Shorts to mass when cycling

Hi, so first of all, I know that wearing shorts to mass is not really appropriate. But, when I cycle to mass, can I wear shorts (roughly 26°C)? Because I think it would be really hot in jeans or in trousers or something like that. And yes, my dad would drive me to mass I think but I just want to cycle. What do you think?
Thanks for responses :slightly_smiling_face:
Have a nice day!

2 Likes

I think it’s ok since you aren’t at Mass yet. I think you can change into something more appropriate when you have arrived at church.

6 Likes

Walk, run, skip, jump, limp, crawl, bike to mass…just go to mass

The Mass is the joy of heaven coming to earth. Its about worship and adoration of the Lamb.

I’m not recalling any scriptural reference of signs posted at the gates of New Jerusalem stating, “appropriate attire required”.

Thankfully, God is more concerned with the disposition of our hearts, rather than appearance…otherwise a guy with an ugly mug like mine would have no hope of salvation!

Rejoice and be glad!

14 Likes

Ask your pastor his thoughts.

2 Likes

I don’t know that there is anything wrong with it, provided we’re not talking about really short shorts, or shorts that are really frayed and ratty.

My concern would be arriving at Mass all sweaty. I applaud you for wanting to get your exercise, but it won’t be too pleasant for the people near you if you’re sweating and panting.

2 Likes

Well I’m an avid cyclist. I’m 10 km short of 5000 km this season, which I’ll arrive at today. Like many hard-core cyclists, I wear spandex cycling shorts and tight-fitting jerseys. I’m 62 and I scare even myself when I see myself in the mirror :rofl: but there’s nothing better for serious cycling.

That said, I do have a pair of normal-looking cycling shorts; they are regular shorts but with a cycling short liner, and a normal-looking synthetic shirt that wicks away moisture for when I want to cycle somewhere for a casual meal with friends or my kids.

Though I never wear suits and ties, I don’t wear shorts or jeans to Mass either. One can always carry a small backpack with a pair of chinos and a regular shirt, and change into them or put them over your cycling shorts, and cycle at a relaxed pace to avoid getting sweaty.

I’ve spent some time in the Netherlands where everyone cycles everywhere, including to church. They have bikes that are designed for use in street clothes, with chain guards, etc. but there’s no reason why one couldn’t cycle to Mass in N. America. It’s an increasingly popular and ecological form of transportation.

6 Likes

I agree with Gio. we are to attend a very solemn celebration and i think we should dress up appropriately. I believe if you are to meet a VIP , you will be oblige to dress up. In the mass we are not meeting just someone, we are meeting God.

7 Likes

If the Mass is the earthly version of heavenly worship relayed through the word’s of John, do we appear before the throne of the Lamb in tuxedos or naked, or in the eyes of God, does it make a difference if our hearts are properly disposed?

Sometimes I wonder if what is offensive or viewed as “correct” by us is even a concern of God.

If it is a concern of God, we have far bigger issues to deal with which impact our salvation than what we wear to worship our Lord and Savior.

2 Likes

well, for me, i feel naked if i will go to mass in shorts. i feel that i am disrespecting the occasion. i am not good in pointing exact verse in the bible , but do you know the story wherein people are invited in the feast and they were thrown out because they were not wearing appropriate clothes? i just thought of it.
its a very small thing for me to do, so i do it.

2 Likes

Fair enough…my point is because others would do it, the OP doesn’t need to stand to their worldly standards, but only to the heavenly standards of God.

1 Like

THIS. If people judge you, reread @dscath’s beautiful sentence.

Edited to add:
Are you a teen? The reason I ask is that I was a teen who went to church by myself. From 12-13 until I was married (24) I sat alone at church (I was still evangelical, but this principle applies). It takes a certain amount courage to walk in by yourself every week. Take heart–your diligence and love will be rewarded.

1 Like

What’s small for one, is mighty for another.

The point of that story is that they should not have been thrown out.

I understand what you are saying. For me dressing up is chinos and a nice shirt. You’ll never get me in a suit though I may don a sport jacket if it’s a really special occasion. Tie? Forget it! Hate the things. I too won’t wear shorts to Mass however, unless really caught short on a Sunday.

We need to remember however that very holy monks and friars almost all wear very simple, sometimes coarse, habits. Humble and modest simplicity means we are to a very minor extent sharing in Christ’s own poverty. He is our Lord, but He also took on humanity’s humblest condition. I think that’s something to emulate.

1 Like

:smile: you made me check the bible. it is from Mt 22:1-14. the parable of the wedding feast.

My bad, I was thinking of something else. Keep in mind though that this is a parable. Usually means Jesus is speaking allegorically to illustrate a point, not speaking literally.

yup, i mean jeans and shirt. that’s it.

yes i know. thank you. i enjoyed talking.

What? The point of the story is that they were actually offered appropriate clothing, but chose not to wear it, and were ‘thrown out’ due to lack of respect.

I was told that according to Jewish custom of the time of Jesus, weddings were formal affairs and that people were expected to wear their best. But since a person could be invited but not have good clothing (poor relatives for example) the host of a wedding would supply appropriate wedding garments for his guests who might not have them, in order that they could then join the feast.

So the man in the parable who was not wearing an appropriate garment was not some poor fellow who didn’t have the right wear and was unfairly tossed out. He was a guest, he chose to accept the invitation, and then when offered a garment because he was inappropriately attired, rudely refused to change “his” clothing and expected to wear what HE wanted. That is why he was cast out.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s my bad. I was either remembering it wrong or thinking of something else entirely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.