Should a Catholic wedding always have Communion?

I am a craddle catholic who is marrying a non-Cathloic, baptized man in the Catholic church. My parents are very upset that I have chosen not to have a full mass. I chose so b/c I do not want to create division at what is supposed to be the most unifying experience of our lives. My parents say I am “denying Christ”, that I’m “holding my wedding in His living room and blatently not inviting him by not having communion.” Am I wrong to not have a full mass, even though it would hurt my husband (by being denied Christ at the alter)? Please help.

Linda,

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! These first three links should give you the assurance you are looking for about having a wedding service and not a nuptial Mass. The bottom two have resources you might find useful during this time. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Can we have a Catholic wedding without Mass?

Is it possible to forego Communion at a nuptial Mass?
Should interfaith couples have a nuptial Mass?

Are there any resources for newly-engaged couples?
How do you honor difficult parents?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.