Short story---can't remember title or author

Back in eighth grade I read a short story.

It was set in a society where everyone was “equal”. People of higher intelligence had devices implanted in their heads that would make loud sounds to interrupt thoughts. The main couple has a teenage son who rebels against the forced equality.

I’d be inteeresed in rereading it…but I cannot remember the title.

Does it ring a bell with anyone?

I know the one you’re talking about. It’s by Kurt Vonnegut, but I can’t think of the title. To Wikipedia!

“Harrison Bergeron”!!!

Crazy story. Had to read it for English class last year.

Thank you…but I’m not sure that’s the one.

For some reason I think the title has the word “General” somewhere in it. “The -------- ------------- General” it referred to the General who would enforce the equality.

Or maybe it was....I read the story in a reader. I wonder if the title was changed for the reader? I'll go find a copy to see if it's the one.

Thanls again.

WOW! I remember reading that in high school! It had a profound effect on me at the time.

I’ll havta re-read that one sometime soon.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:5, topic:193870"]
Thank you.....but I'm not sure that's the one.

For some reason I think the title has the word "General" somewhere in it. "The -------- ------------- General" it referred to the General who would enforce the equality.

[/quote]

From Wiki:

In the story, social equality has been achieved by handicapping the more intelligent, athletic or beautiful members of society. For example, strength is handicapped by the requirement to carry weight, beauty by the requirement to wear a mask and so on. This is due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the United States Constitution. This process is central to the society, designed so that no one will feel inferior to anyone else. Handicapping is overseen by the United States Handicapper General, Diana Moon-Glampers.

Thank you all! I was in 8th grade about 27 years ago…so my memory was fogged up with the words United States Handicapper and General Diana Moon-Glampers. I kept thinking the title was something like the Glamper Stomper General

Now I’ll be off to find a copy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.