Should I attend my son's 2 weddings?

My son and his fiance, both Catholic, live together. She scheduled a big “wedding” at a hotel, with all the guests, etc, and a minister, who comes with the hotel package. For whatever reason, perhaps our insistence, they later met with a priest and will have a Catholic wedding 2 weeks later, with almost nobody invited. Should my wife and I attend the Protestant “wedding”? I am more uneasy about “participating” in a ceremony than about just attending; not sure what the ceremony involves, or scandal to other young relatives that this is ok. But I don’t want to imperil them cancelling the Catholic wedding, which they could easily do. They did meet with a priest, at our request. We could not get them to have the Catholic wedding before the other event.

1 Like

The following link should help answer your questions. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What are the rules for attending weddings?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.