Shooter 'Defending Home' is Now Defensive

I’m almost 62 years old, 4’11" tall and weigh around 115 lbs. What chance would I have against someone wanting to do me physical harm with my little “mouse”? If my grand children were with me how effective would I be at protecting them with out my “mouse”? People that say no guns no way just don’t live in my world with my realities.

Police (state only) 30 min away for an emergency. Isolated home yet within 40 miles of a high crime city area. (they come out here to party and some of us have had our dogs shot by them when we turn loose the dogs) Ever wonder why those of us in the country have multiple BIG dogs that are loose at night, now you know.

Check out this site, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Also, this podcast interview with two members of the group’s VA Tech chapter who were detained by campus security basically for presenting the group’s viewpoint.

Great idea! Let’s ban hurricanes, too.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: How about flood and tornadoes and blizzards?:smiley:

By thinking with this logic we need to ban all cars that will stop all those drive byes.

Wait I have a better idea ban all anti-gun liberals because they’re not logical.

And abortions !!!:extrahappy::extrahappy:

Are the States really that violent and lawless that you all need guns to defend yourselves? Thank goodness I live in England…I don’t know anyone who owns a gun or would even contemplate wanting to own one. Didn’t I read somewhere that most guns in the States end up being used against family members in anger?

That is because you are not allowed to own a gun. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t you only allowed to own a gun in England if you are a member of a shooting team. And then only a certain type of gun?

Are you a man? Are you married? If someone attempts to rape your wife, what should she do? My husband knows that I have a gun and can defend myself.

That is not the issue, really. People needing a gun for home defense does not necessarily mean that the country is violent and lawless.

At least one poster has pointed out that guns are necessitated by the rural nature of some of the United States. Someone from Europe who has not been to the US may well not understand what it is like to live in somewhere like, say, Kansas where the population is sparse and the police coverage is stretched.

I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. When I drive through Eastern Colorado or Western Kansas, even I am astounded by the isolation of those places. And I can see in such places exactly why you would want to have a serious means of self-defense.

Thank goodness I live in England…I don’t know anyone who owns a gun or would even contemplate wanting to own one. Didn’t I read somewhere that most guns in the States end up being used against family members in anger?

No, that is not true. If you think about it, that is kind of an absurd idea.

My girlfriend knows how to use a gun and I am happy that she does, precisely because of this.

There are law enforcement officers in the United States that moved here from England because they are allowed to carry a firearm here. I have heard them say that the U.K. is just as dangerous as the States.

If you look at history citizens of the United Kingdom used to carry firearms. Just read Sherlock Holmes? Dr. Watson always carried a gun that used to be normal in England.

But they also ban books and music too.

It is estimated that over two million American citizens defend themselves with firearms every year without a shot being fired you just don’t read about it because it doesn’t make news.

The reason I carry a gun is because carrying a cop is too heavy.

I’m pleased those policeman have left the UK. We dont want policeman like that in this country. Is the UK a dangerous place to live in? We all seem to get by without carrying a gun!!!
By the way, Sherlock Holmes is a FICTIONAL character…lol

I thought it was the States than ban music and books…didnt a lot of the States ban the Beatles?

Finally, guns are not banned in the UK. We just make damn sure that anyone who owns one does so for a valid reason and that they are NOT psychologically impaired. Self Defence is not a VALID reason. Why would a practising Christian want to own a gun???

This point is something you need to prove. So far, there has not been a sufficient case for that position.

Why would a practising Christian want to own a gun???

They might want to defend themselves or others. Certainly, I would support any Christian woman owning a gun to defend herself.

Since you are Catholic, it is worth noting that the Church has NEVER condemned personal ownership of firearms.

LOL why would a 6 foot 2 inch tall man walk towards you with a knife…c’mon woman get real…you’ve probably got a better chance of winning the State Lottery LOL

There are a great many cases of men, armed or unarmed, assaulting women.

You make a big deal about being from the UK. Certainly, you are aware of Jack the Ripper?

In the UK it is proven…you’d be laughed at if you applied for a firearm using that as a reason…in fact you’d most probably be recommended for psychological assessment!

I can only think the States must be a terrifyingly lawless place.

Sorry, I’m still laughing at the last sentence of yours lol

Jack the Ripper!!!..that was over 150 years ago!!!1 So we should all carry guns because of a madman who was around 150 years ago LOL

That is not proof. That is a societal trend. By that “proof”, one could justify many evils that have been legally allowed or enforced throughout history.

I can only think the States must be a terrifyingly lawless place.

It is not, however. That means that there is an additional hole in your argument.

Sorry, I’m still laughing at the last sentence of yours lol

So…you do not care what the Church does or does not teach?

Perhaps you should invest time in reading comprehension? The obvious point of what I am saying is that, throughout history, there have been cases of women being victimized by men - including men with knives.

So…in the UK do they teach people not to respect each other? You are not being respectful to the other posters here.

No kidding Sherlock Holmes is fictional?:eek::rolleyes: The times were not, that’s what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about in 1887 in was normal for British citizens to carry firearms.

No sir! The Untied States does not ban books or music we have the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

We have books and music here that are banned by the UK government and cannot be sold in the United Kingdom.

About the Beatles local radio stations banned their music but not the United States government.

BTW: The Apostles carried weapons it was a short sword and Jesus didn’t have a problem with them carrying?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.