Should Catholic Churches Have Cell-Phone Blocking Devices to Block Signals???

SilencePlease.com

Just came across an ad for a Cellphone blocking device.
Should our Churches install these? Check out link above. It looks as if an idividual can carry it on their person and block cell phones whereever they go.

http://www.silenceplease.com/images/silencehead.jpg

Yep. Screw the laws on jamming equipment on this one. Just do it.

As a Catholic in a place of worship, it should be unnecessary to request that all cell-phones be silenced like they do at the movies (especially since some priests have been known to answer theirs during service).

But it might be discreet to have a deacon or altar boy stand by the doorway or entrance and make this request as worshipers enter the Church.

LOL a bunch of cellphones went off in church today. doo dee doo dee dooo dood dooo deed doo dee dooo.

My mother is a pediatrician and whenever she is on call, she needs her pager to do her job. As a matter of respect for other parishoners, when I go to church, I leave my phone on vibrate. If my friends call, I see them on caller ID and don’t answer. But, if there is an important message, or my sister needs me to come home for any reason, then I need to be able to receive it.

Eamon

aren’t these illegal in the US?

I voted:
What if there were a parishioner on call who is a medical worker? I’m not sure about this.
However, if I remember correctly, many medical professions cannot use cell phones when they are at work since it can interfere with medical equipment. That is why you see many doctors with beepers.

A possible alternative in something from my old school days. When the cell phone goes off, confiscate the phone until the end of Mass. I have a feeling that will cut down on the number of phones going off in Church…

An interesting note. When I lived in the Dallas area, there was a story about some findamentalist churches contracting out some of thier church towers to hold cell phone antennas. Immagine doing that and then telling members you could not use cell phones:bigyikes:

PF

P.S: I always leave my phone in the car.

Dear Wander,
When one is ‘on call’ that means that the hospital can call them in. Sometimes I will be on call in my job as a nurse. So, I must be available by phone. It has nothing to do with medical equipment.

I’m pretty sure most equipment is cellphone safe now. We have no restrictions where I work and most patients bring their phones to the hospital with them.

I have only heard a phone once or twice and I don’t think it is pervasive. I think people need to monitor themselves. I think there are all kinds of reasons that a person could need phone to activate silently. That way they know they are needed but they don’t interrupt others: medical people and just us regular folks that are helping with an aging parent or sick child.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]A possible alternative in something from my old school days. When the cell phone goes off, confiscate the phone until the end of Mass.
[/quote]

Yeah. Good luck with that one.

[quote=WhiteDove]Dear Wander,
When one is ‘on call’ that means that the hospital can call them in. Sometimes I will be on call in my job as a nurse. So, I must be available by phone. It has nothing to do with medical equipment.

I’m pretty sure most equipment is cellphone safe now. We have no restrictions where I work and most patients bring their phones to the hospital with them.
[/quote]

So pick a time when the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is more important than being “on-call” and attend Mass then.

There are a host of jobs that require keeping in touch – law enforcement, fire, military, etc. yet it only seems like medical workers feel the need to bring cell phones to Mass.

Maybe your employer should know that you attend Mass for 55 minutes on Sunday and that you will be unavailable during that period? That seems like a very reasonable request – something their legal department would certainly respect.

I know cops/deputies that do exactly that – with their cruisers in the parking lot…

[quote=turboEDvo]My mother is a pediatrician and whenever she is on call, she needs her pager to do her job. As a matter of respect for other parishoners, when I go to church, I leave my phone on vibrate. If my friends call, I see them on caller ID and don’t answer. But, if there is an important message, or my sister needs me to come home for any reason, then I need to be able to receive it.

Eamon
[/quote]

Nope.

First, you are certainly not treating the Mass with the respect it deserves, nor are you getting as much out of it as you could be so long as you are checking your phone during the Mass. That’s rediculous.

Second, up until ~1985 there were no cell phones, yet people still went to Mass, so you don’t “need” to have your phone.

All a matter of priorities…

[quote=Nota Bene] Nope.

First, you are certainly not treating the Mass with the respect it deserves, nor are you getting as much out of it as you could be so long as you are checking your phone during the Mass. That’s rediculous.

Second, up until ~1985 there were no cell phones, yet people still went to Mass, so you don’t “need” to have your phone.

[/quote]

You said what I wanted to say before I could!

Give God ONE UNINTERRUPTED HOUR!!! Is that too much to ask?

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter.
Matthew 26:39-41

’thann

Cell phones are not nearly as bad as all the hand holding, non ordained homilists, holding one arm up by everyone to bless one person, “litugical” dancing, rainbow sashers, superficial homilies, etc. After all these things are corrected I will start to worry about cell phones.

[quote=WhiteDove]SilencePlease.com

Just came across an ad for a Cellphone blocking device.
Should our Churches install these? Check out link above. It looks as if an idividual can carry it on their person and block cell phones whereever they go.

http://www.silenceplease.com/images/silencehead.jpg
[/quote]

I think that it should be basic commen sense not to leave your cell on while in church. I would think it horrible to have to go to these extremes to stop it. I guess it is going on though.

[quote=fix]Cell phones are not nearly as bad as all the hand holding, non ordained homilists, holding one arm up by everyone to bless one person, “litugical” dancing, rainbow sashers, superficial homilies, etc. After all these things are corrected I will start to worry about cell phones.
[/quote]

Oh no not that again!!!

[quote=Nota Bene]Nope.

[/quote]

This is for weekday masses when my parents aren’t home to watch my sister. Yes, she does need to be able to get ahold of me if she needs to. I’m not saying I need to be available 24/7, regardless of where I am. You talked about my priorities: family is a priority. If I have no reason to keep my phone on at mass, then I don’t. During Sunday masses, or when someone is watching her, I turn it off. I do hope I haven’t offended you by looking out for my family.

Eamon

No way! If ya have one and you’re going to Mass (or anywhere where they will make inappropriate noise), then set the stupid thing on vibe and check to see if what you missed is an emergency.

It’s just common sense…and common courtesy…

[quote=Nota Bene]So pick a time when the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is more important than being “on-call” and attend Mass then.

There are a host of jobs that require keeping in touch – law enforcement, fire, military, etc. yet it only seems like medical workers feel the need to bring cell phones to Mass.

Maybe your employer should know that you attend Mass for 55 minutes on Sunday and that you will be unavailable during that period? That seems like a very reasonable request – something their legal department would certainly respect.

I know cops/deputies that do exactly that – with their cruisers in the parking lot…
[/quote]

Uh, I live in a rural area with limited options for Masstimes. This would be an issue for some nurses who work 12 shifts, and are not able to attend Mass every other weekend, but might get low census, stand-by call sometimes and still be able to attend Mass, but they need to be on call in case the hospital gets admits.

FYI, low census is when you stay home when the patient census of the hospital goes down. Stand by call means that you are on call and must be able to be reached in case there are admits. I think it’s nice if people can be a little flexible and charitable towards nurses and other medical workers so they can attend Mass. It’s a very stressful job!

[quote=WhiteDove]Dear Wander,

[/quote]

WhiteDove:

Thanks for the information. I still assumed that cell phone were a no-no because there were signs to that affect where I had bloodwork done a couple of years back.

I think my cell would cause a stir since I have Beethoven Nineth as my tone :whistle:

PF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.