Shopping at Protestant Church Thrift Stores?

I am interested in collecting vintage Bold Look (late 1940’s-early 1950’s) neckties. These are occasionally found in thrift stores. However, in the town I live, the only thrift store is run by a Protestant Church. Is it OK to shop at a Protestant Church thrift store?

Of course it’s okay. :slight_smile: Protestants are our brothers and sisters in Christ who are imperfectly united to the Church through their baptism. If you shop at secular stores why would it be wrong to shop at a Protestant one? You won’t be receiving communion after all, you’re only shopping.

They aren’t going to make huge profits from the sale of a few articles of clothing in a thrift venue. If you were going to give a donation of $10,000 to their church, that would be another matter.

Thanks for the info. However, I just found out that the only thrift store in town is permanently closed. How stupid of me. :o

Never mind, they aren’t closed after all. Google maps is claimed it was permanently closed, but their Facebook page said otherwise.

There are trolls out there whose hobby is to mark stores and restaurants as “closed” on Google Maps. Always check with the webpage, always call on the phone.

So, do you think it’s only Catholic establishments that deserve to make a living?
How could this be sinful? Their profits go to the needy most likely.

I’m Catholic, but I’m not a Catholic snob…meaning, I feel Protestants are just as good as Catholics. It’s just that the Catholic Church is the One True Church, which we are taught, but there is nothing wrong at all with being Protestant, and even more so there is nothing wrong with associating with it.

Those thrift stores often help the less fortunate, I would say it is a virtue and positive duty to do so.

If shopping at a protestant store was wrong, I guess I was wrong to purchase a kids picture bible for my godson and a Catholic prayer book for myself at a protestant book store a couple years ago :slight_smile:

We should not divide especially when shopping at a thrift store. As previously said, these men and women are our brothers and sisters who love the Lord. Yes, we have differences but we are still sons and daughters of God. My church has a rummage sale in the Spring and the Fall. I would certainly assume that many Protestants shop and buy things at these rummage sales as many Catholics do as well and even those who do not believe. I would not ask any of them to stop shopping though. Maybe take the time to talk to those working in the shops and tell them about your faith. Perhaps a solid interfaith conversation can occur and that would be a good thing.

I’ve bought a Catholic Bible, some sacramentals, and a gaudy gilded plastic light-up St Peter’s Basilica at a Salvation Army thrift shop.

Melodeonist:

I know you are young, and desiring to convert. I believe that as you progress through RCIA next year, your eyes will be opened to the beauty of the faith.
It’s less about “doing things wrong” … than “doing things right.”
You can begin to read the Catechism online. I would suggest this is a good thing to do. Pick random topics that interest you or that you are curious about, read the catechism reference, and continue to read the Readings of the day (from Mass) on the USCCB.ORG website. There is an excellent book that we use in RCIA called “The Catholic Answer Bible”. Maybe you can borrow one from somewhere, as I know your parents are not thrilled about your decision to convert. It’s a study edition of the Bible, but it has lots of references, apologetics, maps, and accompanying info that help to clarify what we believe.
God bless you on the journey.
Shopping at Protestant stores is not a worry, nor is it on the radar screen.

I bought my first rosary at an Assemblies of God church jumble sale. The ladies taking the money looked at me rather funny, considering I was a member of the AoG at the time. Buying that rosary was one of my first steps towards becoming Catholic. Sometimes God works through such odd circumstances–any and all that draws us to Christ is good, yes? :slight_smile:

Amazing the AoG didn’t just throw the rosary out when they came across it in the donated items. Not as if they expected any Catholics to be browsing there.

For me it depends on the thrift store. There are multiple thrift stores in my city, one is a St Vincent De Paul’s and so I’ll shop there first. There’s another much larger thrift store in town run by various protestant churches. I refuse to shop at this larger store because when they receive donations of Catholic Bibles or Catholic sacramentals or anything else Catholic, they throw it in the garbage. There are a couple Salvation Army’s and I’ll shop at them, and I’ll shop at the secular thrift store too. But anything solidly Catholic is first on my list, and anything anti-Catholic doesn’t even make my list.

I understand where you are coming from, but would we do any different?

If I was running a Catholic store, I’m not sure that I’d be willing to sell books on protestant theology or even protestant bibles that had been donated. The former are teaching false and the latter is simply wrong.

I think to be anti-Catholic they would be needing to do something actively against the Church. For example selling anti-Catholic literature.

I was surprised to see it among all the other things on the table, as well. I can only surmise that God wanted me to have it–at that time and place in my life, so it was there. Maybe God will one day reveal all the hows and whys to us. :slight_smile:

So whats the matter if u shop aT Protestant shop?

Look:

• i’ve bought a Bible at secondhand shop, this shop is not even religious one
  • i bought Rosary at Dom Church (this was a Catholic Cathedral until reformation time arrived in the Netherlands)
  • today i bought an Orthodox icons which are imported from Greece, i bought them at…a shop that sells beds and bedroom’s equipments :smiley:

Today I went there and got some ties for a dollar each (not 1940s, but one is probably late 50s-60s, because it is short, at about 48’’. They were shorter back then, because pants waists were at the natural waist, which is just above the navel.) and a striped shirt. I also found out that the money goes to the Church they are affiliated with, along with some charities that the Church donates to. I am glad my purchase has helped some people, somewhere. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.