Shedding links to Babylon, uniting on Morality

Dispensationalists for years have used the notion that the Catholic Church is the “whore of Babylon”….many still toss that around…this notion has been severely wounded and sounds the weakness of the dispensational view…

Today while listening to John Hagee…among others….I heard Hagee refer to a letter from a Catholic Bishop concerning uniting to oppose Obama care and forcing the use of Birth Control on medical care and other issues such as abortion…during the sermon I heard him say…”we need to unite with our Catholic Brothers and Sisters”…and my jaw dropped…I went searching. I searched the CAF and found nothing about this and in particular the following…

msnbc.msn.com/id/24599419/ns/us_news-faith/t/pastor-catholics-great-whore-no-more/

Hagee has often made references to “the apostate church” and the “great whore,” terms that Catholics say are slurs aimed at the Roman Catholic Church. In his letter, Hagee said he now better understood that the Book of Revelation’s reference to the Catholic Church as “the apostate church” and the “great whore” are “a rhetorical device long employed in anti-Catholic literature and commentary.”

He stressed that in his use, “neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church.”

A discussion of the apology is discussed here…

youtube.com/watch?v=91TfmnKl3hQ&feature=related

The letter can be read here…

msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/080513_Hagee_Letter.pdf

“I hope you recognize that I have repeatedly stated that my interpretation of Revelation leads me to conclude that the “apostate church” and the “great whore” appear only during the seven years of tribulation after all **true believers- Catholic and Protestant **– have been taken up to heaven. Therefore, neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church.”

The Chruch says that all baptized in the Trinitarian forumla are truly Christian and truly believers…and in one fell swoop Hagee has joined in unity…dispelling the notion that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon…and now preaches about unity on what?..

Morality…something that the Church teachings have been consistent and unchanging…don’t that get all…

What sayest thou…?

[quote="CopticChristian, post:1, topic:304129"]
Dispensationalists for years have used the notion that the Catholic Church is the “whore of Babylon”….many still toss that around…this notion has been severely wounded and sounds the weakness of the dispensational view..

Today while listening to John Hagee…among others….I heard Hagee refer to a letter from a Catholic Bishop concerning uniting to oppose Obama care and forcing the use of Birth Control on medical care and other issues such as abortion…during the sermon I heard him say…”we need to unite with our Catholic Brothers and Sisters”…and my jaw dropped…I went searching. I searched the CAF and found nothing about this and in particular the following…

msnbc.msn.com/id/24599419/ns/us_news-faith/t/pastor-catholics-great-whore-no-more/

A discussion of the apology is discussed here..

The letter can be read here...

The Chruch says that all baptized in the Trinitarian forumla are truly Christian and truly believers...and in one fell swoop Hagee has joined in unity...dispelling the notion that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon...and now preaches about unity on what?...

Morality...something that the Church teachings have been consistent and unchanging...don't that get all...

What sayest thou...?

[/quote]

That is real progress. Thanks for the uplift. :thumbsup:

[quote="CopticChristian, post:1, topic:304129"]
Dispensationalists for years have used the notion that the Catholic Church is the “whore of Babylon”….many still toss that around…this notion has been severely wounded and sounds the weakness of the dispensational view..

A discussion of the apology is discussed here..

The letter can be read here...

The Chruch says that all baptized in the Trinitarian forumla are truly Christian and truly believers...and in one fell swoop Hagee has joined in unity...dispelling the notion that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon...and now preaches about unity on what?...

Morality...something that the Church teachings have been consistent and unchanging...don't that get all...

What sayest thou...?

[/quote]

That God is always 1 step ahead of all?
:D

[quote="JerryZ, post:3, topic:304129"]
That God is always 1 step ahead of all?
:D

[/quote]

Jerry,

Sure takes a long time to step back and see the wonders of the work of God...does it not...some miracles take place in an instant and others take 500 years of more...:)

Chuck Colson and Fr. Richard John Neuhaus get a lot of the credit for this. Their work in the 90’s and early 2000’s helped evangelicals realize how much we really hold in common rather than the historical exaggeration of differences that had been past practice. The real differences are still there and still a big problem, but a lot of progress has been made debunking the imagined boogeymen conjured by demonization of each side by the other. Catholics aren’t spotless either, for example a book called “The Facts About Luther” by a catholic priest about a 100 years ago is about as polemic against protestantism as Hagee has ever been about us.

Besides, we both have enough incoming fire from the bad guys to occupy us for a long time. Best not to have shooting within our own trenches, eh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.