Should a wife be able to divorce a husband who is abusive?

If an annulment was granted, wouldn’t that mean the children conceived during such a union are illegitimate? Is it really right to bastardize her children?

:confused:

=joebillington1;11535698]If an annulment was granted, wouldn’t that mean the children conceived during such a union are illegitimate? Is it really right to bastardize her children?

I’m NOT a Canon Lawyer, However I Do believe the position on the RCC on this issue is Separation and guidance counselling; NOT divorce

No the children were conceived and born when the marriage was by all aspects VALID and LICIT. The same as a civil divorce.:shrug:

I suspect that this is a drive-by poster, with no CAF posting history. I strongly urge others to resist the desire to reply here.

Not exactly. From For Your Marriage:

Some abused women believe that Catholic Church teaching on the permanence of marriage requires them to stay in an abusive relationship. They may hesitate to seek a separation or divorce. They may fear that they cannot re-marry in the Catholic Church.

In When I Call for Help: A Pastoral Response to Domestic Violence Against Women, the Catholic bishops emphasize that “no person is expected to stay in an abusive marriage.” Violence and abuse, not divorce, break up a marriage. The abuser has already broken the marriage covenant through his or her abusive behavior. Abused persons who have divorced may want to investigate the possibility of seeking an annulment.

I agree. I did try, though. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.