Should Catholic universities refuse to recognize student groups that are opposed to Church teaching?

Let’s assume we are dealing with a orthodox Catholic university which has a diverse student body with many Catholics and non-Catholics on campus. Let’s also assume that some of the non-Catholic students want to form their own student organizations (for this example let’s use a Hindu Students Group, an Atheist/Agnostic Students Group, a Protestant Students Group, and an LGBT Students Group).

Would it be morally acceptable for a Catholic university to refuse to officially recognize one or more of these groups if their views are not morally acceptable or reject Church teaching? I’m especially curious about atheist student groups, pro-choice groups, etc. that students may want to form. I’m inclined to say that it would be acceptable for a Catholic university to refuse recognition to such groups, but this might also create tension and ultimately drive people away from the Church.

I’m curious about the morality of this situation.

Pax Tecum!

Well I have an opinion on this.
If you are a student and decide to go to a Catholic university you need to respect their standards. As a student there you need to also respect that some views are not morally acceptable to the Church and thereby the university.
From the viewpoint of the university I would say that it would be wrong to call the university Catholic if it does not support, proclaim and teach Catholic morality.
It would be morally wrong to lead students into believing that the CC accepts these kind of views without correcting them. It is more important to lead any of these to faith in the Lord than it is to please the general masses.

May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus.

Your sister in Christ,
Janet

Certainly the Catholic University is not bound to recognize any student groups, particularly ones that contradict Church teaching. There may be good reason to recognize certain groups (say a non-Catholic Christian group) that, while not in union with the Church would not be necessarily acting against it.

My answer is it depends on whether the school would like to accept Federal funds. If they wish to provide their students with Federal financial aid, then they should absolutely not be permitted to discriminate on the basis of religion, ethnicity, race or gender.

My daddy taught me that “he who pays the piper, calls the tune”. If the Feds pay, the Feds say.

If they wish to fund themselves soley through tuition and contributions, they are free to act in any manner that seems appropriate to them.

Well then they shouldn’t call themselves Catholic and close their business down in general.
Where I was raised there was a public High School and a Catholic High School… The Catholic School was owned and run by the diocese, while the public school was run by the city.
The Catholic school was lenient with non-Catholic Christians, but did not let any non-Christian in.

Secular universities do not recognize every student group that forms, in particular i am thinking of pro-life groups. If these schools can discriminate in the usage of funds by student groups, then there is no conflict in Catholic schools being Catholic.

(Although I agree on principle that they should seek to get off the federal dole.)

From Apostolic Constitution Ex Corde Ecclesiae:
[size=3]Article 2. The Nature of a Catholic University[/size]

[size=3]§ 2. A Catholic University, as Catholic, informs and carries out its research, teaching, and all other activities with Catholic ideals, principles and attitudes. It is linked with the Church either by a formal, constitutive and statutory bond or by reason of an institutional commitment made by those responsible for it.[/size]

[size=3][FONT=Courier New]§ 4. Catholic teaching and discipline are to influence all university activities, while the freedom of conscience of each person is to be fully respected(46). Any official action or commitment of the University is to be in accord with its Catholic identity.[/size][/FONT]
[size=3]
[size=2][FONT=Arial]Bottom line: while the Catholic University is to respect the freedom of conscience of each individual, they are not to engage in any[/size] activity that is not in accordance with Catholic teaching and discipline.

Ex Corde Ecclesiae is an apostolic constitution. As such, adherence to it is not optional (despite what many “Catholic” (read CINO) institutions of higher learning would have you believe).
[/size][/FONT]

When I was in Federal contracting we called that the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. :smiley:

In the case of a lawsuit, because of the federal money issue, the school could simply state that it would be suspending all student organizations pending internal review. :smiley:

In reality, it is possible for Catholic schools not to recognize any given group, provided that the put a policy in place making it clear that no organizations will be allowed that contradict the mission and teaching of the Church. I don’t think a student group would come up with the funding to challenge this, let alone win.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.