Shorts at weekday Mass

This Spring I’m planning to start attending weekday Mass on a daily basis. Since early mornings in Texas can be quite humid and hot, I was considering wearing shorts to Mass since I will be walking (1 1/2 miles each direction) to and from the church. The shorts and tops will be relatively dressy and in good taste.

I would never consider wearing shorts to Sunday Mass, but was wondering if you guys think it would be acceptable for weeday Mass.

When it’s hot in the summer I sometimes wear shorts to daily Mass. Then again, I go to a Newman Center where the atmosphere is slightly more relaxed.

[quote=wynd]When it’s hot in the summer I sometimes wear shorts to daily Mass. Then again, I go to a Newman Center where the atmosphere is slightly more relaxed.
[/quote]

That’s a good thought. My parish is about 1/2 mile for the college I graduated from. It’s been almost 30 years since I was in school and I think there was a Newman Center at that time, but I don’t think there is, now. In that case, my parish probably serves as the university’s Newman Center. I know I’ve heard my priest address “students” in Sunday Mass and I had the distinct impression that he was talking about the college students.

I lived in South Texas for almost 7 years, it is soooo hot and humid! I absolutely see no problem with wearing shorts for daily Mass as long as they are tasteful (on the dressy side like you said).

P.S. - drinks a lot of water too since you’ll be doing all that walking, Texas heat is hell…lol.

Shorts no issue. Artificial clothing codes which take no account of climate and locations is not what the Church intends. The key issue is an appropriate degree of modesty and discretion and more importantly your spiritual approach - ie what is going on in your head

If it means going to Mass and not going…off you go, however it would not be the preferred option.

The old Catechisms said as much for workmen going in working clobber, better to go than not at all.

[quote=LeahInancsi]This Spring I’m planning to start attending weekday Mass on a daily basis. Since early mornings in Texas can be quite humid and hot, I was considering wearing shorts to Mass since I will be walking (.
[/quote]

I also live in deep SoTex (RG valley), and in the summer I wear bike shorts (in cool max or moisture wicking fabric) under a cotton skirt, much cooler than slacks and good for work, Church etc. Actually better than shorts alone when you sit on a hot car seat, and keeps your legs from sticking to the pews. Shorts alone are not an option for me out in public, the world is not ready for that much of my tush.

At daily Mass everyone is off to work so wear whatever you are putting on for the activities of the day (unless that is going to the beach, of course).

I wonder where the idea came from that shorts are cooler than pants. I remember reading once that there is a reason that Arabs wear turbins and flowing robes, to hold the moisture close to their body. Heck, look at old pictures of the French Foreign Legion, they wore wool coats in the desert! I remember uncles that were farmers and they always wore coveralls, a long sleeved shirt with the top button buttoned and a broad brimmed hat when they worked in the fields. I once asked Uncle Roy why, and he replied that if he wore a short sleeved shirt, or no shirt, he would be more likely to get heat stroke. The old timers probably knew something that we have ignored in recent years.

[quote=SnorterLuster]I wonder where the idea came from that shorts are cooler than pants. I remember reading once that there is a reason that Arabs wear turbins and flowing robes, to hold the moisture close to their body. Heck, look at old pictures of the French Foreign Legion, they wore wool coats in the desert! I remember uncles that were farmers and they always wore coveralls, a long sleeved shirt with the top button buttoned and a broad brimmed hat when they worked in the fields. I once asked Uncle Roy why, and he replied that if he wore a short sleeved shirt, or no shirt, he would be more likely to get heat stroke. The old timers probably knew something that we have ignored in recent years.
[/quote]

There’s another part to this story that I didn’t mention. I have a vast wordrobe of very nice shorts and tops that I’ve never worn. This would be a good way for me to get some use out of them. The summer slacks I have, I wore to work with sweaters to keep warm in the freezing cold air conditioning. I would most likely have a heat stroke wearing the slacks and sweaters.

Also, I’ll be walking in the shade most of the time and don’t want to be sweaty when I get to Mass.

I’m just wondering what is the difference in Daily Mass & Mass on Sunday morning? Now my opinion is that I have never and will never wear shorts to Mass period. I just don’t like to see anyone’s bare legs:eek: at Mass, I don’t think it’s appropriate. I live in Florida, so I know what hot weather is about. If I had to walk to Mass, I would wear slacks and walking shoes most likely. Other than that, I wear shorts all the time and have no problem with shorts themselves, just not at Mass. I also don’t wear and will never wear jeans to Mass, either. I think you should go to Mass dressed better than a trip to the grocery store.That’s just my humble opinion.

[quote=Lucania]I’m just wondering what is the difference in Daily Mass & Mass on Sunday morning? Now my opinion is that I have never and will never wear shorts to Mass period. I just don’t like to see anyone’s bare legs:eek: at Mass, I don’t think it’s appropriate. I live in Florida, so I know what hot weather is about. If I had to walk to Mass, I would wear slacks and walking shoes most likely. Other than that, I wear shorts all the time and have no problem with shorts themselves, just not at Mass. I also don’t wear and will never wear jeans to Mass, either. I think you should go to Mass dressed better than a trip to the grocery store.That’s just my humble opinion.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with you. That’s why I’m asking the question.

There’s a good chance that I will drive to weekday Mass because it is at 8am. I’m not a morning person and walking to Mass would require that I get up earlier than if I were to drive. If I drive, I’ll definitely wear slacks.

I miss the rest of Texas, but I don’t miss the Texas heat and humidity.

[quote=Lucania]I’m just wondering what is the difference in Daily Mass & Mass on Sunday morning? Now my opinion is that I have never and will never wear shorts to Mass period.** I just don’t like to see anyone’s bare legs:eek: at Mass, I don’t think it’s appropriate**. I live in Florida, so I know what hot weather is about. If I had to walk to Mass, I would wear slacks and walking shoes most likely. Other than that, I wear shorts all the time and have no problem with shorts themselves, just not at Mass. I also don’t wear and will never wear jeans to Mass, either. I think you should go to Mass dressed better than a trip to the grocery store.That’s just my humble opinion.
[/quote]

You wouldn’t like the way some of our EMHC dress then. In the summer, it’s common to see them in shorts :eek: It sets a very bad example for others, IMO. People have become too casual about how they dress for Mass.

I find skirts to be just as cool as shorts, and there’s no question of appropriateness at all, as long as they’re not too short.

Betsy

No shorts for me at daily Mass…if it is a very hot day, I’ll wear a sundress (with a sweater or shawl on top for Mass). Shorts just wouldn’t seem fitting (or look all that great)…

I also live in an area with hot and humid summer weather. I’ve never seen anyone wearing shorts to church - maybe I’m very lucky! Most people at my church dress in a very conservative manner and shorts aren’t considered suitable public clothing for adults here. I usually wear a long skirt or loose-fitting trousers in summer. I think shorts are too casual for Mass and not cooler than a long skirt or trousers anyhow.

Gearoidin

How about that happy medium, the capri pants? I don’t feel shorts are appropriate, so capri’s are what I wear to daily Mass in the summertime.

[quote=LeahInancsi]There’s another part to this story that I didn’t mention. I have a vast wordrobe of very nice shorts and tops that I’ve never worn. This would be a good way for me to get some use out of them. The summer slacks I have, I wore to work with sweaters to keep warm in the freezing cold air conditioning. I would most likely have a heat stroke wearing the slacks and sweaters.

Also, I’ll be walking in the shade most of the time and don’t want to be sweaty when I get to Mass.
[/quote]

If you’re going to get heat stroke, I’m sure you’re doing the best you can by wearing shorts. If you were driving I’d suggest pants if you had them. It’s certainly better to get to Mass than to not get there at all or to be incoherrant (I’ve had heatstoke before and it’s not a pretty site!)

When I visit my grandpa in Vegas in the summer, I wear shorts and a t-shirt to sunday mass.

[quote=paramedicgirl]. People have become too casual about how they dress for Mass.
[/quote]

I agree. It’s like “casual Friday” at Mass:confused: , although I have not noticed anyone wearing shorts to Mass at my Parish. My Priest put up a sign on the front door of our Church asking that you dress respectfully in the presence of Our Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.