Should a woman wear lipstick when planning to receive communion via mouth?

I do not know if this has been asked,but I often wonder myself if I should abstain from wearing it.Please tell me.:confused:

It’s not typically a problem . . . so don’t feel that you must or should wait until after Communion before applying.

I really can’t see why it would matter either way.

Yeah I do not see why not. I mean it is not abstructing the liturgy of the Eucharist. The only thing you would have to worry about would be ingesting rubbed off lipstick caught on the bread, and I am a guy who doesn’t know anything about the properties of lipstick.

I am a Eucharistic Minister and I’ve never heard any objection to this. We carefully wipe the chalice after each person receives the Precious Blood, so if that is what you are worried about, not a problem. For receiving the Precious Body, again, I can’t see any problem…

Only on the lips. Not on the tongue.

I am occasionally a Eucharistic cup minister, and it really bothers me when I have to wipe off so much lipstick from the cup…it actually makes me sick to my stomache. It doesn’t seem right…

I didn’t think of that. I’m inclined to agree. If you’re a woman who wears lipstick, perhaps you should not wear it if you intend to receive from the chalice.

Woe to those, male or female, who have dry lip syndrome and have to habitually use blixtex or some other lip balm.

Woe to those, male or female, who have dry lip syndrome and have to habitually use blixtex or some other lip balm.

Medicine is one thing.

Cosmetics are another.

In fact, it doesn’t matter: the substances at the base of both are the same and leave the same residue. The only real difference is one has color added, and one sometimes has a distinct odor of eucalyptus.

But this thread is really about reception on the tongue. Which means under one Species. My previous comment was sarcastic. I suppose I should have used the “smiley” but I didn’t.

I don’t want to come off as being inordinately tacky, or disrespectful making a reply to this thread. As a man I would think a number of women reading through this thread might be inclined to take insult to some replies. With all due respect women have been wearing lipstick for thousands of years, which is in itself a norm in relation to femininity. Unless such lipstick application is exuberant in nature why even give this discussion an ear to unsettled minds. I’m quite sure that women who come to the front of the church to receive the Blessed Sacrament in the Eucharist are more focused in trying to place their souls in a humble state of heart and definitely not thinking about the lipstick they are wearing at the same time.

If you’re concerned, try using one of the lipcolors that have a color component and a gloss component, and leave off the gloss. These long-lasting lipcolors are great anyway. They never rub off on anything. I like Cover Girl Outlast every day. And I just toss the gloss in the trash, as I never use it at all.

Betsy

I made up my mind not to wear it anymore for church.It is a frivolous detail and It takes away from the reverence with which I want to approach my communion, if I am worried it may tint the host or accidentally stain the fingers of the minister.
Thank you for your entries.:stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. I didn’t know that. I never use the stuff, being of the estrogen-challenged persuasion myself.

As an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, I am not bothered by lipstick, as I wear it myself. However, I try to wear something muted when I am assisting at Mass, especially since my Parochial Vicar told me to use something a little more subtle as he didn’t want his antique chalice stained with Bare Escentuals lip color.

Just a teeny tiny bit of clarification for the newbies: we are not Eucharistic Ministers. That term is reserved only for the priest and the bishop as they are the ones who confect (cause to happen) the Eucharist. The deacon, by virtue of his ordination, is an ordinary minister of Holy Communion (along with the priest and the bishop). As laity, we are Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. We are such because we serve an extraordinary function. Now, back to the discussion.

Someone made the comment to me that lipstick is hard to remove from the purificator. However, because lipstick is made of oils (natural ingredients, if you will), once the purificators have been rinsed in the sacrarium and ready to be washed, detergent does a great job of removing the stain, especially Tide. I am not sure if Oxy Clean is allowed, but, I do know that the first rector of the Cathedral told us not to use fabric softener.

Indeed, after rinsing in the sacrarium, the linens are good to go in the Maytag. I can’t see any problem with Oxy Clean: I think it contains oxygen bleach (like the old Oxydol) and even the stronger chlorine bleach is ok, so why not the more gentle kind? Not using fabric softener puzzles me, though. I can understand not using it on real linen because fabric softener seems to do a job on the structure of the fabric (I love linen, but it’s kind of fussy), but most altar “linens” these days are (unfortunately) anything but: cotton/polyester blends seem to be the order of the say with no hint of the real thing involved. If we look at that way, it doesn’t seem there should be any reason not to use an artificial substance to clean an artificial fabric.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.