Shopping at LDS run stores?

I was wondering if there are any moral problems with shopping at LDS ran stores? I have bought kids bible books the LDS bookstore (I checked to make sure the teaching was correct), and I also am currently reworking my wardrobe to be more modest. I have found there is no better pricing and selection than at the LDS ran thrift store, I’ve been able to quadruple the modest clothing in my closet for an extremely small amount of money. But I was wondering if there is any reason why I should not shop there as I suppose it supports their ministry. I don’t know enough about mormonism to understand if this is a problem. There are no other similar book or thrift stores here, only much smaller ones with limited selection and higher prices.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Better to shop at a store run by members of LDSs than by Atheists. No, not a sin at all.

LOVE! :heart:

Thanks for the reply, but let me clarify that the stores are not run by members of the LDS church, but by the LDS church itself.

Still,no sin. You may be interested to know that my church was invited to attend services at a Jewish Synagogue, where we accepted and actively participated. Not a sin.

LOVE! :heart:

Well, since it obviously isn’t your intention to secretly help out a non-Catholic religion in spite of our Church, I really don’t see a problem here or any obligation on your part to go someplace more expensive that you don’t even know much about who runs it…

If there’s a comparable Catholic business, I would consider going there just keep money in the family and to be ever so perfect .:cool:

But this really can make a person scrupulous and crazy.

If it helps, a priest once told me he didn’t like buying his medicine at a certain place because they sold contraception, but basically said that’s life and I don’t have that much of a choice.

So like a lot of questions here on CAF, it comes down to obligations; and I don’t see any obligation on your part to avoid going there. :thumbsup:

CCC 1756 It is therefore an error to judge the morality of human acts by considering only the intention that inspires them or the circumstances (environment, social pressure, duress or emergency, etc.) which supply their context. There are acts which, in and of themselves, independently of circumstances and intentions, are always gravely illicit by reason of their object; such as blasphemy and perjury, murder and adultery. One may not do evil so that good may result from it.

There is no Church rule against shopping at LDS owned businesses, of which there are many. Generally speaking, we should buy religious books from Catholic sources.

Thanks all in testing points so far. jM3, I’m not quite seeing the relationship to the quote from my original post and the CCC you reference. Can you explain?

It doesn’t sound sinful, though I generally try to patronize Catholic bookstores where possible.

Honour, curious I am as to what bible did you purchase?

PnP

I would agree with what has been said, only buy religious books from a Catholic Book shop, and especially the Bible as they leave so much out , clothes would be fine, the tricky bit will be if they start talking to you about Religion you will have to say " I am Catholic" or we don’t sing from the same page of the Hymn sheet , as they believe the Father is God, Jesus is God, Holy Spirit is God, and God the father had sex with Mary and Had Jesus, so we have nothing in common with them doctrine wise as this is Blasphemous.

PnP I didn’t buy a bible, just bible story book for the kids. Noah’s Ark and a Bible story book with a CD with songs and stories on it. I don’t normally shop at the bookstore. I occasionally buy at our local Catholic bookstore or the one in our church, but they are both tiny. So most of the kids books come from Amazon using the link that earns our parish money. The store I frequent is the thrift store for the clothes.

Is it moral to support an anti-catholic ministry?

Ahem, Paul, did you happen to glance at the post directly preceeding your own before you made such a brash and conclusive statement? Looks to me as though there IS, indeed, a rule that applies directly to her dillema. Dontcha think?

Daniel

I’ll be sure to seek your counsel when I have a moral dillema of my own. No sin in giving money to the LDS church, and not even any rules at all against ecumenical services with an organization that denies the deity of Jesus? Good deal!

I don’t think it’s immoral to do so, but keep in mind that Mormons are not Christians-- they deny that Jesus was Christ. Their church does a lot of things (and teaches some things) that I very strongly disagree with, so I would personally never patronize a store run by LDS. But that is simply how I would choose to spend my money. You are free to choose how to spend yours.

LDS Christians DO NOT believe this. We only believe what authoritatively, divinely revealed:
Luke 1:35: “And the angel answered and said unto her (Mary), The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”…

and…

Matthew 1:20: “20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.”

**Nick: **There’s some speculation about Mary’s divine conception but NO actual, divine revelation (nor, IMHO, should there be), so sacred topics such as this remain in the realm of speculation that most LDS Christians, out of love and respect for God, do not enter.

Cheers,
~Nick

:popcorn::popcorn:

When I was LDS, I was taught that Heavenly Father had sex with Mary to conceive Jesus in early morning seminary and at a BYU religion class in the 1990’s. Both teachers were ultimately paid by the LDS church. This repugnant belief was taught by LDS prophets and apostles until the 80’s and continued to be taught be taught in the 90’s. The LDS church has run from this teaching. Most LDS under the age of 30 probably have no idea this was ever taught.

As with many other inconvenient teachings of past LDS prophets, this teaching is swept under the rug. At the time, it was considered to be divine revelation. Now it is the opinion or speculation of a man. If I wasn’t on my phone, I could provide all kinds of quotes about the ugly teachings of how Jesus was conceived.

To the OP, I would hesitate shopping at stores that are owned by the LDS church. The LDS church is very secretive about its finances, including the finances of church-owned businesses. We have no way of knowing where the profits of these businesses go. I question whether much of the profits even goes towards helping the poor. Because of the lack of transparency, we just don’t know.

It would be less problematic for me to shop at a business that happened to be owned by a member of the LDS church. Honour, do you live in a heavily LDS area?

LDS Christians??? Oxymoron. Or is there a subset of LDS members that actually call themselves that? Never heard that during my 30 years as a member and never had a problem being identified as a non-Christian since I knew we had such stark differences in beliefs. In any case, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Joseph F. Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith, and Bruce R. McConkie would disagree with your statement regarding Mary.

As for the original question. I don’t think you should be too concerned about supporting the LDS ministry by shopping at LDS-run stores. Very little goes towards the actual ministry these days; the LDS church is more concerned with real estate, shopping malls, high rise apartments, and business ventures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.