Short Explanation of Baptism

My twin sons John Damien and James Cosmas will be baptized this weekend.

As a keepsake for all friends and family who attend and catechetical tool for those who are fallen away, I just had the idea to make a bookmark that marks the event and explains baptism from a Catholic perspective.

I would like to make what I have written is correct.

Can anyone advise if the following is correct?

Also, please feel free to suggest better wording or anything else that I could improve.

I searched the CA resources on this topic to help me draft this.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

**"On this day, [date], [names] were baptized into the Lord, becoming a member of the body of Christ, the Church, adopted sons of God, infusing them with the Holy Spirit, confecting grace and cleansing them of all original sin at [parish].

Each time you use this bookmark please pray for John & James and for all the children in our lives…etc [remainder to be written]"**

Beautiful names.

I won’t comment on the text because I think anyone needing this basic info will either

1. be offended that you think they are so clueless
    or
  2. not notice or read it anyway.

The people that need to know and understand are the Godparents. You seem the sort of guy who took great pains to select people who are good practicing Catholics. :thumbsup:
Congratulations!

Congrats! :thumbsup: What a great idea!

It looks good. A few (minor) suggestions. If it were me, I would say “becoming members” to keep it consistently plural. In full, I would say “…becoming members of the Body of Christ—the Church—and adopted sons of God…” (I’m a big fan of using the em dash when I can, especially to reduce the number of commas in an otherwise long sentence). I would also probably choose “dispensing” over “confecting” as I think that word would be more familiar and understandable to most people. But that’s a personal preference. You might even go with “dispensing divine life” as that is a phrase the Catechism uses to describe the power of the sacraments.

Just some suggestions. Do with them what you will. :slight_smile:

And congrats on the twins and their Baptism! I’m a twin, so I always have a soft spot for other twins. :slight_smile:

I really like this idea and personally think it may be inspired by the Holy Spirit, because we never know how it might touch someone.

(I would also choose another word than ‘confecting’)

Agree. “Confecting” sounds like making candy.

Thank you for the kind words.

One of the Godparents is a priest, so I did try to pick really good ones. :slight_smile:

Outstanding suggestions! Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your input. It is appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.