Should A Christian Be President of the United States?

According to news reports, a candidate for the Republican nomination for president of the United States was asked whether a Muslim should be president of the United States and he responded that he did not think so. Later, according to other news reports, he “clarified” that he meant that the American people are not ready for that.

I immediately thought of Martin Luther’s comment that he would rather have a competent “Turk” as prince than an incompetent Christian. In other words, for Luther, one’s religion does not matter to how well he or she leads a nation-state; what matters is how competent he or she is to lead. (In Luther’s time “Turk” was virtually synonymous with “Muslim.”)

patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/2015/09/should-a-christian-be-president-of-the-united-states/

I believe it does matter since we were founded on Judeao(spelling) Christian principles

Well, we’ve had 4 presidents who were Unitarian, which isn’t exactly Jewish nor Christian, and the country seems to have survived it.

My guess is that as we move more into the ‘none of the above’ category of faith, our leaders might easily fit there rather than a specific faith tradition.

Well, i agree with Ben Carson that a Muslim president is not good idea. Look how it has turned out so far with a Muslim president

It’s hard to argue against competence as the top priority for President or any other job.

I think we are looking to reasoned, well thought out responses to the article, not juvenile hit and run posts.
:cool:

Non-American commenting here. Personally, I’d agree with Luther: as long as you’re competent, IMHO it wouldn’t matter if you’re animist or Zoroastrian or black or purple. Better an able ‘Turk’ rather than an inept Christian indeed. (There have been seven prime ministers in Japan who were Christian, and not all of them were exemplary, either in their politics or their religion.)

Forgive my sharp tongue here, but if you want only a Christian to run the country, then why not make a ‘Christians only’ nation and boot all those ‘infidels’ out: the Muslims and the Jews and the atheists can all have their own countries, from here it’s a Christian-only club. :shrug:

Just posting an opinion shared by others. you’re post is juvenile

What?

Sorry, i have been insulted on this thread and won’t be posting anymore

And not just princes or presidents, but any profession. I’ve dealt with competent & incompetent professionals - some were Christian, some were not. I used to have a doctor who was Hindu. He was very good. I had another doctor who was Catholic & she was so-so. I’d much rather work with a competent non-Christian than an incompetent Christian.

It is not an indifferent matter, because the welfare of society depends, in large part, on just laws and policies, and on just leaders; and while other faiths have parts of the truth, the Church has the fullness.

Granted, an incompetent Christian would be bad, but a competent Christian, all else being equal, is to be preferred. Competent both as a Christian and as a leader; and hopefully, holy, and firmly rooted in the Church’s teachings, so as to make judgments informed by divine law.

Our nation’s motto is “One Nation Under God (capital ’ G ’ )” : I prefer a Christian President, of course.

Agree completely.
Carson made a simplistic, silly remark meaningful only to bigots in his party.

Don’t worry Michael 168,

I often post as you did above.

It’s not a juvenile hit and run as somn of niall believes and that jinglebell doesn’t even understand.

It’s that your thinking is too wry (in a good way) and quick for some. They could roll it over for a few minutes and maybe “get it”.

In the meantime, you’re right and I’m certainly hoping that the next president doesn’t make things worse than they are right now. A strong president might have prevented all the strife in the Middle East and may have prevented the migrant problem in Europe. A christian president might have continued our relationship with Israel.

I say, may have, because only two things in life are certain.

Oh. And anyone can post.

God bless

Patrick, We used to be only a christian nation. I miss those good ole’ days. Do you think we’re better off now? Do you think you would be well-received in a muslim nation? I have a friend that lived in Saudi Arabia for a few years. They sure don’t feel the same way about us.

I feel sorry that your niceness is not reciprocated.

Fran

A Catholic would be ideal, but because he would be limited by the constraints of the indifferent and Free Masonic Constitution, he wouldn’t be able to effectively promote the Social Kingship of Jesus Christ. But perhaps he could at least steer us in the right direction.

The constitution was written by Christians, you do know that right?

Mr. Biden is Catholic. But I won’t be voting for him should he choose to run.

Growing up in the early 1960s, our leaders said we should be proud of our “Judeo-Christian Heritage.” They were 100% right. 100%.

John F. Kennedy was Catholic. Right before he was elected, there was an outcry: “He’s going to call the Pope when he needs to make a decision.” The last Christmas card that was ready to be sent from the White House showed a photo of a Nativity scene in the White House.

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/02/12/almost-all-u-s-presidents-have-been-christians/

I take issue with the way Thomas Jefferson is characterized in the above link. From a panel at the Jefferson Memorial"

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever. Commerce between master and slave is despotism. Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Establish a law for educating the common people. This it is the business of the state and on a general plan.”

I’m more concerned about a person’s qualifications and personal statements about what he or she would do if elected, along with their past voting record, with religion being a factor to some degree.

Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.