Shopping at Midnight after Thanksgiving

I have a real problem with this. I don't know how these people can enjoy their Thanksgiving when they have to be at work by 11PM on Thursday to welcome midnight shoppers.

All this shopping is in anticipation of getting a bargain for Christmas. This is just extending the materialistic aspect of the Christmas Holiday into the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Shopping on Black Friday from 9AM to whatever is one thing, but why support midnight shopping to disrupt another's time with family?

*I wholeheartedly agree. It makes me so sad to hear what retailers, Walmart, etc are doing to their employees this year. It seems to get earlier and earlier…pretty soon, the malls will be open all day on Thanksgiving! :mad: *

I asked a retailer at our Mall. She said they have to comply otherwise they’d be fined by the Mall management.

A relative was working in a shop and told them she couldn’t do it. It is an eight hr. drive roundtrip for Thanksgiving. Usually, they stay the weekend but she had to go in for Black Friday. They needed the extra staff.

Unreal. The only thing I wonder is after the man died from being trampled upon at one of the nation’s Walmarts last year (remember that?) is if they think that opening a lot earlier will slow the crowds down? I dunno. To me? It’s so wrong to do this to people on their holidays with family. :frowning: Makes me very sad.

I love a good bargain too. But I shop all year so there is no need for me to go out on Black Friday. And there is NO way I'm supporting midnight shopping on Thanksgiving night. Guess that is the only way to do it: don't go.

I agree. I try not to shop at times when I think it’s too bad people are working.

How can opening at midnight on the day after Thanksgiving even be beneficial to the retailer? I understand that on Black Friday they are trying to get people in their store (right? isn’t that why?) but if someone is shopping at midnight, are they really going to grab their $2 Furby and then browse??? Aren’t they going to go home to bed?

[quote="HouseArrest, post:6, topic:177513"]
I agree. I try not to shop at times when I think it's too bad people are working.

How can opening at midnight on the day after Thanksgiving even be beneficial to the retailer? I understand that on Black Friday they are trying to get people in their store (right? isn't that why?) but if someone is shopping at midnight, are they really going to grab their $2 Furby and then browse???? Aren't they going to go home to bed?

[/quote]

Sadly - they don't care. As long as THEY are the store to empty your wallet FIRST. Then you don't have the cash to spend elsewhere.

It's all about getting the first opportunity to get your money.

I don't shop during this time of year - it's too insane and just not worth it.

.....now shopping online is a totally different deal. I will do that - most of the folks who fulfill those orders are not in the US anyway and this is not a holiday for them. ;)

~Liza

An article in the Washington Post said that this year, Walmart will be open 24 hours so that when sales begin, there won’t be a mad push into the store like last year:

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/24/AR2009112403523.html?hpid=artslot

I do feel bad for the sales people who don’t want to work so late, but perhaps some of them will get holiday pay. I used to work at Blockbuster a long time ago, and they gave double pay on some holidays. I kind of doubt Walmart will do this though. They are notoriously cheap. I know a lot of stores also hire temps for the Christmas rush. So at least, the holiday season helps some of the unfortunate unemployed people.

On the negative side, the “Christmas creep” is getting worse and worse. This year, Walmart had the Christmas trees and decorations on display next to the Halloween costumes and decorations! :rolleyes: It looked so bizarre.

Last year, the line for Coach was out the door and two stores down at midnight. I envision women throwing the dishes in the sink and running out the door. Thinking about the bargains you’re going to hunt down during the day kinda ruins the peace of the day…no?

Two words: online shopping. ;)

I have simply given up, with exceedingly rare exception, actually going to a store to shop, and I would NEVER head to the mall, store, wherever, the day after Thanksgiving - insanity!!! For the few small gifts I get for girlfriends locally, I just wait until mid-December and go mid-day.

Hmmm…for a Coach sale, I could get up early. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="novaslasher, post:8, topic:177513"]
An article in the Washington Post said that this year, Walmart will be open 24 hours so that when sales begin, there won't be a mad push into the store like last year:

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/24/AR2009112403523.html?hpid=artslot

I do feel bad for the sales people who don't want to work so late, but perhaps some of them will get holiday pay. I used to work at Blockbuster a long time ago, and they gave double pay on some holidays. I kind of doubt Walmart will do this though. They are notoriously cheap. I know a lot of stores also hire temps for the Christmas rush. So at least, the holiday season helps some of the unfortunate unemployed people.

On the negative side, the "Christmas creep" is getting worse and worse. This year, Walmart had the Christmas trees and decorations on display next to the Halloween costumes and decorations! :rolleyes: It looked so bizarre.

[/quote]

That **is* bizarre. :(*

Never have, never will. I don’t get it either. All the fighting and crime, waiting outside for hours without food or drink in the freezing cold. Going without a night of sleep, missing precious time with family. My parents always taught us to AVOID the stores on that day. They seem pretty wise to me. :wink:

*What has happened to America, ya know? I grew up in a little town in NJ, where everything…grocers, everything…were closed on SUNDAYS! Now, everything stays open 24/7…and we’re not letting people have a full holiday? It is a crying shame! :frowning: *

It is sad. Not to mention how many stores are open on Christmas and Easter! Of all days, you’d think those would be the top two to be closed on. :frowning:

Got a flyer for Rite-aid in the mail yesterday saying that they will be open all day Thanksgiving for people to shop!:mad:

There is a little apple orchard about 15 mins. from here. They have a beautiful little country store. My friend and I go every year for our black Friday shopping. There are a lot of people, but it's different. You sip hot apple cider and nibble on cookies while looking at homemade crafts and Christmas decorations. It's so nice. No pushing or people being rude. It's such a wonderful little shop! We have lots of fun and then go home!

I went to Wal-mart once on Black Friday! never again! When we were first married I worked at an outlet mall! Once you've worked it you don't ever want to shop it! It's terrible. My husbands Aunts and Cousins love to get up and go shopping. No thank you! Not my idea of a good time!

[quote="whatevergirl, post:11, topic:177513"]
Hmmm...for a Coach sale, I could get up early. lol :p

[/quote]

Ah, the road to hell is paved with 75% off signs. I know. Got a drawer full of "gifts" which I forget I've bought and go buy more. :crying::tsktsk::ouch:

*:rotfl: Really? haha

In all seriousness, I think it is truly disgraceful that these stores are open at the stroke of midnight…so they can’t say they weren’t open ON Thanksgiving.:rolleyes: I just think the top people in these companies are motivated by greed…what else could it be about? I suppose people might say, well, if there weren’t shoppers, then there wouldn’t be a need. I’m sure there will be shoppers there, but that doesn’t mean you open the store at midnight. I don’t really blame the shoppers…I blame the actual stores, because they control when they open.*

All the Walmart’s in our area are 24hr SuperCenters.
So they just pull in more workers, not a full shift.

Most people around here are glad of it, b/c it means
extra money, and we all need that this year.

I, however, will NOT be among those shopping Fri.
I can’t stand the crowds and aggression that go along
with it. I’m with those who shop online, and through
the year, not in one big, last minute burst.

All my Wal-Marts are 24 hr stores as well, except for Thanksgiving Day and Chrismas, they close at 6 p.m. Thanksgiving and open again at Mid-night (the usual late night crew I am sure so they are used to the hours). The grocery stores around here are open until about 6 p.m. as well but they open again at their regular hours.

I have gone out on Black Friday but only once for the “sales” it was not fun, I went basically to two stores, Kohl’s and JoAnnes. There were basically two lines at Kohl’s and heaven forbid you have to cross through one to get to the merchandise! I got more mean looks and comments than I care to count, then we took turns standing in one of the check-out lines. Spent an hour in the cut line at JoAnnes and all the cute fabric I was looking for was in the “return to shelf” bin, and the ladies were working their fingers to the bones! I will never do that again, no cute fabric is worth that!

Oh, I have gone and will go in later in the day, Wal-Mart was nice one year, just the usual Saturday type crowd and they were all polite, the same with Target.

Brenda V.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.