Should I attend my already baptized brothers protestant baptizm?

My brother recently became protestant and was already baptized in the catholic church but now he is getting rebaptized in some protestant church is it OK for me to attend?

No. Rebaptism is an insult to his Baptism. It is a heretical act that denies that he ever was a Christian before now. The Catholic Church is anxious to accept all valid Baptisms, no.matter who does them; but we cannot accept rebaptism.

“One Lord, one faith, one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins.”

I don’t think you have any obligation to agree, through going, that you are a heathen and your own Baptism had no effect or meaning. Do not go.

I’m not sure where the Church stands on the fact that he is being rebaptized into a Protestant church, but the baptism is still valid if it is in the Trinitarian formula. (If he was already baptised as an infant or child, then it is absolutely pointless.)

I tried finding some canon law and declarations for you, and here we are:

Those baptized in a non-Catholic ecclesial community are not to be baptized conditionally unless there is a serious reason for doubting the validity of their baptism on the ground of the matter or the form of the words used in the baptism, or of the intention of the adult being baptized or that of the baptizing minister. (Canon 869, Paragraph 2)

The essential rite of Baptism consists in immersing the candidate in water or pouring water on his head, while pronouncing the invocation of the Most Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. (CCC 1278)

The Council of Trent, confirming this tradition, defined that Baptism administered by heretics in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, with the intention of doing what the Catholic Church does is true Baptism (Council of Trent, cf. DH 1617).

Hopefully, someone else can give you a fuller answer. :wink:

Thank you for this I will not be going. But can I get more information on this topic like some examples of canon law or dogma.

Your brother was Baptized. Baptism makes him a child of God, a Christian, and removed original sin.
It doesn’t need to be done over.
If he wants to join another physical church, he can sign up.
If the people in that church don’t understand that, quoting canon law isn’t going to sway them.
They want him to renounce his Catholicism. Once you are Baptized as a Catholic you are catholic for life. There is no such thing as “I used to be Catholic”.
If I were you, I would pray that he return to the Church, and be patient with him. He probably has been love bombed, or is responding to “good music, lots of activities” as this is what other churches offer, and are good at since they provoke a feel good response from people.

But he is leaving behind the Sacraments (a superior source of grace) and most importantly, the Eucharist.
He is in need of prayers.
God bless you.

Leaving the Catholic Church for a protestant church is, objectively speaking, grave matter. Rejecting Catholic baptism as somehow invalid is grave matter. Moral culpability may be reduced by invincible ignorance.

Should you attend such an invalid baptism which rejects the Catholic faith? Only if there is a very good reason. For example, if it is essential to maintaining good relations with your brother in the hope of his later return to the Faith.

The Work of Saint Optatus
BISHOP OF MILEVIS
AGAINST THE DONATISTS
244 SIN AGAINST THE ONE BAPTISM
For with regard to any who has allowed himself to be rebaptised by you resurrection is not denied him, for he has believed in the resurrection of the Flesh. He shall rise indeed, but naked. But because he has allowed you to spoil him of his wedding garment, he shall hear the Father of the Family speak thus :
My friend, that is to say I recognise thee once thou didst renounce the devil, and wert converted to Me, and I gave thee a wedding garment. Why hast thou come thus, without that which I gave thee ? that is to say, why hast thou not what I gave thee ?
For no one can be angry with one who has not something, which has not been given him. Thou didst receive a wedding garment, together with these others, and thou alone art without one. Why hast thou come naked and doleful ? Who has torn his spoils from thee ? What thieves doors hast thou entered? What murderous robbers hast thou met on the way? However many they are who come thus, they shall have no place at that banquet.

Peace

It’s not good to encourage sin

Oh, we should add that this might be scandal overall for you. It is grave matter, as another user pointed out (schism or heresy, whichever) and it meets the other two conditions.

I’ve done it with a friend who is like a brother. I didn’t agree with it, discussed it with him and he still decided to go ahead and do it. I was Protestant at the time, but held the belief about not re-doing Baptism.

I chalk it up to one more case of a Catholic not being taught properly enough so that when presented with Protestant reasoning, they believed it.

I can’t imagine you would be expected to go.:shrug: That just seems odd. “. Hey, I don’t think your religion and baptism is worth anything so I expect you to come to mine so I can get it done properly”. ???

For the sake of loving your brother and keeping channels of communication pen I would go.

It is after all not YOU who are being baptised.

Support your kin. Love him. Honour his decisions for HIS life and he will honour your;s for YOUR life

EXCEPT: If such attendance would cause scandal. Would not a practising Catholic attending such a man-made anti-Catholic (and anti-Lutheran/anti-Orthodox/anti-Reformed/anti-Methodist) act be a public admission of, or agreement with the non-validity of the Catholic baptism?

We must remember here that “re-baptizing” is a specific European heresy. Even the early “reformers” heavily persecuted the Anabaptists (“re-baptizers”). In the strangest of ironies, those who hold to the heresy of the “believer’s baptism” also believe that baptism itself does nothing in the spiritual realm.

No, in a word. Maybe read the bio of Padre Pio and see how often he reached out to those who you would call beyond the pale, Or how Jesus Himself did so .

A Catholic attending a Protestant baptism of an already baptised Catholic should NOT be done because you would be affirming that the Catholic baptism is not valid and that the Catholic Church is wrong.
This would indeed be a cause for scandal.

:rolleyes:

I am struggling to identify what your presence at this ceremony asserts. Are you happy for your brother and wish to celebrate with him? Are you seeking to give witness to a good and important event? Would it be your plan to follow in his footsteps at some point?

I think clearly the answer is “no” to each of these. Why go? Does your brother not see the position in which he places you by inviting you?

As another poster says, it would seem the purpose of the ceremony is to symbolize the renouncing of Catholicism in favour of the Protestant Church. No further Baptism is required for one who is already baptized.

Padre Pio CERTAINLY would have never attended a “second” Baptism.
His spirit of charity and mercy cannot be compared to this instance.
It’s not a fair nor accurate comparison.

A Catholic attending a Protestant baptism of a baptised Catholic would cause as much scandal as attending a gay wedding or a civil marriage of two divorced (but not annulled) Catholics, or receiving Communion in a Protestant church.
It is irrelevant if a close relative is involved. Either we obey God or disobey God.

If I had a brother who was walking a wrong or dangerous road I would walk alongside him. Not abandon him,not set up in judgement of him and alienate him and slam doors on him.

Nothing to do with scandal or my reputation… Nowhere are we bidden abandon those we love even or especially in sin.

Jesus never did and nor did St Francis, Saint Padre Pio, or any other saint.
They walked with “sinners” and loved them.

Poor brother… Poor poor brother…

Over and out from me. I am saddened and disappointed…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.