Should Catholics not watch Star Wars, seeing as how Anakin was "born of a virgin?"

Only if the Catholic can’t tell the difference between pretend and real…

I don't recall Anakin being born of a virgin - admittedly it's been ages since I've seen any of the films so this part may have slipped my memory.

If it were the case, it's fiction. No biggie.

We are all born virgins, just not of Virgin Mothers.

[quote="ANNE_2, post:4, topic:235346"]
We are all born virgins, just not of Virgin Mothers.

[/quote]

Then what's the Virgin Mary????
And never disrespect Star Wars, it's the greatest thing Hollywood ever came up with

Anakin was conceived by The Force. I don't know if the mother was a virgin or not, but Anakin has no father.

In Episode One, “The Phantom Menace”, Anakin’s mother told Qui Gon Jinn the Jedi that Anakin had no father; that he was conceived and born without her ever having relations with a man and she could not explain it (it’s just sad that I know this stuff- but I have three boys). I think the whole idea (which George Lucas never further explored in other Episodes) was that Anakin was conceived entirely from the Force or some such thing.

Anyway, all geekiness aside, it is just a story, and as long as you don’t suddenly really subscribe to the whole Jedi philosophy as an actual religion, I think you’re okay.

Though some people have said that because Lucas drew heavily upon myths and eastern religions for his Star Wars stories, they should be avoided, but I think that might be getting a tad bit scrupulous. Just my humble opinion though.

May the Force be with you. :smiley:

Anakin being conceived without a father was utterly useless as far as the plot was concerned. It was pure contempt heaped upon christian faith. No other reason to put it there.

That being said, I will rent it when my kids ask for it... :(

[quote="Metalhead_Harry, post:5, topic:235346"]
And never disrespect Star Wars, it's the greatest thing Hollywood ever came up with

[/quote]

Nah, Lord of the Rings rocks. :)

They just started filming for "The Hobbit". It's going to be great! :)

[quote="irishpatrick, post:9, topic:235346"]
Nah, Lord of the Rings rocks. :)

[/quote]

Yup. If Star Wars is a 10, LotR is a 100. At least. :)

The whole miti-chlorians thing just went against everything we had learned about the force previously from Obi-Wan and Yoda, too. Lucas just lost the thread of his story in the later films…

[quote="Metalhead_Harry, post:5, topic:235346"]

[/quote]

Jesus (God) and his Blessed Mother Mary (Virgin birth of Jesus), is not cut of the same sinful cloth as the rest of humankind. Exceptions to the rule in every way.

Anakin is a fake figure who never existed.

Have you read the book? It is very good. :slight_smile:

I agree and I like Star Wars. :slight_smile:

Indeed … I think he could have done ever so much better with coming up with answers (although I think he seriously did box himself into a corner by making Luke & Leia twins).

[quote="Melissa, post:17, topic:235346"]
Indeed ... I think he could have done ever so much better with coming up with answers (although I think he seriously did box himself into a corner by making Luke & Leia twins).

[/quote]

I had no issue with Luke and Leia being twins. I remember not being particularly surprised to find that out especially once it became clear that Han was her main love interest. Luke needed to be close to her somehow.

Also the first movie was intentionally designed to be a standalone film because everyone feared it would not bring in enough money for a sequel or two. So the character development doesn't really advance as much as it does in the next two movies.

Midi-chlorians though...Grah! :banghead: Some things are just better off a mystery you know?

[quote="wild_thing, post:7, topic:235346"]
May the Force be with you. :D

[/quote]

And also with -

Uh, I mean you too. :D

[quote="stephe1987, post:10, topic:235346"]
They just started filming for "The Hobbit". It's going to be great! :)

[/quote]

As long as they don't go and ruin Tolkien by trying to shove in a "midquel" that never happened, I'll be happy (because that was what they were apparently trying to do).

[quote="ANNE_2, post:14, topic:235346"]
Anakin is a fake figure who never existed.

[/quote]

What? Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.