Shocking study finds most will torture if ordered

uk.reuters.com/article/burningIssues/idUKTRE4BI0VQ20081219?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Scientists have recreated the notorious Milgram Experiment from 1961, designed to try to understand the Holocaust, in which a Yale professor claimed to prove that evil lurked within all of us.

People will blindly follow the orders of their superiors even if they are morally questionable, a study has found

In the experiment volunteers were asked to act as teachers, and each was matched up with an unseen pupil, who was given a word sequence to memorise and repeat.

If the pupil got it wrong, the teacher was instructed to administer an electric shock. As the experiment continued the shocks became more severe.

Encouraged by an authority figure the teachers continued administering shocks up to a 150 volt cut off point even though the pupils begged for them to stop and screamed out.

telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3833364/People-blindly-follow-morally-questionable-orders-from-superiors-study-finds.html

Well this is just ridiculous. People need to learn to think for themselves and follow their own moral values and conscience. Hopefully their consciences are well informed.

Well, I guess I’m not one of the “most” then. But then again, I’m not a part of the military or any law enforcement agency either. Even if I was though, I would refuse to torture someone even if ordered to. And I wouldn’t care if that would result in my imprisonment or a loss of job either. Torture is wrong! Here is what the Catechism has to say about torture:

[quote=Catechism of the Catholic Church]**2297 ***Kidnapping *and hostage taking bring on a reign of terror; by means of threats they subject their victims to intolerable pressures. They are morally wrong. *Terrorism *threatens, wounds, and kills indiscriminately; it is gravely against justice and charity. *Torture *which uses physical or moral violence to extract confessions, punish the guilty, frighten opponents, or satisfy hatred is contrary to respect for the person and for human dignity. Except when performed for strictly therapeutic medical reasons, directly intended amputations, mutilations, and *sterilizations *performed on innocent persons are against the moral law.
[/quote]

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm#2297

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.