Sharia law, courts likely on 2010 ballot

edmondsun.com/local/x1996914371/Sharia-law-courts-likely-on-2010-ballot

State Question 755, which likely will be on the ballot in November, would make in-state courts rely on federal and state laws when deciding cases and forbid courts from using international law or Sharia law when making rulings.

The proposal, which has an Edmond connection, would amend Article 7, Section 1 of the Oklahoma Constitution, and stems from House Joint Resolution 1056, dubbed the “Save Our State” amendment, passed during the just-finished legislative session.

State Rep. Lewis Moore, R-Edmond, a co-author of HJR 1056, said he wanted to express his support very early for the legislation, which is needed because of the “onslaught” coming Oklahoma’s way.

“I don’t think we should accept or encourage Sharia law in any way, shape or form,” Moore said.

State Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, primary author of HJR 1056, said Oklahoma is the first state to pass such legislation and he hopes other states will follow.

Duncan, an attorney who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, said the amendment is needed because judges in other states and on the federal bench have increasingly cited international law in their decisions. He said he feels that action is inappropriate in a sovereign state.

Thank you Oklahoma...this should be a national thing.

What exactly does the Shariah Law consist of?

[quote="Lexagmor, post:2, topic:201313"]
What exactly does the Shariah Law consist of?

[/quote]

From MY understanding, which is very limited, its the 'law of Islam', like as if, we as catholics, had a panel of judges, that ruled based on our teachings. Problem being that some of those teachings really conflict with our standard, civil laws..Mueslims can cite Shariah Law or try to have their cases heard by a Shariah Court in some countries, and it usurps the countries laws..Apparently some have or have tried to do it here, and OK, and Louisiana too I believe, are stopping it before it gets out of hand.

Charlotte thanks for posting this. I was not aware of this. I will definitely pass this on. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yeah i definitely need to be up to date with politics, especially when it comes to voting. I never know when any of this stuff is going on unless it's the presidential elections, never local stuff.

The Premier of Ontario tried to introduce this concept into Canadian ,or rather Ontarian Law,that is until the Muslim women in this province figuratively handed him his head.They came to Canada to escape Medieval "justice".Please don't go down that hole.if certain Muslims wish to practise that law tell them they're welcome to do so where they came from.

love it. we need to pass laws like this while we are still in the majority. i may move to okla.

In related news, I notice that this is the year for state legislative elections in Oklahoma.:rolleyes:

[quote="Digitonomy, post:8, topic:201313"]
In related news, I notice that this is the year for state legislative elections in Oklahoma.:rolleyes:

[/quote]

I dont get it digi? :shrug: Don't be mean..just say it. What?

[quote="Charlotte408, post:9, topic:201313"]
I dont get it digi? :shrug: Don't be mean..just say it. What?

[/quote]

Sharia law is not by a long stretch a pressing issue in Oklahoma. Does anyone really think Sharia is going to make its first inroads in this country in the Sooner State?

The ballot issue is diversionary fearmongering to avoid the real issues candidates should be facing, and boost turnout of these candidates' paranoid base of voters. If this were not an election year, they wouldn't have wasted their time.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:10, topic:201313"]
Sharia law is not by a long stretch a pressing issue in Oklahoma. Does anyone really think Sharia is going to make its first inroads in this country in the Sooner State?

The ballot issue is diversionary fearmongering to avoid the real issues candidates should be facing, and boost turnout of these candidates' paranoid base of voters. If this were not an election year, they wouldn't have wasted their time.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but you are full of it.

Texas has already had to deal with this.

We pass laws based on common sense around here.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:10, topic:201313"]

[/quote]

You haven't paid to much attention to what's going on have you? Oklahoma is simply trying to head off trouble. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's called being prepared. I can guarantee you there are a lot of folks out here who will vote for this, Democrats and Republicans alike.

That's what they're counting on.

That's what they're counting on.

We need to be prepared and protect ourselves in every way.

Next year they will ban Martian law and forbid leprechans from deciding legal conflicts. This is more garbage protection against imaginary fears. Don't Oklahoma legislators have any real issues that need addressing, or is Oklahoma out of real problems so that now they are only addressing imaginary ones?

[quote="TMC, post:16, topic:201313"]
Next year they will ban Martian law and forbid leprechans from deciding legal conflicts. This is more garbage protection against imaginary fears. Don't Oklahoma legislators have any real issues that need addressing, or is Oklahoma out of real problems so that now they are only addressing imaginary ones?

[/quote]

Are you really that ignorant as to what's going on in the judicial system?

This is to prevent OK courts from using international law in OK cases. It's already happened here in the US. It also prevents and Islamic court from being formed in OK, which has also already happened in the US.

The UK has the problem already, their government has set up more than one court just for Sharia law.

Maybe you should wake up from you're dream world of martians and leprechauns and pay attention to what's going on in the world.

Arent they trying to take that AZ law into an international court??? There's an instance of it right there...If they can reach for international, do you honestly think that at some point, as the mueslim movement grows, they wont reach for Sharia? Based on freedom of religion??

Its already happened in the UK:

timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4749183.ece

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

[quote="Charlotte408, post:18, topic:201313"]
Arent they trying to take that AZ law into an international court??? There's an instance of it right there...If they can reach for international, do you honestly think that at some point, as the mueslim movement grows, they wont reach for Sharia? Based on freedom of religion??

[/quote]

I've even heard that some Catholics are settling disputes in their own separate courts of canon law! :eek:

[quote="Digitonomy, post:19, topic:201313"]
I've even heard that some Catholics are settling disputes in their own separate courts of canon law! :eek:

[/quote]

Well, this discussion is pointless if you can not understand Okie's wanting to protect themselves from court's citing foreign law in a case.

Maybe you should compare sharia law to canon law while you're at it.

Here, I'll help.

israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/9273

Shari’a, that is Muslim law, controls the private as well as the public life of the woman.

In the Western World (including America ) Muslim men are starting to demand Shari’a Law under which wives can not obtain a divorce and men have full and complete control of their children. It is amazing and alarming how many
Many of our sisters and daughters..in the Western world are now marrying Muslim men and submitting themselves... unsuspectingly to Shari'a law.
of our sisters and daughters attending American Universities and other parts of the Western world are now marrying Muslim men and submitting themselves and their children unsuspectingly to the Shari'a law.

By publicizing the information below, I hope to help enlightened American and other women avoid becoming slaves under Shari’a Law:
1. In the Muslim faith, a Muslim man can marry a child as young as 1 year old, consummating the marriage by 9.
2. A dowry is given to the family in exchange for the woman who becomes a slave.
3. Even though a woman is abused she cannot obtain a divorce.
4. To prove rape, a woman must have four male witnesses.
5. Often after a woman has been raped, she is returned to her family and the family must return the dowry. The family has the right to execute her (an honor killing) to restore the honor of the family.
6. Husbands can beat their wives 'at will' and do not have to say why the beating occurred.
7. A husband is permitted to have 4 wives and a temporary wife for a limited period at his discretion.

The goal of radical Islamists is to impose Shari’a law on the world, ripping Western law and liberty in two. If that happens, Western civilization will be destroyed. Westerners generally assume all religions encourage a respect for the dignity of each individual. Islamic law (Shari’a) teaches that non-Muslims should be subjugated or killed in this world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.