Should beliefs be based on logic?

Do you believe or stop believing in something by way of some logical, philosophical argument?

Yes, I do. Or at least, I try to. And I think beliefs definitely should be based in logic.

Absolutely yes.

I returned to the Church because it presented the most logical arguments for existence, purpose, etc.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__PX.HTM

CCC 156 What moves us to believe is not the fact that revealed truths appear as true and intelligible in the light of our natural reason: we believe “because of the authority of God himself who reveals them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived”.28 So "that the submission of our faith might nevertheless be in accordance with reason, God willed that external proofs of his Revelation should be joined to the internal helps of the Holy Spirit."29 Thus the miracles of Christ and the saints, prophecies, the Church’s growth and holiness, and her fruitfulness and stability “are the most certain signs of divine Revelation, adapted to the intelligence of all”; they are “motives of credibility” (motiva credibilitatis), which show that the assent of faith is “by no means a blind impulse of the mind”.30

Belief is based on faith.

I have faith - belief in the Trinity.

I have faith - belief in the Virgin Birth of our Dear Lord and Savior.

I have faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I have faith in the Sacraments.

I have faith in Jesus - Truly Present - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity - in the Holy Eucharist.

I have faith in the existence of Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell.

I have faith in much more… logic or proof does not need to exist.

(Any philosophical argument - could - most likely - produce some sort of “philosophical logic” based on the exceptional presentation of the presenter. Thus, showing even false teachings as truth.)

I have faith and do not need logic to uphold my faith - my beliefs.

Same thing here! :thumbsup:

There is no sense without logic this universe Runs with logic not Magic So yes.

I think it would be correct to say that the true source of knowledge about God is God Himself, but that reason is that which we use to determine what such purported knowledge could have God as source (and hence be true), given that we are given conflicting claims.

So yes in the sense that everything I believe I believe to be supported by logic, and everything that is contradictory to logic is wrong, but no in the sense that the truth itself that we are believing is not completely revealed by our natural reason alone, but rather by the action of God (although that it is so is confirmed by natural reason, once natural reason has the idea to work with).

Of course, given that Christ is the Logos, I suppose you could say that such truth is generated by supernatural Reason.

Hello,

Yes, The only Catechism I accept is that God is One. He never gave anything else. The rest of my catechism is all based on logic.

Thanks for the great responses.

Additional question: Is common sense somewhat subjective?

I am not sure I can verbalize my feelings (which I hold superior, because of our being human, to thought alone. Logic without the Heart - you are lost.).

You refer to two assumptions prevalent in this modern age, a very bad combination which has led mankind astray and resulted in much spiritual emptiness in today’s world: the primacy of thought and of the subjective.

Logic must to be founded on Truth but has come to mean mathematical, empirical and devoid of meaning.
IMHO much of modern thought is like gathering a bunch of pixels and shuffling them into any image you want.
However, if you want your thoughts to reflect reality, some sort of revelation is required.

Subjectivity suggests it’s how you see things, how you feel about things that is important.
Beauty and truth is seen to be in the eye of the beholder and not in the beloved and the Real.

In the end the Truth is manifested in action, action which is not solitary but exercised within God’s church.
I don’t pray, I don’t believe, we do.
In Adam we have fallen and in Christ we are saved.

Just some random thoughts; hope they relate and make some sense.

“The heart has its reasons that reason does not know.” Pascal - *Pensées :slight_smile:

Not yet! I study philosophy but only Thomism. If faith depended on logic most of us would never get there because most of us are not logic.

Linus2nd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.