Should he get permission for missing Mass?

A Catholic relative of mine is going on a three day trip starting tomorrow. He won’t be able to go to Sunday Mass.

Should he get a priest’s permission, before leaving, for missing Mass this weekend? I don’t want him to commit a grave sin.

**My family use to wilderness canoe for our family vacation. I always would let my parish priest know that we would be missing Mass. When the parish was assigned a new priest he asked us about our trip. Two days of all day paddling into the woods…we were told that a priest really cannot give you permission to miss Mass. Our circumstances were such we did not need “permission.” Although we continued to seek a priest out every time we knew our trip would include being away from the Sunday obligation.

So if it is physically impossible to attend Sunday Mass - one does not need permission. **

He should discuss the matter with his pastor and ask for dispensation if it is impossible for him to attend Mass. Ideally, his travel should be planned so that he doesn’t have to miss Mass, but if that is not possible, he should talk to his pastor to request a dispensation for his Sunday obligation.

CCC 2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.

:frowning: He is leaving early in the morning. I don’t know if he has time to get a dispensation.

What should I do?

Why do you believe you need to do something? Did your relative ask for your assistance?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.