but wet
SUPER hot perforated griddle (like a george forman, but stove or grill-top style)

shape the very wet patties, place on HOT griddle. sear on first side, gently flip, then turn griddle down to low. Do NOT press the juice out of them. let them cook through.

amazing burgers. tooooo easy.

TV chef explained the water kept the meat from drying out before it was cooked through. he was so right. now we get medium cooked burgers that are still really juicy and moist. he also said NO salt until you serve them. it dries out the meat. right there, too.

five pounds of hamburger meat would be like manna from heaven around here!

I mix a pound of ground beef with the following:

1 diced shallot
3 cloves of garlic, diced
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Ground Cummin
Soy Sauce

Mix it all up and enjoy.

Hi Malia,

Dad worked as a butcher, and he used take the ground meat in his palm, and you sort of compress it into a ball, and then flatten it out. He also had a tube similar to large play doh press, to form the patties. I never had any problem with them falling apart, just make sure it is nice and compact. I sometimes buy the fresh patties, and the only ingredient is beef, so I guess the butcher has a similar mechanism.

Also, I suggest making the patties soon, wrapping and freezing asap. Ground beef can go bad pretty quickly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.